Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:13

Post subject: Re: Anne Seymour
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 11:38 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

The real culprit was Con who is treated much more kindly with no threat of sanctions, except of course that she is dreading confessing it all to Mamma.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 16:47 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

Bringing it back to Anne, maybe her trouble is that she has a colourless name - not my opinion, I hasten to add, but I can't offhand think of a CS Anne who is a leader....I'm fascinated by EBD's name choices and what they indicate about her characters, but maybe that's another thread. I mean, why are Eustacia and Theodora thought to be cumbersome but you could be Rosamund or Elinor without a problem?

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 15:06 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I have to say I'm with EBD on this - I don't like either of the names Eustacia or Theodora (or their male equivalents), but Rosamund is pretty. Elinor I have no strong feelings about.

JayB wrote:
Quote:
As a kid the impression I always had was that Anne was a bit of a lightweight - possibly a bit superficial.

Is that due to EBD always referring to her as 'pretty Anne Seymour'? (It's because of Anne that when I was primary school age, it took me quite a long time to get it fixed in my head that the third wife was Jane Seymour.)

Lol!

I've considered it but I don't think so - I think it's mostly just because she seemed a bit bland to me as a child. She doesn't get enough screen time to be considered a major character, and when she has 'lines' she's often putting someone down (who, admittedly, deserves it), which put me off her. As an older reader, I can see she's perfectly nice!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 17:58 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Some years ago, we had a Brownie called Theodora. I found it a very easy name to say and not the least cumbersome and much prefer it to Ted.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 03:25 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

To me, Eustacia and Theodora sound both old fashioned and like the parents publicly saying that they had really wanted a boy. Also names like Georgiana, Jamesina, Thomasina... Although Theodora is the nicest sounding of the lot.

Anne is described in Jo And as "one of the least of the prefects" or something like that, implying that her discipline isn't that strong. I picture her as a nice girl, but someone who doesn't really stand out. She's pleasant but fairly quiet, pretty without being beautiful, does well at schoolwork but doesn't have any particularly outstanding talents.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 14:59 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Isn't that because at that point she's one of the youngest and most junior prefects?

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:13