Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 25 May 2017, 19:11

Post subject: Feigning illness
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 07:47 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Did anyone else see last night's episode of Holby City, in which there was a discussion about boarding school pupils feigning illness in the hope that family members would be summoned so they'd get to see them? The girl in question was the granddaughter of one of the hospital's leading doctors, which seemed quite CS-ish.

I was trying to think if anyone at the CS ever pretends to be ill, not particularly as a way of getting to see their family but just, as most kids do at some time, to try to get out of doing something they don't want to do. Someone must, but I can't think of anyone! I'm assuming EBD thought CS girls wouldn't dream of being so dishonourable :lol:, unlike, say, Gwendoline at Malory Towers. Poor Edna Purdon is scorned for saying that she feels tired and achy, after a day's ski-ing, which she'd never done before, which would surely make anyone feel tired and achy!

Just wondered if anyone could think of any examples :lol:. And I quite like the idea of Sybil or Josette pretending to be ill because Jem was always at work and they never got to see him!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Feigning illness
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 09:14 
Arguing with your guardian

Hmm - it's an interesting point! There's a couple of examples where doctors make out people are ill (or more ill than they really are) - for example, in Reunion, I'm sure one of the doctors (Jack?) says that Grizel's back isn't as bad as they're letting on, but she's worn out and needs rest, so they're keeping her quiet for longer to ensure she gets the rest she needs. Joey, of course, uses rouge in New House to avoid going to the dentist, which surely is as dishonorable as pretending to be ill!

I can't think of any examples of 'real chalet girls' pretending, although I think Win Everett claims to be tired in order to make her escape when she's visiting the Maynards to play with Cecil. I suppose if any chalet girl had succeeded in pretending to be ill it would have destroyed the concept of Matron's all-knowing ability to never be taken in!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:02 
Exams...
Exams...

I think the Chalet girls are probably too honourable to feign illness :D

But they definitely try and get out of telling Matron when they need the dentist.

Daisy gets Gwensi to ask Meg to give her stuff from the kitchen and Margot pulls a similar trick later on.

Is trying to dose themselves when they know they should tell Matron the same as being deceptive?

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:24 

What annoys me is when Matey has a huge go at Matron Besly for not realising that Jo had toothache. She gives her a long lecture about how Jo is a highly-strung, sensitive girl, etc, as if that means that Matron Besly is supposed to be able to realise by some sort of psychic powers that someone's feeling ill when they haven't said anything about it! I note that she doesn't berate herself for not realising that there was something wrong with Julie Lucy - another one who didn't report that she was feeling ill - before she collapsed with appendicitis :roll: :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:39 
Having a say in the Sale theme

Edna Purdon has a real whinge after skiing in Oberbland, but that's about the extent of it (and she believes herself to be truly injured so it's not really the same). I dare say, as Joyce said, most CS girls would feel that faking something would be in the same vein as telling lies about it...

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:54 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Yes, they seem more likely to feign wellness - of which Julie's appendicitis is probably the most extreme example.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 22:02 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I vaguely remember someone - perhaps evvy? faking a nosebleed to get out of class, then feels guilty about it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01 

fibreclaire wrote:
I vaguely remember someone - perhaps evvy? faking a nosebleed to get out of class, then feels guilty about it.

That happens in Visitors, so not an EBD.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 00:43 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Given that admitting you felt poorly meant being dosed with something noxious tasting (often a laxative), sent to lie alone in bed for a couple days, and possibly losing your place in form due to missed work, I can see why the girls would not only not fake illness but also resist admitting they felt bad unless forced.

I can sympathize with Edna - the first time I went skiing I could barely move the next day. It's not only hard work, but it's also using muscles in ways that you normally don't. I'm surprised they don't get more new girls reacting similarly after their first extended mountain ramble.

The Besley scene annoys me too. She's already been lectured about how the prefects are mature and have a great deal of responsibility, and therefore aren't subject to the same level of oversight as other students, so it's reasonable for her to assume that this maturity would also include admitting they had a toothache.

In Camp, the list of things they dose themselves is pretty much all laxatives, so that must have been an interesting evening afterwards. Apparently keeping regular was a Victorian obsession.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 01:28 
Exams...
Exams...

Alison H wrote:
She gives her a long lecture about how Jo is a highly-strung, sensitive girl, etc, as if that means that Matron Besly is supposed to be able to realise by some sort of psychic powers that someone's feeling ill when they haven't said anything about it! I note that she doesn't berate herself for not realising that there was something wrong with Julie Lucy

Oh tell me about it! Joey's HG and 17 years old so one would assume she would have the maturity to admit to a toothache.

Not to mention Matron Besley has dozens of girls to look after and her attention would be more on the younger girls because the older ones should be able to tell her if they are feeling unwell.

And yes, Julie was ill for a while as her appendix flared up again and again. Did Matron suggest that over the holidays her parents take her to a doctor for a checkup? No.

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 21:18 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Joyce wrote:
Alison H wrote:
She gives her a long lecture about how Jo is a highly-strung, sensitive girl, etc, as if that means that Matron Besly is supposed to be able to realise by some sort of psychic powers that someone's feeling ill when they haven't said anything about it! I note that she doesn't berate herself for not realising that there was something wrong with Julie Lucy

Oh tell me about it! Joey's HG and 17 years old so one would assume she would have the maturity to admit to a toothache.

Not to mention Matron Besley has dozens of girls to look after and her attention would be more on the younger girls because the older ones should be able to tell her if they are feeling unwell.

And yes, Julie was ill for a while as her appendix flared up again and again. Did Matron suggest that over the holidays her parents take her to a doctor for a checkup? No.

cheers,
Joyce

Isn't Julie's uncle a doctor? Or am I messing up the La Rochelle families again? In defence of Joey, I'm pretty sure that in my late teens I still wasn't that great at telling people when I felt unwell for various reasons. Wasn't Joey also scared of the dentist? We all have irrational fears...

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 01:01 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Yes, Peter Chester is a doctor.

I think Matron's response to *Joey* was fine - wiping of the rouge, telling her she was being silly, and then sending her to the dentist. It's the blaming Matron Besley for not understanding Joey's sensitive nature, and noticing that a normally pale girl was slightly paler than normal. Particularly when Joey actively disliked Besley, and spent as little time near her as possible. There's also a scene where, I think, Miss Wilson raves about how amazing Joey is to Besley.

In reality, Joey had a lot of good points, but she was also impulsive and emotionally volatile, and even as Head Girl periodically needed to be pulled up for that. It's also at the dentist appointment that she takes off after the Venables without letting anyone know where she's going.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 02:58 
Exams...
Exams...

roversgirl wrote:
Isn't Julie's uncle a doctor? Or am I messing up the La Rochelle families again? In defence of Joey, I'm pretty sure that in my late teens I still wasn't that great at telling people when I felt unwell for various reasons. Wasn't Joey also scared of the dentist? We all have irrational fears...

Yeah, Peter Chester is her uncle. And he does eventually give her an overhaul when she's feeling better. And her dad gives her a massive serve for not telling Matey when she was feeling ill, so EBD does adhere to the concept of personal responsibility as needed.

jennifer wrote:
It's the blaming Matron Besley for not understanding Joey's sensitive nature, and noticing that a normally pale girl was slightly paler than normal. Particularly when Joey actively disliked Besley, and spent as little time near her as possible.

How exactly was Besley supposed to know Joey as well as the people who have known her for years?

And at this stage she's still learning on the job and needs Gould's help not her criticism for something she could not possibly have known.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 13:21 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

fibreclaire wrote:

How do you fake a nosebleed? Sounds gruesome. (Also reminds me of the Noseblood Nougats :lol: )

Joyce wrote:

I think she does doesn't she?

I suppose the main difference with Joey and Julie is that Matron Besly is dealing with a much smaller group of girls. Also I'd actually suspect the older girls of being more likely to feign wellness since they will at that age be more likely to be focused on their studies, trying to avoid being in bed so they don't fall behind on lessons, and probably more self conscious about their bodies as well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 14:51 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

Loryat wrote:
How do you fake a nosebleed? Sounds gruesome. (Also reminds me of the Noseblood Nougats :lol: )

Um... I can recall faking one at school when I was too embarrassed to say that I had stomach cramps. I think I took out a hankie, blew my nose, made an exclamation and continued to hold the hankie firmly to my nose as I sought permission to go to the toilets.

Confession over.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 20:58 
Saying you only know three German words

Loryat wrote:

IIRC, she put red ink or paint onto part of her hanky, and crumpled the hanky so the red part wouldn't show, then moved the hanky about whilst holding it to her nose so that the red part slowly came into view.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 25 May 2017, 19:11