Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 21:33

Post subject: Re: Dosed!
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 09:03 
Presenting your school report

Mrs Redboots wrote:

I must try that one, as long as it doesn't contain camomile (which makes me feel sick).

When I was in Germany in May I developed a fearsome sore throat and cough; I bought some German tisane for it, which tasted absolutely disgusting (mostly licorice, I think), but was extremely efficacious. Mostly I buy tilleul (linden blossom) either in France or, lately, in Turkish supermarkets, which I like to drink before bed. I've gone off peppermint tea - because I drink it when I feel sick, I tend to think I feel sick when I drink it, if that makes sense!

I'm afraid the Spanek (sleep) one does contain both camomile and mint Mrs Redboots. I will keep an eye out for one that doesn't...

Funny, it's lime blossom that makes me feel faintly sick! I grew up on camomile for all sorts of ailments, since I had a mother who came from Eastern Europe and firmly believed in them. Including rinsing my hair with it to keep me blonde as a child!

The throat, cold and chest teas are packed with sage usually...

Many people here in the countryside of course do not use the teabags at all, they make all these remedies from the plants themselves as they always have done in the past.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 21:00 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I have been lucky enough not to require them often but I have been impressed by the medicines available in the German-speaking world. I had athlete's foot when I was 20 and it proved quite difficult to cure until I went to Germany and asked a pharmacist for something to treat it. I was given a little bottle with a brush in the top and told to paint the liquid between my toes. I can still remember the stinging sensation but the complaint disappeared overnight and never returned. I always went to the pharmacy after that and let the pharmacist tell me whether I needed a doctor. A couple of years ago I was in Vienna and had picked up some sort of chest infection on the flight. I went to the local Apotheke and explained the symptoms. The pharmacist recommended some tablets, charged me a reasonable sum and asked me if I would like to take one immediately. I said yes and she motioned me to a side table on which was a crystal decanter of mineral water and several glasses, poured me some water and gave me the tablet, which was most effective.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 21:22 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Yes, when I was in Germany a few months ago and developed the aforementioned sore throat, I sent my husband (who speaks no German!) to the Apotheke and he got a throat spray that was horrible, but effective. I went in there a day or so later for cough sweets, and these were both nicer than Strepsils (not difficult) and more effective.

In France, a few years ago, I got a really nice one that tasted of oranges and honey, rather than medicinal, but sadly I must have knocked it off my dressing-table into the bin, as it vanished. Must get another one next time I'm near a pharmacie!

And I wish one could get thyme tea in this country - it's really good for colds!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 22:44 

Mrs Redboots wrote:
And I wish one could get thyme tea in this country - it's really good for colds!

Try a Polish shop Annabel - most of them have a fair range of the teas.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 15:52 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

.... And while you're in the Polish shop, get a bottle of Zubrowka. It won't cure a cold but you'll feel a whole lot better about it. Half and half with apple juice makes it a 'Szarlotka', one of Poland's many valuable contributions to Western civilisation!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 16:29 

Just googled it Gottfried. I see it has notes of woodruff. Hmm, I remember being overwhelmingly disappointed by my introduction to a Maibowle, drunk traditionally on the first of May in Germany. I had already supped of, and loved, a Pfirsichbowle (peach cup) and an Erdbeerbowle (strawberry cup) so was very excited when everyone said "But just wait till you try the Maibowle..."

I was less than thrilled when presented with a glass of sparkling wine with what appeared to be dried lawn cuttings floating in it. And that's what it tasted like as well - it didn't look much like any of these either!

I think I may stick to the slivovice, the cure for all ills.....

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 21:33