Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 13:20

Post subject: Re: If Jack Had Died
PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 23:33 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

JB wrote:
Alison H wrote:
IMaybe Jack's mother would have got more involved with the children. She's barely mentioned in the books, except as a source of money. She was their only living grandparent, and all her other living grandchildren were in New Zealand. Maybe she would have come to stay, and she and Joey would have bonded. Probably not, but you never know.

She's dead by this time, Alison. This is from Goes to It:

Quote:
‘Oh, quite impossible. If the old folk had been living, it would have been the obvious solution, for you know how they adored her, and she loved them dearly. But now that they are gone, and Mrs Robert and the Major are in possession, it’s out of the question, as you say. None of the Maynards have ever liked poor Lydia, and she is a most uncomfortable person, I admit. She has always resented the fact that, since Rolf’s death. Jack is his brother’s heir; and since the coming of the Triplets, it’s been worse. Bob Maynard wrote a charming letter to Jo, but Lydia has taken no notice whatsoever.’

It's all a bit confusing when Jo talks later of the money that Jack's mother left to the triplets and to Stephen.

Maybe Granny Maynard left money to "Jack's children" but only in trust to Bob (so that the estate had the benefit of the interest but not the capital) until they were 21, which would fit it being just the triplets and Stephen as Bob died not long after Stephen was born and the bequest would have been included in his will. She could have done the same thing for "Mollie's children" .

A bit convoluted, but probably legally possible. This woud be another reason for Lydia not being fond of Jo!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 05:34 
Indulging in a midnight feast

ivohenry wrote:
Maybe Granny Maynard left money to "Jack's children" but only in trust to Bob (so that the estate had the benefit of the interest but not the capital) until they were 21, which would fit it being just the triplets and Stephen as Bob died not long after Stephen was born and the bequest would have been included in his will. She could have done the same thing for "Mollie's children" .

But then wouldn't all the Maynard kids have a share and not just the trips and Steve which is what Jo specifically says the inheritance is for?

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 05:48 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Joyce wrote:
ivohenry wrote:

But then wouldn't all the Maynard kids have a share and not just the trips and Steve which is what Jo specifically says the inheritance is for?

Cheers,
Joyce

I agree, Joyce, I did think it strange that only the Triplets and Steve should inherit.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 09:53 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

Presumably if there were such a trust it would get sorted out by the solicitors after Bob died, his will might actually name the children, and allocated to the children that were already born, not any future children. No idea if this would work legally at all!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 10:39 

ivohenry wrote:
Presumably if there were such a trust it would get sorted out by the solicitors after Bob died, his will might actually name the children, and allocated to the children that were already born, not any future children. No idea if this would work legally at all!

But then would Jack and Joey be allowed to redistribute the funds so all the kids get a share?

Given how many children they have, that could cut the individual shares down to a pound each :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 10:40 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

Maybe it was triplets plus first son (if any)?

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 11:20 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I am inclined to think that years later when EBD brings up the inheritance, she had forgotten exactly when old Mrs Maynard died and thought it was she, and not Bob, who had died in Jo to the Rescue. There were only four Maynard children in Rescue - the triplets and Stephen - who are the four who go on to inherit the money.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 11:27 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

Yes I'm sure you're right! It's actually a pretty minor EBD-ism compared with some others!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 16:09 
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Quote:
From the Highland twins thread - what you you think would have happened if Jack had died during the war, leaving Joey a young widow with four small children (she's pregnant with Stephen at this point)?

I think there would have been prolonged period of collapse, lasting well after Stephen was born. Joey would probably move back in with Madge at this point, and the triplets added to the Russell nursery. I could see Robin wanting to put off Oxford to stay with Joey and help out. But I'm not sure how she'd adapt after that point - would she become more attached to the school, or would she branch out to find new interests?

Going back to the original question about what might have happened if Jack had died during the war, leaving Jo alone with four small children, I think the scenario would have been milked for maximum drama, dragged out for as long as posible, but I also think Jo would have re-married eventually and had more children, because EBD wanted her to have a large family. I suspect the new husband would have also been a widow with children, providing lots of stepfamily material to work with as the newly blended family all learned to get along, Jo & kids having to win over the new siblings, etc, and I could easily see the new husband being a music teacher at the school - maybe falling in love with Jo's beautiful voice in the first instance - which would give an iron-clad reason for Jo to stay involved with the school.

And heck, if the musician husband's first wife was also the artistic type, the stepkids would all have really artsy names of the kind both EBD and Jo loved!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 10:45 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Llywela wrote:
Quote:
From the Highland twins thread - what you you think would have happened if Jack had died during the war, leaving Joey a young widow with four small children (she's pregnant with Stephen at this point)?

I think there would have been prolonged period of collapse, lasting well after Stephen was born. Joey would probably move back in with Madge at this point, and the triplets added to the Russell nursery. I could see Robin wanting to put off Oxford to stay with Joey and help out. But I'm not sure how she'd adapt after that point - would she become more attached to the school, or would she branch out to find new interests?

Going back to the original question about what might have happened if Jack had died during the war, leaving Jo alone with four small children, I think the scenario would have been milked for maximum drama, dragged out for as long as posible, but I also think Jo would have re-married eventually and had more children, because EBD wanted her to have a large family. I suspect the new husband would have also been a widow with children, providing lots of stepfamily material to work with as the newly blended family all learned to get along, Jo & kids having to win over the new siblings, etc, and I could easily see the new husband being a music teacher at the school - maybe falling in love with Jo's beautiful voice in the first instance - which would give an iron-clad reason for Jo to stay involved with the school.

And heck, if the musician husband's first wife was also the artistic type, the stepkids would all have really artsy names of the kind both EBD and Jo loved!

I like this scenario. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 16:44 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

No Jack: No Island: No CS?

Commander Christy is only aware that the CS is looking for somewhere to go because he is a friend of Jack and Jack has mentioned the problem in a letter.
We know that the CS was getting desperate for somewhere to go when the offer of the Big House (sounds like an American prison! is made. Without that offer, the CS may have ended up closing.

Even if that were intended to be for a temporary period, staff and pupils would have had to have gone somewhere. It doesn't seem likely that there's going to be another school willing to take in 200+ pupils at short notice as the CS does for St Hilda's in "Feud" and, in RL, once pupils have moved to another school they are hardly likely return, particularly those in the top forms studying exam syllabuses.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 21:15 

Ah, but what if Commander Christie contacts Jo after he hears of Jack's death and the Commander and Jo then exchange Christmas cards and letters each year.

The Commander mentions to Jo in his last Christmas card before the book "Island" about possibly moving out of the Big House. Jo forgets as she has no reason at that stage to pay particular attention. At the critical stage she remembers and she/Madge/Jem contacts the Commander.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 09:29 

Eh, if EBD really wanted to move the school to an island, in an alternate universe where Jack had died, she'd simply have come up with some other contrivance to make it happen. It didn't have to be Jack's contact, could easily be someone else. Or a different scenario entirely, even.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 19:32 

Llywela wrote:
Eh, if EBD really wanted to move the school to an island, in an alternate universe where Jack had died, she'd simply have come up with some other contrivance to make it happen. It didn't have to be Jack's contact, could easily be someone else. Or a different scenario entirely, even.

Of course you are right. I only wrote an altered version to fit the scenario we had.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 10:27 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Llywela wrote:
Quote:

Have you been watching The Sound of Music? :lol:

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 13:20