Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 17:46

Post subject: Re: Banned from games as a punishment
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 21:19 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

We did have the various lacrosse skills broken down into a series of "tests", but somehow, those of us who were incapable (me), remained that way. And I don't remember ever having been taught how to climb a rope or vault a horse - I just couldn't do it! The games mistress once said I wasn't trying and did show me how to do it, but all that happened was that I bashed my chest on the horse and completely winded myself! She piped down after that.... but she did instil in me a lifelong love of Scottish dancing, so....

But again, singing - they just said I was tone-deaf and didn't give me a chance to learn that I wasn't. A couple of years ago I said to a former school friend that I sometimes had trouble staying in tune, and she said, "You always did - what changed?" to which I was able to reply that learning to play the guitar really helped me learn to sing, if not reliably in tune, at least a lot more nearly than in the past.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 22:49 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I want to scream when I hear the phrase "You are tone deaf". It's a very, very rare condition and would involve your not being able to recognise even Happy Birthday or the National Anthem, let alone make an attempt at singing either of them.

I remember telling my primary school teacher friend here in the CR how children who have trouble singing are often treated in the UK. She looked at me in horror and said "But Gil, this is no teacher...."

On a lighter note (sorry for pun) I was enchanted the other day by a family of little girls who, at the end of their visit to Small Worlds, lined up and serenaded me, unprompted by the adults, with quite a complex song.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 19:34 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

On the headline subject...

In other GO of the early and mid-CS periods, there's a distinction between games-as-part-of-the-curriculum and the-games-club so we get things collection of subscription for the Games Club (in at least one of the Malory Towers), people opting out of games to work for exams or for other reasons (quite common) and even people who who have to attend the compulsory games periods but are barred from taking part in the Club sessions (a Talbot that I've read recently).

It should also be noted that there's at least one mention of collecting library subscriptions in the CS, and that banning people from using the library is part of the withdrawal of privileges accompanying a Headmistress's report.

Banning people from games does seem to be seen as a withdrawal of privilege, and it tends to be made clear that the alternative exercise is not enjoyable. it's not just a walk, it's a "Miss Steven's Walk".

Now, although many of us didn't enjoy games (I'm one of the "can't see so was completely unco-ordinated" group) it needs to remembered that EBD was of an age when strenuous physical exercise for girls was frowned-upon. The girls of the earliest "high schools" probably were quite keen on being able to run around outdoors in convenient (or perhaps less inconvenient would be more accurate) clothing. Play itself was unlikely to be of a particularly high standard (especially in smaller schools) for want of numbers and training, which means the less-skilled aren't so obviously different nor are they left out.

There might be other reasons for liking games as opposed to the alternatives. Games (unlike gym) are harder to supervise than other lessons so there are likely to be opportunities for coffee-housing. (we do see this going on when girls are waiting to for their turn at the practice boards). There's also the realistic (if not CS) situation where much of the games practice is supervised by people other than staff - again, that means it's not as likely to be so closely disciplined. It must make a change from the close supervision of other times.

Finally, we don't see the CS girls suffering through playing hockey in freezing temperatures! In both the early and later books, the severe winters mean that games become things like ski-ing, skating and rambles, and people are throughly well wrapped for those.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 22:47 
Learning the difference - can and may

The thing about games etc is if you are shy or nervous you can stiffen up a bit so you move more slowly and awkwardly so that does not help. I was also always on the outside looking in and so frightened of everything. Still a bit like that but what an absolute wimp.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 07:39 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Our teacher was absolutely horrible. She picked on people who were no good at sports. She never gave us enough time to get changed, or to walk back from the hockey pitches (which were about 1/4 hour's walk away) to school, her argument being that PE lessons were supposed to be the same length as all other lessons, so we'd end up being late for our next lessons, or, if PE was the last lesson of the day, struggling to be in time for our buses. I think the problem was that, because it was a very academically-orientated school, she thought people saw PE as a chance to mess about, but it was hardly fair to take it out on us. We'd end up being in such a rush that we wouldn't have time to change and would have to get on the bus home in our short hockey skirts and Aertex shirts, much to our embarrassment and the boys' amusement :evil: . Most people have memories of a nasty teacher, and it does often seem to be the PE teacher. No offence to anyone who is a PE teacher - I'm sure you weren't like that!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 12:46 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

Now that you come to mention it, I do recall a couple of psychopathic PE teachers... mind you, some of their colleagues were lovely.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 12:54 

There was more than one PE teacher at our school, and the others were OK. Unfortunately, my class got the nasty one! My sister's class got her as well. Maybe she was a really lovely person outside school, but not in it :( .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 13:30 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Alison H wrote:
Most people have memories of a nasty teacher, and it does often seem to be the PE teacher.

I think there are reasons for that. It's much harder to control a class which is running around a field or a gym and there are more opportunities for pupils to be injured, so discipline has to be more rigid. Also, the type of person who chooses to be a PE teacher is often different from those who teach classroom-based things like maths or languages.
I have known several exceptions but several of the PE teachers in schools in which I worked in the 80s and early 90s were loud, insensitive and sometimes boorish, and that wasn't just the men. Those who fell into that category were, I think, more interested in power and control than in the welfare of their charges.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 13:47 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Gottfried wrote:
I have known several exceptions but several of the PE teachers in schools in which I worked in the 80s and early 90s were loud, insensitive and sometimes boorish, and that wasn't just the men. Those who fell into that category were, I think, more interested in power and control than in the welfare of their charges

Perhaps also a feeling of inferiority? In a girl's Grammar School in the 1960s only the PE and Dom Sci staff were non-graduates. This was (obviously) even before LA grants and certainly before Sports Science degrees (I think Loughborough was the first when it was still a Technical College but would be pleased to be corrected if I'm wrong). Of course I'm writing about 50+ years ago...

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 06:52 
Dashing off for your part in the play

My father played cricket, his team won the Gillette Cup and was asked by the headmaster to bring the trophy to the school, together with an ex pupil who also played for the county. We had PE the next lesson after the cup had been displayed. The PE teacher threw a netball at me, I dropped it, she said are you really so and so's daughter. I replied that I was and she then said 'Well he must be ashamed of you!'. She was a delightful lady!! :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 23:15 

Jools wrote:
My father played cricket, his team won the Gillette Cup and was asked by the headmaster to bring the trophy to the school, together with an ex pupil who also played for the county. We had PE the next lesson after the cup had been displayed. The PE teacher threw a netball at me, I dropped it, she said are you really so and so's daughter. I replied that I was and she then said 'Well he must be ashamed of you!'. She was a delightful lady!! :lol:

Jealousy.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 18:45 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

Jools wrote:

Which county was that? Only time "my" county won was 1973. I remember watchng on TV, very exciting as the team hadn't won anythng for a long time!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 23:06 

Gloucestershire. I and my younger brothers were banished to my aunt and uncle while my older brother went with Mum to watch it live. My abiding memory was all the other players hugging and Dad standing slightly off centre. He didn't go in for all the 'football emotional' stuff. :lol:

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 17:46