Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:45

Post subject: Re: Sin and punishment in the wartime years
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 03:08 
Indulging in a midnight feast

jennifer wrote:
Interestingly, Grizel's flaws as a teacher are acknowledged as such by her peers - they recognize that she can be unpleasant, and this isn't good, but her history with the school is such that they're willing to keep her on. But with the two men, the staff regards their fits of temper and lack of self control as endearing personal quirks. Even after Naomi's accident, Joey and others blame the 16 year old girl, who has come to the school with known psychological issues, for not having better self control that a 66 year old teacher with more than 20 years of experience at the school.

You also get the sense that they know if Grizel is fired, she will go 'bad'. And they acknowledge she is a 'brilliant' teacher who gets great results from her students but mainly because they are scared of her.

Joey's history with Laubach goes right back his experience in the war and his loyalty to the school in fleeing to them when he escaped from Austria. And he has nowhere else to go.

And why does Laubach have no money when he eventually leaves? He has been working for more than 40 years and lives at the school rent free.

When Joey says he lost everything in the war, while that is true, the war was more than 20 years past at that stage. So why does he have no savings?

But in both cases it appears the school puts the welfare of the teacher before the good of the students.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 06:09 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

At my school, the scary teachers were usually those who taught non-academic subjects and thought that their lessons would be seen as a chance to mess about unless they terrified us. PE and home economics were the worst!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 06:30 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Joyce wrote:
jennifer wrote:
Interestingly, Grizel's flaws as a teacher are acknowledged as such by her peers - they recognize that she can be unpleasant, and this isn't good, but her history with the school is such that they're willing to keep her on. But with the two men, the staff regards their fits of temper and lack of self control as endearing personal quirks. Even after Naomi's accident, Joey and others blame the 16 year old girl, who has come to the school with known psychological issues, for not having better self control that a 66 year old teacher with more than 20 years of experience at the school.

You also get the sense that they know if Grizel is fired, she will go 'bad'. And they acknowledge she is a 'brilliant' teacher who gets great results from her students but mainly because they are scared of her.

Interestingly enough Grizel only seemed to became more like this after the War. During the War, Gay certainly felt comfortable enough to ask her if she could use a music room to teach Jacynth and Grizel accommodated it with praise for Gay. I think Grizel hated music, yet her personality refused to let her do anything in half measures, so she was always said to be technically brilliant (which is impressive given how much she hated the instrument). I can see her being impatient with anyone not showing the same work ethic or dedication she showed despite hating it as much as she did. I could also see her not understanding their love of music, when she hated it so much.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 14:26 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

In the Tyrol, Herr Laubach does not live in school and appears to be a part-time employee.

If he'd been living in school for 20 years, he would not have acquired (or needed to acquire) things like crockery, cutlery and cooking equipment never mind furniture and, if he were only employed part-time, he'd have had very little spare income.
The likelihood is that he had little or no pension (we never hear of the CS paying pensions and, if he were a part-time worker, they were often excluded from company pension schemes). He would have had no entitlement to a pension from the UK NI scheme. He may have had some entitlement under the Swiss scheme, but it was likely to be based only on any contributions made between the time the CS went to Switzerland and the time Herr Laubach retired. It's not likely to be enough to fund furnishing even a small flat.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 17:18 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Doesn't Herr Laubach's wife die in the war? He would presumably have lost furnishings etc then. I don't see him as part-time as surely the whole school would have had Art lessons? The fact that he had no savings ten years after the war, when he had no dependents, suggests that the CS didn't pay him enough! It's rather humiliating for him that everyone has to rally round to help him and everyone (Jo?) knowing and broadcasting his financial status.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 00:24 
Finding out about the Sale

When he retires, Rosalind Yolland is hired as a full time art mistress with no change in the art curriculum, so I think he'd have been full time or close to that for most of the post-Tyrol period. By the time he retires there are about 15 forms above kindergarten, so two art classes a week, plus special tutoring, plus preparation, would easily be full time, although he didn't have any of the supervision duties the mistresses would have had.

I don't think he lived at the school, though (and neither did the Dennys), so he would possibly have rented a room nearby? But then why would he need a new apartment fixed up for him after he retired? Maybe he got paid the same as the mistresses, but that didn't include room and board, so he couldn't save.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 05:44 

jennifer wrote:
When he retires, Rosalind Yolland is hired as a full time art mistress with no change in the art curriculum, so I think he'd have been full time or close to that for most of the post-Tyrol period.

But then why would he need a new apartment fixed up for him after he retired? Maybe he got paid the same as the mistresses, but that didn't include room and board, so he couldn't save.

But why would they treat him differently? And surely they at least fed him?

He may have roomed with the Dennys but surely the rent would have been split between the three of them? And even after he retired, he could have kept rooming with them.

But Joey specifically says he lost everything during the war which makes it sound as if the war just ended and he needs to start from scratch. She says he only owns a 'chair, table and bed', but if you are renting maybe you only need basic furnishing anyway?

He however says he has enough for a quiet retirement, so maybe Joey is just being a drama queen :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 22:41 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Joyce wrote:

But Joey specifically says he lost everything during the war which makes it sound as if the war just ended and he needs to start from scratch. She says he only owns a 'chair, table and bed', but if you are renting maybe you only need basic furnishing anyway?

Totally off topic, but this made me laugh because when I finally bought a house I moved in with the following furnishings:

1. A single mattress
2. A candle in a jar
3. A wine rack (very important!)

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 01:02 

My experience with renting is that places are either completely unfurnished, in which case you need to provide everything, partially furnished, where they tend to provide the bed, table and chairs and leave things like decorations and bedding to you, or fully furnished.

My impression is that they didn't provide in-school housing for male teachers, probably originally for propriety. The Dennys, for example, always live off-site.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 11:49 
Hot milk and an extra blanket
Hot milk and an extra blanket

Elle wrote:
Joyce wrote:

Totally off topic, but this made me laugh because when I finally bought a house I moved in with the following furnishings:

1. A single mattress
2. A candle in a jar
3. A wine rack (very important!)

I just remembered that my cousin and her husband started off married life with a bed, a sofa and a cooker.

That was in the mid 70s and over 40 years later they're still happily together and proud grandparents.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 19:13 
Going for a walk
Going for a walk

cal562301 wrote:
I just remembered that my cousin and her husband started off married life with a bed, a sofa and a cooker.
That was in the mid 70s and over 40 years later they're still happily together and proud grandparents.

That sounds scarily familiar, Cal. We got married in 1973 and had a bed, some garden chairs for the lounge, and a tiny TV and cooker from SLOC's flat. We too are still happily together and proud grandparents. :wink:

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:45