Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:15

Post subject: Re: Jack Lambert and trilingualism (sp?)
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 11:44 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

And in Carola we do see an instance of something I've always thought must have happened quite often - a pupil not understanding a lesson because of lack of fluency in the language concerned, in this case Polly Winterton having no real idea of what Biddy has been talking about in her history lesson because it's in German. Perhaps it's another instance of something that's implied rather than said, but I'd have thought that there would have been at least a few technical words and phrases that would need explanation/ translation.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 16:56 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I think the vast majority of girls would have known that three languages were spoken. It was only EBD's way of causing a bit of shock/ horror in new girl books and also as a means of letting the reader know what was happening.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 17:03 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Even Hilary Burn and the other Saints are horrified in New when they join the CS. I don't think the girls always take in what it will actually entail. Also they don't listen properly as Ida Reavely (I think) again in New, even after hearing that there are two days per week for each language, complains that she will be dumb except on Sundays.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 14:33 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Joyce wrote:
Loryat wrote:
b) the girls' horror on learning in Genius (I think?) that Mademoiselle will be teaching them French using the direct method. :roll:

What is the direct method? All French throughout the entire lesson? No translation at all?

cheers,
Joyce

Yes, although presumably if someone was really struggling you would have to translate. But the girls are being given lessons in French in all subjects, so why they'd be so horrified to have French in French is beyond me!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:15