Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:19

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Great Mysteries of Chalet School land
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 23:24 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Alison H wrote:
I still find it ridiculous that Mrs Gay says that the Gays used to be poorer than the Lilleys (who, incidentally, were probably extremely offended at being described as poor), and that, due to this poverty, they could only afford to send Tom to the British branch of a private boarding school, which Ros could never have dreamt of without the scholarship, rather than to the Swiss branch. OK, the Gays were probably not well-off compared to the families of Tom's friends, but Mrs Gay using the expression "very poor people" in the same breath as talking about sending her daughter to a Swiss finishing school, to Rosamund, just really annoys me.

I think the mystery there is how a vicar's wife was so out of touch with the lives of her parishioners! Saying they were poor compared to the families of schoolfriends, fair enough, but not compared to the general public.

Lorna Hill's got various characters who attend schools for reduced fees because their dads are vicars.

And the term "livings" always makes me think of Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Colonel Brandon, Mr Darcy etc, with their "valuable family livings" to dispose of, as well :lol:.

I can understand that to a certain extent. The Gay's may have earned less then the Lilleys, however, the Lilleys do have 6 children to clothe, feed and educate and the Gays only have one. That does make a certain amount of difference, especially if parents are trying to keep it equal between the children.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 07:38 
Buying your school uniform

Thanks all for the explanations re Joey and the illustrations - I'm going to have to try and hunt down that drabble!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 11:17 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

dvsdab wrote:
Thanks all for the explanations re Joey and the illustrations - I'm going to have to try and hunt down that drabble!

It's in the SDL by Chattie - Thursday at the Chalet School. Just been back and re-read it, great fun!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 12:31 
Indulging in a midnight feast

dvsdab wrote:
I've tried to think of any possible good reason for tearing all the illustrations out of somebody else's book and can't think of one!

Well, I have one reason...

I once received a Georgetter Heyer book back from a friend with the cover torn off. To put it mildly, I was not impressed.

Turns out my friend had taken it with her on holiday to Dubai. The customs line was long so she pulled the book out to read. The customs officer saw the cover (Regency lady with a low cut gown that scandalously left her shoulders bare) and said she had to toss the book because the cover was 'obscene'.

She thought he was joking and ignored him. But he was clearly serious and they eventually agreed to a compromise and she thought I would want the book back without the cover than not at all!

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 14:01 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

:shock:

I bought my friend a second hand Georgette Heyer once, entirely because of the horrendous 80s cover - it was like a cross between regency and Dallas.

You might want the illustrations for a personal art project, but that doesn't seem like Jo.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 08:42 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Loryat wrote:
:shock:

I bought my friend a second hand Georgette Heyer once, entirely because of the horrendous 80s cover - it was like a cross between regency and Dallas.

You might want the illustrations for a personal art project, but that doesn't seem like Jo.

When I volunteered in a charity shop, that is exactly what some artists did. Art students too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 09:59 

tartan-belle wrote:
Loryat wrote:

When I volunteered in a charity shop, that is exactly what some artists did. Art students too.

There was a woman on Oprah years ago who suggested using dustcovers and using illustrations from old books for scrapbooks.

And I once read an article about an artist who turns books into art pieces and household items, like lamps. I went to her website and she was getting abused right, left and centre by book lovers who were all screaming "how dare you!"

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 00:58 
Finding out about the Sale

To be fair, you do end up with books that nobody wants - if you can make craft projects with them rather than putting them in recycling, that sounds like a good idea.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 19:31 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Earlier today I was in a tea room which offered, amongst other things, Fentiman's orange and mandarin jigger drink, which reminded me of Jack Maynard's nickname :lol:. I know there are various theories about it, but I think the most likely one is that it refers to drinking (although presumably not of fruit juice :lol: ), but it's never explained.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 20:21 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Jigger is also a nickname for a flea-type parasite. Could Jack have been infected during his medical training? The drinking explanation is more fun though!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 02:49 

lizco wrote:
Jigger is also a nickname for a flea-type parasite. Could Jack have been infected during his medical training? The drinking explanation is more fun though!

Maybe it was because he liked to dance a jig?

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 08:33 

Maybe he liked to dance a jig after he'd had several jiggers of alcohol ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 09:51 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

That's prompted a memory of the relevant item from one of the Limericks topics (hope I've got it right):
Jack Maynard's nickname was Jigger:
Just why, nobody could figure.
Did he like gin?
Or in dancing to spin?
He kept quiet but the rumours grew bigger!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 13:02 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Don't have the book to hand and it's a long time since I read it but wasn't there something about a casket/box in Adrienne which seemed to be significant but was never explained? On the other hand, I might have imagined it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 13:41 
Being rude to your sheepdog

lizco wrote:
Don't have the book to hand and it's a long time since I read it but wasn't there something about a casket/box in Adrienne which seemed to be significant but was never explained? On the other hand, I might have imagined it!

There was a locket with portraits of her parents that Adrienne didn't know how to open.

Or possibly you are thinking of Professor Richardson's metal box From Joey & Co. in Tirol (we didn't find out what was in that either -or at least not in my Armada books)?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 13:46 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Who did Beth Chester marry? We heard all about her engagement, with lots hints that we would be surprised when we realised who her beau was, and then her wedding was mentioned in a later book, but never once was the name of her fiancé mentioned.

Who looked after Biddy during school holidays, and during the year between the school leaving Austria and re-opening in Guernsey? [just realised this mystery has already been mentioned on the thread]
Who was the great substitute mother for Cornelia, spoken of in Exile when Mademoiselle Lachenais died, and never mentioned again?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 22:20 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

Vintagejazz wrote:
Who did Beth Chester marry? We heard all about her engagement, with lots hints that we would be surprised when we realised who her beau was, and then her wedding was mentioned in a later book, but never once was the name of her fiancé mentioned.

Since she then becomes Blossom Willoughby's aunt, we have to assume it's her mother's only brother, Noel Atherton. As far as we know, her father Nigel doesn't have actual siblings, though he has grown up with his brother's family as if they were siblings. If she married Tim or Peter Willoughby they might all consider them as Blossom's uncles, though actually they are second cousins.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 22:24 

I really wish we'd seen Beth's wedding, and got to catch up with the La Rochelle crowd. What happened to Heather Raphael? And no-one ever mentions Pauline Ozanne, Vanna and Nella's auntie and Janie's best mate!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 04:43 

I think Peter Willoughby married out in Canada, so the two potential husbands would be Noel and Tim, but with Noel being the only true uncle. I would also like to have seen followup for Pauline and Heather, particularly Pauline's playwright career.

Oh, and where did Karen come from? We're repeatedly told that she has been a fixture from Tyrol days. But in the Tyrol days, first Marie Pfeiffen was the cook, then her sister Luise, up until at least Exploits. There is a brief mention of Karin the cook in New House and nowhere else.

In the Armiford days, there is reference to "Cook", who is at one point said to be the sister of Megan, the housekeeper. In Carola Storms, Karen is mentioned for the first time. In Oberland and Shocks, Karen is the cook at both St Mildred's and the main school. All references are to Karen after that, except in Bride Leads, where it's "Cook" again.

And at one point in the Swiss books, it's implied that there are two Karens, one at the finishing branch and one at the main school....

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 07:56 

I assumed for drabble purposes that she'd started at the school as a maid and was promoted to cook/housekeeper after Marie and Luise both left ... although Luise just disappears (marriage? another job?) and we're never actually told that she's left. We're told very early on that Marie's sister and cousin also worked at the school, so Karen may have been the cousin, although I think she was probably a friend as there's never any specific mention of her being related to the others.

I would think EBD wanted to introduce some kind of continuity between the pre-war Tyrolean and post-war eras, and that's why she decided after the war that Karen had been there all along. But it is all very confusing :lol:.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:19