Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics


Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 08:19



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 19:55 
Offline
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2013, 14:46
Posts: 268
Location: Somewhere
This occurs at the CS, and also in some other Girls' school stories, and IIRC it's not always just from one inter-school match, but sometimes for a spell of ordinary games sessions. It has always struck me as a nasty and also counter-productive punishment. Because games are obviously supposed to be about exercise as much as anything else, which I think in some CS book(s), it more or less explicitly says is important for keeping a lid on bad behaviour.

I hope this wouldn't happen in boarding schools nowadays. Even at my school, if someone got the quite common punishment of being gated (not allowed out of their boarding house in their free time), they would certainly have done games and PE (the latter for us only meant gym in the lower forms, and was dropped later except for those doing it as an exam subject). And if someone was good, I'm not even sure the school would have wanted to lose them from a match, unless perhaps they were in very deep trouble for something.

_________________
My fanfic on AO3


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 20:09 
Offline
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2004, 13:57
Posts: 7299
Location: Manchester
I would have behaved very badly at school if it'd got me out of PE! I was useless at sport, so it would have suited everyone else too. Sadly, it was not a punishment ever used at my school.

_________________
We really must stop eating like this ...

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/




Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 20:10 
Offline
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:41
Posts: 2708
Location: Czech Republic and Herts UK
Ah but there are other ways of banning people from games and still ensuring some horrible exercise.

You stop them playing tennis, cricket, lacrosse, hockey and going swimming and make them run round the enormous field two or three times during the games session. A huge field big enough to house several hockey pitches and many en-tout-cas tennis courts....

I speak from experience!

_________________
Cestina's dolls houses - "I'm a train..."


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 20:48 
Offline
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Joined: 29 Dec 2004, 17:16
Posts: 1046
Location: Ontario, Canada
cestina wrote:
Ah but there are other ways of banning people from games and still ensuring some horrible exercise.

You stop them playing tennis, cricket, lacrosse, hockey and going swimming and make them run round the enormous field two or three times during the games session. A huge field big enough to house several hockey pitches and many en-tout-cas tennis courts....

I speak from experience!



Never mind using such running round the games fields as a punishment, that was our 'prescribed' form of exercise on many Winter days when the pitches were too waterlogged for hockey - three circuits of the area was a mile. Definitely a form of purgatory to someone like me, who was a 'plodder' at best.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 21:43 
Offline
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:41
Posts: 2708
Location: Czech Republic and Herts UK
Elder in Ontario wrote:
cestina wrote:
Ah but there are other ways of banning people from games and still ensuring some horrible exercise.

You stop them playing tennis, cricket, lacrosse, hockey and going swimming and make them run round the enormous field two or three times during the games session. A huge field big enough to house several hockey pitches and many en-tout-cas tennis courts....

I speak from experience!



Never mind using such running round the games fields as a punishment, that was our 'prescribed' form of exercise on many Winter days when the pitches were too waterlogged for hockey - three circuits of the area was a mile. Definitely a form of purgatory to someone like me, who was a 'plodder' at best.

Oh yes that too....if you were clever you could "sit" one circuit out by hiding behind one of the pavilions. Didn't always work though and then you got an extra circuit as punishment.

_________________
Cestina's dolls houses - "I'm a train..."


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 21:47 
Offline
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2004, 21:57
Posts: 578
Location: UP NORTH
In the CS and GO schools generally, games were not regarded as a lesson. The girls in 'Peggy' are astonished when Polly Winterton calls them lessons. Hence docking games as a punishment. I can't really imagine it happening in a modern school where the ethos is as that all subjects are equally important.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 22:14 
Offline
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2008, 15:51
Posts: 154
Location: London
I could never understand why docking games was regarded as a punishment but I did manage seven years at a girls' grammar school without learning the rules of any organized game.

Similarly, I could never understand why extra maths was also regarded as a punishment.

_________________
"Lack of planning on your part does not necessarily mean an emergency on mine"

"Association does not infer causality"


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 22:55 
Offline
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!
User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2006, 13:28
Posts: 900
Location: SE England
Quote:
And if someone was good, I'm not even sure the school would have wanted to lose them from a match

Except at Kingscote, of course. Where useless types get in the team and good players are left out.

There's a (non-Dimsie) DFB book where two girls are behaving badly* but the Games Captain keeps them in the team because they're the best players. Some of the other girls think they should be dropped, because 'win at all costs' isn't the proper spirit, and it would be better to lose than seem to tolerate their behaviour.

*It's not just a schoolgirl prank, but bullying behaviour towards another girl.

In schoolgirl fiction overall, the general ethos was that everyone was keen on games, therefore being banned would be seen as a punishment by the girl in question. I don't think EBD cared all that much about games herself, but put them in because it was expected in the genre.

My school adjoined a large park. Best games lessons were when us skivers could persuade the games teacher to let us go and do 'cross country' (i.e. have a pleasant stroll) in the park while she took the keen hockey types on the school field.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 00:42 
Offline
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

Joined: 30 Jan 2004, 00:07
Posts: 840
Location: Taiwan
A related problem is schools where kids are kept in from recess as punishment. Sometimes, what a disruptive kid desperately needs is to run around outside yelling for 15 minutes, not being forced to sit still for hours at a stretch.

_________________


Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen



Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 05:28 
Offline
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast
User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2007, 15:45
Posts: 538
Location: Australia
Alison H wrote:
I would have behaved very badly at school if it'd got me out of PE!


So would I have!

JayB wrote:
There's a (non-Dimsie) DFB book where two girls are behaving badly* but the Games Captain keeps them in the team because they're the best players. Some of the other girls think they should be dropped, because 'win at all costs' isn't the proper spirit, and it would be better to lose than seem to tolerate their behaviour.


Still happens now in real life. Every now and again there's a scandal because a guy from a sports team has done something and still gets put on the team or is punished very very lightly. And these are not small things - they have been accused of, sometimes even charged, with rape, sexual assault, reckless driving etc and the Oz public is so obsessed with winning, they look the other way.

cestina wrote:
Oh yes that too....if you were clever you could "sit" one circuit out by hiding behind one of the pavilions. Didn't always work though and then you got an extra circuit as punishment.


We did this for a warmup. I used to jog trot the first round, then walk the second one. A few times I was so behind the rest of the class, they had already picked teams and were starting a game by the time I arrived. So I got to sit out.

But for the annual 10km cross country event which wound round the nearby streets, I used to tear off first and then hide behind a large bush close to my house. When everyone else had run past, I calmly walked home. I did this for four years running and because the teachers never did a roll call at the end of the event, I was never caught out.

It was just assumed everyone wanted to get points for their house and wouldn't skive out like I did. Only years later did a school friend tell me she knew I did that and never told :D

Cheers,
Joyce

_________________
It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how - Dr Seuss


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 06:53 
Offline
Discovering you have to be trilingual
User avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2004, 12:14
Posts: 63
Location: Brisbane
Joyce wrote:

We did this for a warmup. I used to jog trot the first round, then walk the second one. A few times I was so behind the rest of the class, they had already picked teams and were starting a game by the time I arrived. So I got to sit out.

But for the annual 10km cross country event which wound round the nearby streets, I used to tear off first and then hide behind a large bush close to my house. When everyone else had run past, I calmly walked home. I did this for four years running and because the teachers never did a roll call at the end of the event, I was never caught out.

It was just assumed everyone wanted to get points for their house and wouldn't skive out like I did. Only years later did a school friend tell me she knew I did that and never told :D

Cheers,
Joyce


Our school was very near to one of the major motorways, and the cross country route took us over the bridge and then across fields on the other side. Or at least I am told that's where it went, as my group of friends used to go as far as the bridge and then sit on the edge, overlooking the M4 and waving to all the truck drivers!
Then when the keener people came running back we would just tag on at the end for the last bit across the playing field.

Looking back, we must have freaked out a fair few drivers, group of schoolgirls sitting on the edge of the bridge - wonder how many expected us to jump! Thank goodness this was before mobile phones or the police would've been down there pretty quick I reckon1

_________________

'Well,call me Aunt Fanny on my tombstone!'

Rosalie in 'Theodora...'


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 09:38 
Offline
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson
User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2015, 20:29
Posts: 312
Location: East Yorkshire, UK
judithR wrote:
I could never understand why docking games was regarded as a punishment but I did manage seven years at a girls' grammar school without learning the rules of any organized game


This puzzled me when I was at school. At a boys' school, the staff seemed to expect that every boy was born with the rules of rugby, football and cricket imprinted on his brain. I had no interest in sport and the teachers were often incredulous that I did not know where the fielders had to stand in cricket, or what they had to do when they got there. Of course, they never did tell me and I made it my business not to know any of these things so that I would never be considered for sports teams. Imagine that - having to get into a smelly minibus with noisy boys and go off after school, or worse, on a Saturday, to roll on some muddy pitch when I could be sitting at home with the latest CS or watching Robinson Crusoe on TV!


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 12:35 
Offline
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2008, 15:51
Posts: 154
Location: London
JayB wrote:
My school adjoined a large park. Best games lessons were when us skivers could persuade the games teacher to let us go and do 'cross country' (i.e. have a pleasant stroll) in the park while she took the keen hockey types on the school field.


Precisely!

_________________
"Lack of planning on your part does not necessarily mean an emergency on mine"

"Association does not infer causality"


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 13:20 
Offline
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:41
Posts: 2708
Location: Czech Republic and Herts UK
I am beginning to wonder whether I am the only person on the Board who actually enjoyed most of the team games we played, plus the tennis. I hated gym and running round Field, and I could live without the swimming, but I thoroughly enjoyed lacrosse, quite liked hockey and loved cricket and tennis.

Anyone else in the same boat? Not that we had any boats, unlike the CS at times.

_________________
Cestina's dolls houses - "I'm a train..."


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 13:44 
Offline
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Joined: 29 May 2009, 18:01
Posts: 239
Location: North west Germany
Mel wrote:
In the CS and GO schools generally, games were not regarded as a lesson. The girls in 'Peggy' are astonished when Polly Winterton calls them lessons. Hence docking games as a punishment.

To bring this back on topic: a very good suggestion, Mel, although I'm not sure that Grace Nalder, Hilary Burn and Peggy Burnett would have liked to think of their "lessons" in that way!

cestina wrote:
I am beginning to wonder whether I am the only person on the Board who actually enjoyed most of the team games we played, plus the tennis. I hated gym and running round Field, and I could live without the swimming, but I thoroughly enjoyed lacrosse, quite liked hockey and loved cricket and tennis.

Anyone else in the same boat? Not that we had any boats, unlike the CS at times.

You did LACROSSE! Perhaps that's why you feel differently from most of us. You may also be one of the few who enjoyed those long descriptions in Ruey that the rest of us would consider to be "padding"!


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 14:29 
Offline
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent
User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:57
Posts: 724
I liked hockey, badminton and indoor hockey. Hated most of the rest of it.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 14:38 
Offline
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!
User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2006, 13:28
Posts: 900
Location: SE England
Evelyn Ross in Challenge didn't like hockey. I don't suppose she'd have minded one bit if her games had been docked. My sympathies have always been with her. And I find it refreshing that she didn't miraculously come to appreciate what a Jolly Good Thing it was to Play Up and Play the Game.

Some of the best school hockey descriptions I've read are in Juliet Overseas by Clare Mallory. While I can appreciate it as fiction, I still don't want to play hockey myself.

We played netball at my primary school, and I quite liked that. But although there were netball courts at my secondary school, we rarely played, if ever - I can't recall ever playing, but might have forgotten.

The teacher just seemed to prefer hockey, and my chief memories of that involve being stuck somewhere out on the edge of the field while the keen types got on with the game on a different part of the field. (Not that I actually wanted anyone to pass the ball to me.)

With netball, having a smaller team and a smaller court, there was a greater chance of actually being involved in the game, and with no running involved, less distinction between those who could and those who couldn't.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 17:24 
Offline
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2004, 22:16
Posts: 4000
Location: Allhallows, Kent
cestina wrote:
I am beginning to wonder whether I am the only person on the Board who actually enjoyed most of the team games we played, plus the tennis. I hated gym and running round Field, and I could live without the swimming, but I thoroughly enjoyed lacrosse, quite liked hockey and loved cricket and tennis.

Anyone else in the same boat? Not that we had any boats, unlike the CS at times.


No, not just you Gil - I was in first eleven for hockey from the Fourth Form onwards and in first eleven for cricket in final year (Upper Sixth). Also enjoyed swimming and tennis and was not bad at 800m in early years though could never time it properly.

_________________
Lime Green Musing http://www.annersley.co.uk
New RCS started on Lime Green Musing


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 20:45 
Offline
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jan 2004, 22:19
Posts: 3596
Location: Melbourne, Australia
cestina wrote:
I am beginning to wonder whether I am the only person on the Board who actually enjoyed most of the team games we played, plus the tennis. I hated gym and running round Field, and I could live without the swimming, but I thoroughly enjoyed lacrosse, quite liked hockey and loved cricket and tennis.

Anyone else in the same boat? Not that we had any boats, unlike the CS at times.


I enjoyed hockey and was goal keeper for the second school team. I don't mind a bit of tennis. Hated netball (I'm not tall enough) and rounders, as well as having an abiding detestation for the field we used to have to run around while the teacher got out the equipment, but I was okay at swimming if we had lane ropes and always loved being in the water anyway. We never played lacrosse, rugby or cricket. When I changed schools, I got out of a lot of games due to a bad back (which still troubles me) but I used to love the occasional archery lesson we had.

_________________
The writer's credo: 'Sometimes you've got to sacrifice the things you like' (Delta Goodrem - Born To Try)


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 20:58 
Offline
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:41
Posts: 2708
Location: Czech Republic and Herts UK
I am relieved that there are others who enjoyed being on a sports pitch....

I did indeed play lacrosse (goalie) but I have never much enjoyed descriptions of matches of any kind in school books. Would much rather be playing myself!

My chief memory of netball, which we played at my primary school, is of having to schlepp the heavy goalposts what seemed like an enormous distance for 8-11 year olds, from the Porter's Lodge of Richmond Park, across to the field we were allowed to use. And then back again at the end. Horrible.

_________________
Cestina's dolls houses - "I'm a train..."


Top | End
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 08:19

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group