Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:17

Post subject: Re: Where did teachers go during the long Summer holidays?
PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 14:11 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Teachers do succumb to illness in the Christmas holidays. They somehow manage to keep bugs at bay during the last frantic weeks of term, then as soon as the holidays begin they relax and develop a debilitating cold or cough. They usually recover in time for the new term of course. It's happened to me several times.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 15:52 
Going for a walk
Going for a walk

I found the same, Mel, especially in my first years of teaching. Every Christmas I ended up with a throat infection. It's as though the body relaxes and lets the villainous bugs in. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 17:35 
Presenting your school report

I think it happens to a lot of people who have jobs that come to a definite stop or pause and then restart. I have lost count of the times that my daughter has come out of a theatre production and collapsed, usually with very swollen glands and some sort of throat infection. Adrenalin is a powerful drug that keeps you going while it's necessary; it then stops pumping through your body and bang! Down you go.

Well, that's my theory anyway and I 'm sticking to it....

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 20:18 
Finding out about the Sale

When I was as student in classes (ie, before grad school), I would often get sick right at the end of the fall semester. I think it was a combination of being stressed and tired, the usual run of fall bugs, and the sudden crash when exams ended.

I can see hanging out at the school in the breaks actually being very relaxing for the right personality. The CS school term is pretty packed, and there are always people around. Being able to relax secure in the knowledge that you won't be interrupted, staying up late to read and then sleeping in, making what you want to eat when you want to eat it, controlling the choice of radio programs or records, wearing comfortable old clothes.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 21:56 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I think it would have been very relaxing for Miss Wilson. She would not have had cooking, cleaning or shopping to do and the domestic staff would still have been around so she was not totally alone.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 22:39 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

The poor domestic staff, though! And they were the ones who had to get up at stupid o'clock during term time to get breakfast ready etc, so they needed a break more than anyone ... and presumably got paid considerably less than the mistresses, so would have struggled to afford to go anywhere unless they had family or friends to stay with.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 00:00 

Why would the domestic staff have been there? They could just as well have had holidays when the school was closed, leaving just a skeleton staff to ensure the safety of the buildings etc. And why would they not have had family and friends to visit?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 01:24 

cestina wrote:
Why would the domestic staff have been there? They could just as well have had holidays when the school was closed, leaving just a skeleton staff to ensure the safety of the buildings etc. And why would they not have had family and friends to visit?

There must have been some domestic staff there as a maid opens the door.

I suppose, too, the set-up would have been different at least to some extent from most schools as Plas Howell had been a private home. There would have been live-in staff used to shorter holidays.

Going back to Alison's post, for all we know some of the domestic staff might have thought they were living in clover, if they had come from poor, overcrowded homes with maybe outside loos, no running water, no electricity, not enough money or food. They maybe dreaded going home for any length of time.

The jobs of a schoolteacher and maid are not comparable but in no way was the maid a lesser person than the schoolteacher.

There could well have been CS maids who were more capable and more clever than any CS pupil or mistress but who had not been given the opportunity for further education. However, the CS might have had its faults but it generally treated its staff well, even although it would have been very different to 2017 standards.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 11:00 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

It wouldn't have needed a full staff to look after Nell. Any of them who wanted to go away probably could. Those who stayed would be cooking for themselves, so it wouldn't be any bother to allow for one extra meal. If it came to it, Nell was quite capable of looking after herself, and probably quite willing to do so.

This is when a small kitchenette in the staff quarters where staff could prepare light meals for themselves would be useful. Handy on your weekend off when you didn't want to get up and dressed for breakfast with the school. You could just make yourself snacks and lounge around in your dressing gown all morning.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 11:04 
Learning all about Matey!

And wouldn't the household staff have taken advantage of the empty house to do a deep clean in the holidays perhaps?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 12:01 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Those of the domestic staff who were in service with the Howells prior to the school moving in, such as Megan and Evan Evans, were presumably living in, and so technically Plas Howell was their home. So even if the school maids went off to do their own thing, it's likely there was always someone around in the holidays, whether the mistresses were there or not. Even if there wasn't, Nell could easily have looked after herself - doesn't Rosalie go to the Dommy Sci kitchen in one of the island books and make cakes for tea as she knows Megan's in a bad mood and won't make any herself?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 13:17 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Aquabird wrote:
Even if there wasn't, Nell could easily have looked after herself - doesn't Rosalie go to the Dommy Sci kitchen in one of the island books and make cakes for tea as she knows Megan's in a bad mood and won't make any herself?

Yes, it's at the start of Shocks (hardback).

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 06:40 
Exams...
Exams...

bythebrook wrote:
cestina wrote:
The Independence of Claire is also on Amazon for nothing....

Off topic, but Amazon (and their affiliates) harvest Project Gutenberg books as they are released. The earlier PG books are free at Amazon, but later PG texts are sold (i.e. not free). I usually look on Amazon a day after loading a text up to PG to see how much it's being sold for. It's always worthwhile checking PG before buying an ebook.

Off topic: but how are they allowed to do that?

If you did the typing or scanning, why should amazon make a profit of it?

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 09:24 

keren wrote:
bythebrook wrote:
cestina wrote:
The Independence of Claire is also on Amazon for nothing....

Off topic, but Amazon (and their affiliates) harvest Project Gutenberg books as they are released. The earlier PG books are free at Amazon, but later PG texts are sold (i.e. not free). I usually look on Amazon a day after loading a text up to PG to see how much it's being sold for. It's always worthwhile checking PG before buying an ebook.

Off topic: but how are they allowed to do that?

If you did the typing or scanning, why should amazon make a profit of it?

Project Gutenberg releases their books with a very broad license for use: you can download, re-distribute, adapt, and even resell. So there's nothing to stop someone from downloading books from Gutenberg, slapping a generic cover on them, and selling them. From what I've seen, though, a lot of them are not packaged and sold by Amazon, but by third party sellers.

Some of the paid editions have some extra work put into them - added a decent cover, extra formatting, proper chapter links, things like that which the Gutenberg editions don't necessarily have. Others really are just skimming off the new releases and dumping them on Amazon.

The other thing I've found on Amazon is that a given eBook often is sold at multiple prices. So the first link you'll see for a book is at $8.99, but you can find another link at $6.99 which has the same text, but is not enabled for Audible reading, and then find the same book packaged as part of a trilogy for $7.99. So it pays to check carefully before buying something.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:17