Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:20

Post subject: Re: Where did teachers go during the long Summer holidays?
PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 17:46 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

The second Christmas in Tyrol, most of the British and American girls go to Kufstein with Miss Maynard and .... forgotten who else! But I don't think anything similar happened over the summer.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 22:07 
Asked to help with the play

I suppose a teacher, or two teachers together, could rent a cottage in the country or at the seaside for the summer holidays. Or take rooms in a cottage, with the landlady cooking for them, which would be nicer and more private than a boarding house. I'm sure there must be fictional examples of people, not necessarily schoolteachers, doing that, but can't think of any at the moment.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 11:00 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

I'd forgotten about teachers taking pupils off on excursions during the holidays. That did happen seem to happen quite a bit in the Tyrol books. I suppose if the holidays weren't very long it wasn't worth while for people like Mollie Maynard to go home to England.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 11:06 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

JayB wrote:
I suppose a teacher, or two teachers together, could rent a cottage in the country or at the seaside for the summer holidays. Or take rooms in a cottage, with the landlady cooking for them, which would be nicer and more private than a boarding house. I'm sure there must be fictional examples of people, not necessarily schoolteachers, doing that, but can't think of any at the moment.

The Independence of Claire (1915) by Mrs George de Horne Vaizey, and available free on Project Gutenberg. Claire Gifford takes a position as a French teacher at a London school and after various vicissitudes plans just such a holiday:
Quote:
Through one of the other mistresses she had heard of an ideal farmhouse near the sea where the kindly housewife “mothered” her guests with affectionate care, where food was abundant, and cream appeared upon the table at every meal—thick, yellow, country cream in which a spoon would stand upright. There was also a hammock swung between two apple-trees in the orchard, a balcony outside the bedroom window, and a shabby pony-cart, with a pony who could really go. What could one wish for more?

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 18:39 

Quote:
What could one wish for more?

What indeed? :D
(Adds book to To Read list.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 20:19 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Hope you enjoy it, JayB - I think it's one of her better ones.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 05:41 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Vintagejazz wrote:
I suppose that's why you often read, in old novels, of teachers going on 'walking holidays' together. It was a cheap holiday that avoided the awkwardness of staying with distant relatives or casual friends, the loneliness of going off somewhere on your own, and the expense of a hotel or guest house.

LM Montgomery mentions a few times in her short stories that the teacher 'boards' for the holidays usually to a farmhouse or by the sea.

Presumably it's like going to a B&B because they are also given their meals and then spend the day walking around the area. Sounds incredibly nice!

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 11:06 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Joyce wrote:
Vintagejazz wrote:
I suppose that's why you often read, in old novels, of teachers going on 'walking holidays' together. It was a cheap holiday that avoided the awkwardness of staying with distant relatives or casual friends, the loneliness of going off somewhere on your own, and the expense of a hotel or guest house.

LM Montgomery mentions a few times in her short stories that the teacher 'boards' for the holidays usually to a farmhouse or by the sea.

Presumably it's like going to a B&B because they are also given their meals and then spend the day walking around the area. Sounds incredibly nice!

Cheers,
Joyce

I think it would be nice for a few days, or even a couple of weeks if you brought loads of books to read and needed to rest after a stressful term. But I think two months of boarding and going for walks on your own could become a bit depressing and lonely.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 12:35 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Vintagejazz wrote:
I think it would be nice for a few days, or even a couple of weeks if you brought loads of books to read and needed to rest after a stressful term. But I think two months of boarding and going for walks on your own could become a bit depressing and lonely.
I think that's when you're supposed to meet The One :roll:. Or The One you've already met seeks you out :roll: :roll:. But then I suspect that most people would try to find a friend to go on holiday with, to share the expenses, if nothing else.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 13:14 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Let us not forget that this is how EBD ended up in the Tyrol in 1922 - on a long summer break with a colleague!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 14:18 

Quote:
I think two months of boarding and going for walks on your own could become a bit depressing and lonely.

You could go somewhere near one of the smaller, quieter, resorts, which would be less expensive, but where there'd still be concerts, fetes, flower shows, boat trips etc. And even if you didn't meet The One, you might meet a Jolly Family who would include you in their picnics and outings.
Quote:
Let us not forget that this is how EBD ended up in the Tyrol in 1922 - on a long summer break with a colleague!

Presumably at least in part because it would have been cheap. Amazing what consequences flowed from such a seemingly unimportant thing as two schoolmistresses deciding where to spend their summer holiday! Would love to know whose idea it was, and how they heard of the Achensee.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 14:37 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

For the LMM case - in those days, for rural schools, if the teacher wasn't local they'd likely board with a local family. So for the summer, if they didn't go home, it would be boarding, either there or somewhere else. Boarding schools aren't all that common in Canada, so most teachers wouldn't live at the school. I have a vague idea that my Mom boarded when she was teaching in a remote rural community in the late 60s, (the kind that doesn't have roads going to it :shock: ), but had her own apartment (shared with a friend) when at a more urban school. She wouldn't have gone to her parents' more than once a year, though, because it was a 5 hour plane ride away, and not cheap.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 11:36 

Noreen wrote:
The Independence of Claire (1915) by Mrs George de Horne Vaizey, and available free on Project Gutenberg...

I enjoyed that. It didn't have the sentimentality that books of that era often have. But again one can see where EBD got her ideas. Chaperonage - although she may have observed that for herself when in Austria. The Great Doctor. And wasn't there a rheumatic gym mistress in Jean of Storms? And reading about Miss Farnborough's remoteness, I wonder if that's partly what inspired the character of Miss Annersley, and her habit of joining the staff for coffee in the evenings.

I suppose it was lack of time, money and energy that contributed to the mistresses' social isolation. I refuse to believe that in the whole of London there were no clubs, societies, classes, church groups etc. they could have joined to meet people. EJO would have said Miss Rhodes should join a country dancing class!

ETA: I meant to say also, that I think if, for example, Madge or Nell Wilson had found themselves in similar circumstances, they would have been much more proactive about getting out there and making friends.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 13:55 
Presenting your school report

The Independence of Claire is also on Amazon for nothing....

(Hah - as I downloaded it I spotted a book by Eric Brett Young so googled to see if he was related to Francis Brett Young. I found to my amazement that Francis was a man (of course). I had never realised that, probably because I first saw "her" books on my mother's bookshelf at a tender age, too young to know that there are two spellings of Francis and that is the male version. We live and learn, even at 75!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 22:18 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

cestina wrote:
(Hah - as I downloaded it I spotted a book by Eric Brett Young so googled to see if he was related to Francis Brett Young. I found to my amazement that Francis was a man (of course). I had never realised that, probably because I first saw "her" books on my mother's bookshelf at a tender age, too young to know that there are two spellings of Francis and that is the male version. We live and learn, even at 75!)

I am female and my middle name is Francis.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 23:05 

Victoria wrote:
cestina wrote:

I am female and my middle name is Francis.

Well it's much the same for me - mine is Vivian...

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 01:19 
Being rude to your sheepdog

cestina wrote:
The Independence of Claire is also on Amazon for nothing....

Off topic, but Amazon (and their affiliates) harvest Project Gutenberg books as they are released. The earlier PG books are free at Amazon, but later PG texts are sold (i.e. not free). I usually look on Amazon a day after loading a text up to PG to see how much it's being sold for. It's always worthwhile checking PG before buying an ebook.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 10:15 

archive.org is also a good source of free ebooks. I've found a lot of obscure non-fiction there, as well as fiction. Just beware of the plain text format; they seem to scan without proofreading.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 10:32 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Aquabird wrote:
It says she had had several invitations and had declined them all as she wanted some peace.

I don't work in a boarding school, but I completely emphasise with that! My weekends and holidays are blissful because of the silence.

My friend who was a Matron in a boarding school remained in the staff accommodation over the holidays, she had to do her own cooking as the catering staff were on holiday (unless the boarding house had been rented out). We used to go round, have a few drinks and then run around the boarding house like lunatics. I think we once had a BBQ in the courtyard as well. She did say we were welcome to stay in the rooms if we brought out own sleeping bags etc.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 May 2017, 11:07 

My late aunt, who was an infant school headmistress and lived alone, also always used to refuse all invitations for Christmas. Before she retired, she spent most Christmas holidays with a heavy cold or bad throat or some other bug. A friend, also a teacher, gave up trying to arrange to meet friends during the Christmas holidays for similar reasons - she so often had to cancel because she wasn't well.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:20