Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:33

Post subject: Re: Best friends
PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 06:05 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Loryat wrote:
I don't think EBD was one who particularly liked to write about difficult friendship dynamics, probably because it would have made the CS seem less idyllic.

She really emphasises the fact that the girls know to never leave another girl alone. So you end up with the 'leftover' girls having to tag along with a twosome which can't be very helpful either.

In Barbara, poor Francie has it pointed out in front of the whole group that she doesn't have a friend with her and tells Mary Lou she's being bossy!

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 14:15 
Hot milk and an extra blanket
Hot milk and an extra blanket

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Joyce wrote:

I was always impressed at the way the CS girls manage to keep friendships strong even though they don't see each other for years - Joey and her quartette spring to mind.

But that is very realistic, in many ways. I've seen the girl to whom I was closest at school maybe three times in the last 47 years (and not at all for at least 40 years), yet whenever I do, we take up exactly where we left off, once we have caught up on news of family, grandchildren, etc. I was also amused to notice, at our latest reunion a week ago, how quickly we split up into our former "house" groups....

I didn't have any really close friends at school, though I was allowed to be on the edge of one group of really nice girls, one of whom I'm still in contact with 50 years later, although we did lose touch for a few years at one point quite early on, when she went to live in Germany.

I went to the 25 year reunion of my year and most people were really friendly. One man even apologised to me for the way I'd been treated back then, which was lovely. But I have to say he wasn't one of the worst offenders, who were mainly female. None of the latter group, as far as I can remember, turned up at the reunion, but it wouldn't have bothered me if they had.

In July, it's the 50 year reunion, which I'm hoping to attend. When I went to the 25 year reunion, I was thinking about heading to Spain and told a few people there. Most were encouraging. It would be great to see them again and report back my success! Not to gloat, but to prove, if only to myself, that my life turned out well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 20:46 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

cal562301 wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:
Joyce wrote:

I was always impressed at the way the CS girls manage to keep friendships strong even though they don't see each other for years - Joey and her quartette spring to mind.

But that is very realistic, in many ways. I've seen the girl to whom I was closest at school maybe three times in the last 47 years (and not at all for at least 40 years), yet whenever I do, we take up exactly where we left off, once we have caught up on news of family, grandchildren, etc. I was also amused to notice, at our latest reunion a week ago, how quickly we split up into our former "house" groups....

I didn't have any really close friends at school, though I was allowed to be on the edge of one group of really nice girls, one of whom I'm still in contact with 50 years later, although we did lose touch for a few years at one point quite early on, when she went to live in Germany.

I went to the 25 year reunion of my year and most people were really friendly. One man even apologised to me for the way I'd been treated back then, which was lovely. But I have to say he wasn't one of the worst offenders, who were mainly female. None of the latter group, as far as I can remember, turned up at the reunion, but it wouldn't have bothered me if they had.

In July, it's the 50 year reunion, which I'm hoping to attend. When I went to the 25 year reunion, I was thinking about heading to Spain and told a few people there. Most were encouraging. It would be great to see them again and report back my success! Not to gloat, but to prove, if only to myself, that my life turned out well.

Well done Cal. :) Be proud of yourself.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 13:42 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Joyce wrote:
Loryat wrote:
I don't think EBD was one who particularly liked to write about difficult friendship dynamics, probably because it would have made the CS seem less idyllic.

She really emphasises the fact that the girls know to never leave another girl alone. So you end up with the 'leftover' girls having to tag along with a twosome which can't be very helpful either.

In Barbara, poor Francie has it pointed out in front of the whole group that she doesn't have a friend with her and tells Mary Lou she's being bossy!

Cheers,
Joyce

Yes, although preferable to being left out completely it can't have been fun knowing you were there on sympathy.

One thing I do like about the random friendships we occasionally see in CS land is how much things change - which I think is pretty accurate. It is common for friendship groups to shift in the teen years, although it's also possible these were all just EBDisms. :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 23:46 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

One of the friendships I really liked in the Swiss years was the one between Betty Landon and Alicia Leonard. Betty is described as being one of the naughtiest girls in school, whereas Alicia is always so well behaved. Despite this, the pair are best friends and the difference in behaviour doesn't rub off on the other. Each girl allows the other to be themselves without any undue influence. It's pretty amazing considering it doesn't happen with any other friendship in my recollection.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:33