Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:42

Post subject: Koumiss
PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 21:37 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I've come across kumis/koumiss/assorted other spellings numerous times in books about 19th century Russians in Central Asia, but have just noticed that the Maynards and the Richardsons drink it in Joey & Co. I assume they weren't actually drinking fermented horse milk. Or maybe they were :roll: .

Any idea what EBD meant? Maybe fermented cow's milk, but it still doesn't sound very nice. Or was it an obscure term for some sort of yoghurt?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Koumiss
PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 22:47 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

There are versions of Koumiss made with cow's milk but they tend to have things added (like lactose) to improve the likeness to horse milk. Kefir is a fermented version of other milks but equally fairly specific to a geographic area.

Koumiss tended to be drunk as an aperitif or as invalid food. They do resemble drinking yoghurts in constistency so I think yoghurt was more likely to be what the Maynards and Richardsons were drinking and EBD just didn't know the difference.

(Or perhaps EBD was well ahead of the trend for fermented foods. Koumiss has seen a rise in popularity in recent years)

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:42