Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 08:01

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 00:58 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

It's not so much that I hated all sports on their own. I was just socially awkward and extremely unathletic, and that combination makes PE classes in school a misery. Particularly the part where you didn't just get picked last for teams, you were the one left over.

I did have a great PE class one year which unfortunately was cancelled the following year for budget reasons. They cycled us through a bunch of sports that you might play as an adult, and we learned the rules and practical basics. So we got units on bowling, tennis, golf, skating, swimming, softball, curling (yes, really!) and similar things.

Gymnastics was the only one I outright failed, although I also loathed running. For the former, I refused to do anything that involved my whole body being off the ground, for fully justified safety reasons.

For reference, the standard set of PE sports was volleyball, basketball, softball, track and field and gymnastics, and a smattering of things like dodge ball, soccer and jogging tucked in here and there. Volleyball, basketball and track and field were the main things for school teams. No football, baseball, field hockey, rounders, lacrosse or cricket.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 04:29 
Indulging in a midnight feast

cestina wrote:
I am beginning to wonder whether I am the only person on the Board who actually enjoyed most of the team games we played, plus the tennis.

I loved solitary sports like swimming, diving and cycling and was pretty good at them. Of course they can be teams sports too but not at my school.

Looking back now I wish I had tried harder at the team sports and I could have been more involved.

But often the picking teams at the beginning of the lesson, meant I was picked last or close to. I was very sensitive and shy and that in itself was totally demoralising, so when it was my turn to bat, I fell to pieces.

One of the things I love about the CS is the way the just get on the game and don't make a massive fuss about picking teams. They just do it.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 07:05 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Picking teams is invidious. It was rarely done at my school. The teams were announced at the beginning of the session, either by the member of staff taking it, or, on house games afternoons they went up on the board after lunch, picked by the house games captain. None of this "I'll have you" "Then I'll have you..." Horrible and cruel.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 08:42 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Games were optional at my school as the hockey pitches were some distance from the school and it was too far for those of us who lived on the North side of Dublin. I did play netball for a while as there was a court in the school but none of my friends did and I lost interest.

We did do Gym twice a week. Then in 5th and 6th Year, we had Keep Fit instead and only the really keen ones did Gym. Swimming was an option in the summer term which I did. Swimming in an indoor pool is much nicer than my local open air pool with untreated sea water.

My mother, who went to a different school, loved hockey and continued to play in her twenties.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 09:37 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Joyce wrote:
I loved solitary sports like swimming, diving and cycling and was pretty good at them.

Me too. What I hated, and which seems to have been the same at girls' schools, was the attitude in team sports that you have to win and that any weakness is a personal assault on the other team members. It's nice to be good at something and it's fun to win any sort of sport but I could never get past the idea that it was a game. Team sport might have kept one fit and developed the ability to work effectively with others, but it was just a pastime and got no useful work done. This is why I fail to understand the ridiculous screaming which sports presenters inflict on the public. I'd have them all sent to live somewhere a long way away where nobody can hear them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 11:14 

cestina wrote:
Picking teams is invidious. It was rarely done at my school. None of this "I'll have you" "Then I'll have you..." Horrible and cruel.

My school did it like that. The PE teacher chose two kids (supposed to be at random, but it was always the same two) and they took it in turns to choose. They obviously chose their friends and the best players first. Anyone not chosen within the first five turns were left to feel really embarrassed and upset. And in no condition to play anything.

It was the main reason I lagged behind during the warm up run. Because hopefully by the time I'd caught up the picking up was over and I could either sit out or was told to just join a team.

But when it came to academics like competing in spelling bees, math teams, general knowledge teams etc where I shone, the teachers were the ones who put us in teams. I asked once after being put in a team with 'duds' (yes, I could be a bitch too!) why we couldn't pick our own teams like sports?

She kept me back and explained the kids not chosen for the teams early would be upset because it would mean we thought they were 'stupid.' The obvious question was asked and she said nothing.

I still don't understand her logic - it's OK to make unathletic nonsporty kids feel bad about themselves but not the less intelligent less academic kids?

Cheers,
Joyce

Last edited by Joyce on 17 Jun 2017, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 11:54 
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Joyce wrote:
I still don't understand her logic - it's OK to make unathletic nonsporty kids feel bad about themselves but not the less intelligent less academic kids?

In a word, "Yes". If we ever value intelligence as much as we value prowess at sport...

Had I been as bad at maths as I was at sports (except swimming/athletics where being able to see doesn't matter), someone might have picked up the controlled squint at a time when something could have been done about it. Rant over - it still rankles after many,many years.

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 21:41 
Saying you only know three German words

Some of us were only good at games and not in the classroom :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 22:48 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

..... And some of us were not much use on the games field or in the classroom either! Teachers told me I was a 'daydreamer' throughout my school life. I am sure they meant it as something bad but I knew much better than they did and accepted it as normal. I scraped through O-levels, barely scraped through A-levels and scraped into university because it was what you were supposed to do, and then I scraped out of university with a third and managed, by the skin of my teeth, to stay employed until I was 57 and somebody told me they were keen to reduce staffing levels and would give me some money every month anyway but I didn't need to come to work any more. All this academic versus athletic stuff is nonsense, isn't it? Most people have one or two things they are fairly competent at and that should be enough. Capitalism sucks.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 03:47 

Gottfried wrote:
somebody told me they were keen to reduce staffing levels and would give me some money every month anyway but I didn't need to come to work any more.

OMG!! that sounds like my dream job :D

Quote:
All this academic versus athletic stuff is nonsense, isn't it? Most people have one or two things they are fairly competent at and that should be enough. Capitalism sucks.

Sadly, these days employers want so many different skills it's the equivalent of three jobs. One of my best friends who is in her 50s has just been laid off after she told her employer she doesn't want to retrain for the job she has held for 10 years. They added another page of 'specific skill sets' to her job description.

judithR wrote:
Joyce wrote:

In a word, "Yes". If we ever value intelligence as much as we value prowess at sport...

She told me if the kids were chosen last for the spelling team they would be upset and not want to come to school. I told her I get chosen last for sports teams all the time, but here I am.

According to her, I could try being better at sport. Well, they could try studying the spelling lists. The discussion, as you can see, did not get very far.

But in a bizarre way she was giving me a compliment - my self esteem would not get punctured by being picked last but apparently nonacademic kids would be ground into the dust :D

The CS at least valued sporting and academic accomplishments equally. Isn't there a scene where a new girl is appalled to hear the list of 'passes' and is then relieved when the girls applaud the sporty achievements as well?

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 05:23 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I don't know why, but, not just in books but in real life too, being good at academic work is seen as being uncool. Kids who are top of the class are called swots, geaks, etc. Being good at sport, however, makes you extremely cool.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 06:19 

Alison H wrote:
I don't know why, but, not just in books but in real life too, being good at academic work is seen as being uncool. Kids who are top of the class are called swots, geaks, etc. Being good at sport, however, makes you extremely cool.

Mind you, the tech millionaires are helping even up the score a bit :D

Which is why I love the fact EBD makes an effort in the CS to even things out and she has academic girls who are also sporty and both arenas are seen as equally important and valued.

DFB does that as well. She has her main characters Dimsie and Nancy be good well rounded individuals who devote equal time to being good at sport and schoolwork.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 09:22 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Gottfried wrote:
.....I was 57 and somebody told me they were keen to reduce staffing levels and would give me some money every month anyway but I didn't need to come to work any more.

Sorry if I misled you Joyce, but that just means that I retired early! Mrs Gottfried had the same offer at around the same time. Between us, we have enough to manage on until the state pension kicks in in 2021. We had all sorts of plans to get part time work to bolster the income a bit but, as you say, not having to go to work really is a dream job so we don't want to spoil it. It's been four years now and I'm still waiting to be bored or at a loose end!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 09:38 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Quote:
I'm still waiting to be bored or at a loose end!

If my friends and I are anything to go by, you will NEVER be bored and if you are, there is always this board!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 21:38 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

I'd have loved being banned from sports! They were definitely not optional for us, but at least only the ones seen as good enough for teams ever had extra-curricular sports time. I wasn't!

And they weren't lessons, either. Time was only given to people who were already good at whatever sport we were doing. I gave up both basketball and table-tennis after school quite quickly for that reason. In PE, we once had a cover teacher and I nearly dropped dead of shock when she answered a question that I asked (into the air, not expecting an answer from anyone) and checked that I'd understood it.

I wonder how the others actually became good at these sports? Parents or older siblings, I suppose?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 03:53 
Arguing with your guardian

Gottfried wrote:
Gottfried wrote:
.....I was 57 and somebody told me they were keen to reduce staffing levels and would give me some money every month anyway but I didn't need to come to work any more.

Sorry if I misled you Joyce, but that just means that I retired early! Mrs Gottfried had the same offer at around the same time. Between us, we have enough to manage on until the state pension kicks in in 2021. We had all sorts of plans to get part time work to bolster the income a bit but, as you say, not having to go to work really is a dream job so we don't want to spoil it. It's been four years now and I'm still waiting to be bored or at a loose end!

My parents did a similar thing, though my dad did it particularly stylishly by taking voluntary redundancy at the peak of his career (with final salary pension scheme) then took another job for a couple more years until my mum was old enough to jump ship. They seem to be living very contentedly, learning German and visiting Austria, very CS inspired though they've ended up nearer Salzburg than Innsbruck. They considered Switzerland, especially around the fictional site of the Swiss edition of the school, but for reasons I forget it didn't work out.

Seems like it works whilst both fit, I watched my grandparents do it for a bit then watched her become his carer.

I'm unable to work due to disability and that's hard, I try not to think about living another 50 years.

I didn't grow up disabled (though my condition is congential), I played netball and rowed for my college at uni, I'd really like to get back to participating in some kind of sport.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 12:40 

annekh510 wrote:
I played netball and rowed for my college at uni, I'd really like to get back to participating in some kind of sport.

Don't know your condition so feel free to ignore, but what about swimming? Or sailing if you're OK in a boat with life jacket? If you're not particularly mobile - helm and stay sat in the centre and let the crew do the balancing.

If I've commented out of turn, please forgive me.

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 20:13 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

There was running round the pitches in games sessions at school, it was used as a warm up or (I think) occasionally as punishment for misbehaviour during the session itself. We were not always allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms, and in winter it could be unpleasantly cold.

And like the CS, we did have a few boats. That was related to one of the school's "services" intended to do various useful activities, which I've mentioned on here before. I think the boat-related one (can't remember what it was called) practised aquatic rescue techniques. But don't think I ever went in a boat at school.

I did try canoeing, sailing and windsurfing outside of school through various outlets, many of my mother's family really liked boats and some of them (still) own a watersports centre in Scotland which they founded. I could though never get on with sailing (it didn't help that I got hit on the head by the boom while turning at least once) or windsurfing (too difficult to balance). I did quite like canoeing with the scouts on a lagoon off the Thames near Richmond.

I used to get to do a very wide variety of sports in one way or another and was quite good at some, but I don't do anything like that at all any more and have not done for many years. Do miss it, I keep meaning at least to go swimming or ice skating again somewhere but it never seems to happen.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 12:06 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

I'm another who never really got on with PE at school.

In November, we did Scottish Country dancing for our school Christmas dance - I like the dancing - but loathed the girls asking the boys and vice-versa part. *shudder*

I had a health issue so I only did PE in my first year at secondary the rest was either spent copy various notes from textbooks that were health/PE/etc related or occasionally doing my homework!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 07:44 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I was just bad at it! EBD has her girls who dislike sports, notably Evelyn Ross, but everybody seems to be reasonably capable. I couldn't be more unathletic! I did try, but the only thing I even vaguely succeeded at was judo in the sixth form, and the Scottish dancing we did instead of lacrosse when it rained, and which was also an option in the Sixth Form.

And, of course, ice skating, many years later, but I was never more than mediocre in that. And, incidentally, that started when or daughter was offered it as an option at school one term. She wanted to carry on after the term was over - and the rest, as they say, is history!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 08:01