Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 29 May 2017, 21:57

Post subject: Jack Lambert and trilingualism (sp?)
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 21:05 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Jack Lambert is utterly desperate to go to the Chalet School, she makes such a fuss about it that her parents contemplate forbidding her to go. On the first page of Leader she says:

Quote:
"...I'm dying for it after all Auntie Gay and Auntie Jacynth have told us about it..."

However, when she arrives at the Chalet School she has this conversation with Len:

Quote:
"Here you are!" she [Len] said. "... I don't know if you speak anything but your own language."

"I don't," Jack said in a hurry, and rather appalled. "Have we got to?"

Surely if Gay and Jacynth had told her all about the Chalet School, they would have at some point mentioned the languages thing? I know EBD liked to have people surprised by the trilingual nature of the CS, but didn't Gay and Jacynth live with Jack (Gay's cousin Ruth is Jack's mother isn't she?) and her family, and it must have cropped up in conversation!

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Jack Lambert and trilingualism (sp?)
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 21:13 
Saying you only know three German words

I suppose it all depends how well you keep up with things happening in your old school. Don't forget, the time that Gay and Jacynth were at the Chalet School coincided with the war years, where language work (especially German) would have been given less importance than, say, Dig for Britain. German was reintroduced, I believe, in Thre Go, which was close to being the last year for Gay and Jacynth.

Jacynth certainly was busy forging her music career afterwards. I have no idea what Gay was doing (if anyone wants to enlighten me, please do so!), but I would imagine that, as she isn't one of the people who is mentioned a lot, until her nieces come to the school, that she wasn't in touch with the CS as much as others had been.

It may just have been a case of, you're going to go to your aunt's old school. Jack's parents might have read the prospectus, but Jack, being young and heedless, would almost certainly not have been bothered about that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 21:20 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Gay had been teaching in New Zealand, and had then got married and had (of course!) twins.

Maybe the trilingual system was a big secret :lol: . No-one ever knows about it when they first arrive at the school.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 21:30 
Climbing with your knees bent

Quote:
I would imagine that, as she isn't one of the people who is mentioned a lot, until her nieces come to the school, that she wasn't in touch with the CS as much as others had been.

Well, it's news to Len that Gay is married with children, so evidently she hadn't kept in touch. Although one would think Gill Culver might have mentioned it, or Ruth would have when writing about Ann and Jack.

And presumably Gay wasn't contacted at the time of the Coming of Age, when they were trying to gather news of all old girls and invite them to the celebrations.

But yes, I agree, the School wasn't really practising trilingualism when Gay and Jacynth were there, so if they were just talking about their own experiences, they wouldn't have mentioned it. And Jack's only just eleven when she arrives at the school, isn't she? Whatever she'd read in the prospectus, the reality probably didn't sink in until she was faced with it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 21:50 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

[quote="Alison H"
Maybe the trilingual system was a big secret :lol: . No-one ever knows about it when they first arrive at the school.[/quote]

It does seem to be the case that no parent ever shared the contents of the prospectus with their offspring. New girls are constantly surprised by information - not just about language - that you'ld have expected to be in the prospectus.

And those same parents don't share information about changes at school either. "New arrangements" including the return to the trilingual system are invariably a surprise.

The occasions when a prospectus is mentioned are often memorable precisely because it happens so rarely! Lintons (where the three language system is actually mentioned and Joyce doesn't take it seriously), Gay (where Jacynth and Auntie look over a lot of prospectuses and reject Roedean et al. on cost), Wrong, where the appearance of another Chalet School is integral to the plot. There's another occasion where a character actually asks the new girl if they did not read the prospectus and describes getting prospectuses from a lot of different schools and having fun reading them. (if I remember what book it is, I'll add the reference)

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 01:27 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

I can easily see Jack being told the school is trilingual, but not paying attention. :D But I would think the parents would have noted this, and maybe done some preparation so Anne, in particular, wasn't totally lost, as she's fourteen when she joins the school. Maybe French classes during holidays, or an after school tutor once a week.

The prospectus stuff is either in Wrong or Carola Storms (the latter, I think), and is told by Gillian Moggeridge.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 02:15 

jennifer wrote:
The prospectus stuff is either in Wrong or Carola Storms (the latter, I think), and is told by Gillian Moggeridge.

Ta muchly! It sounded like one of those books in my head

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 10:45 
Being rude to your sheepdog

jennifer wrote:
I can easily see Jack being told the school is trilingual, but not paying attention. :D But I would think the parents would have noted this, and maybe done some preparation so Anne, in particular, wasn't totally lost, as she's fourteen when she joins the school. Maybe French classes during holidays, or an after school tutor once a week.

Yeah, its in Carola, cos she can't explain why she hadn't seen a prospectus.

'Well,call me Aunt Fanny on my tombstone!'

Rosalie in 'Theodora...'

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 16:41 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Would Jack have understood what the word 'Trilingual' actually meant?

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 21:00 
Saying you only know three German words

Even if Jack had been told they needed to use three languages, she may not have realised that it meant all day, when you were without supervision and when outside. I always found it unlikely that the younger girls would actually use the language of the day if they thought they could get away with not doing so.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 21:21 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Off topic really but I've always wondered how useful would be the polyglot French/German they spoke in the common room after a day of intense concentration in class.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 21:23 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Supersal wrote:
Even if Jack had been told they needed to use three languages, she may not have realised that it meant all day, when you were without supervision and when outside. I always found it unlikely that the younger girls would actually use the language of the day if they thought they could get away with not doing so.

Same, because I knew we never did it in Irish college! We were meant to speak Irish all the time or risk being sent home. My friend came up with the idea that if you said "Tá" at the start of every sentence, even if you were overheard you couldn't be sent home because you hadn't said a *complete* English sentence.

I don't think anyone was ever sent home anyway, but I do remember someone in floods of tears because the teachers had heard her speaking English and threatened to ring her parents.

I was overheard swearing once and I didn't even get in a row... it was a scary couple of minutes though! (And yes, I knew how to swear in Irish too...)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 23:10 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Alison H wrote:
Maybe the trilingual system was a big secret :lol: . No-one ever knows about it when they first arrive at the school.

That has to be it!

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 14:35 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Parents lied to their children about it, knowing the children would never agree to go if they had to speak trilingually (or quadringually if your native tongue is not English, French or German :shock: ).

I do find it convincing that Jack hasn't picked up on it. And Joyce's vagueness is believable too.

In the Dimsie books, it seems like they're supposed to speak French in their dormitories - which seems utterly pointless as presumably the 'French' they're speaking is not French at all!

The two things I don't find convincing are a) Margot struggling in a French exam and b) the girls' horror on learning in Genius (I think?) that Mademoiselle will be teaching them French using the direct method. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 22:33 

Quote:
The two things I don't find convincing are a) Margot struggling in a French exam...

Oh, I think it's believable that Margot would be able to speak fluently enough with a good accent, from hearing French spoken around her, but would lack the correct grammar, spelling etc needed in a written exam.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 22:45 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Supersal wrote:
I always found it unlikely that the younger girls would actually use the language of the day if they thought they could get away with not doing so.

True - mine all go to a Welsh medium school and fully admit they use English with their friends as much as they can get away with, I went to a parents evening and one of the girls was talking to me (in English) as we went up the stairs and one of the teachers overheard and started to tell her off until she realised she was speaking to me and therefore is let off.

When we sent them to Welsh medium schools I kind of expected they'd talk in Welsh behind my back if they wanted to keep secrets - none of them do, occasional phrases creep in (generally resulting in great hilarity when trying to get me to say them) but (6 year old excepted) the older three view Welsh as school only - and by school they mean in lessons and exams only

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 14:37 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

JayB wrote:
Quote:
The two things I don't find convincing are a) Margot struggling in a French exam...

Oh, I think it's believable that Margot would be able to speak fluently enough with a good accent, from hearing French spoken around her, but would lack the correct grammar, spelling etc needed in a written exam.

But they have to do written work in French as well and Margot's even had two years at a French convent school! I find it unbelievable that someone as clever as Margot's supposed to be, who has received education in French her entire school life, would struggle with an exam that people who went to normal English schools were expected to pass!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 18:44 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

Alison H wrote:
Gay had been teaching in New Zealand, and had then got married and had (of course!) twins.

Does anyone else think this would make a great CS/ Clare Mallory crossover drabble?

Edited: because I can't spell

Last edited by brie on 13 Feb 2017, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 09:57 
Exams...
Exams...

Loryat wrote:
b) the girls' horror on learning in Genius (I think?) that Mademoiselle will be teaching them French using the direct method. :roll:

What is the direct method? All French throughout the entire lesson? No translation at all?

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 10:53 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Joyce wrote:
Loryat wrote:
b) the girls' horror on learning in Genius (I think?) that Mademoiselle will be teaching them French using the direct method. :roll:

What is the direct method? All French throughout the entire lesson? No translation at all?

cheers,
Joyce

Yes! In theory all the explanations (grammar, vocabulary) are also in the target language! I can imagine that Mlle L. would have relented a little with some of the more difficult to explain topics. It was a very fashionable method about the time that EBD was writing the Swiss books.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 29 May 2017, 21:57