Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:42

Post subject: Re: Worst written scenes in the CS?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 09:58 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

There's a particularly boring drawn out scene in New Mistress where Kathy Ferrars is giving a geography lesson. EBD goes into it in great detail and it is very very boring. A good editor would have put a pen through 80% of it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 11:16 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I'd say the Swiss books were perfect for the young audience for whom they were written, at the time. They give so much detail that you can go for a visit to the school and the other locations in your mind. It may help to remember that we had no computers, mobile phones or DVDs, and limited amounts of television and cinema.

Apart from a selection of the Tyrol books, they were also the ones most easily available to me from the library as a kid. I read them compulsively and repeatedly, and got a lot out of them, even the guide-book bits.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 12:26 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Noreen wrote:
I'd say the Swiss books were perfect for the young audience for whom they were written, at the time. They give so much detail that you can go for a visit to the school and the other locations in your mind. It may help to remember that we had no computers, mobile phones or DVDs, and limited amounts of television.

You're quite right, Noreen, and I loved them all unconditionally as a youngster. I should remember what I've said so many times - there was nothing like these books aimed at boys and for a lad in a northern town, a CS book was like a holiday.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 12:54 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Yes, as a child I really liked the Swiss books. It was only when re-reading them as an adult that I could clearly see the drop in quality and the repetitive nature of some of the books. But of course, adults were not EBD's target market, even if we have become her main readers nowadays.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 14:55 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

Quote:
There's a particularly boring drawn out scene in New Mistress where Kathy Ferrars is giving a geography lesson.

Is that the lesson with the Sixth, which leads up to the (entirely deserved, in my opinion) squashing of Mary Lou? I suppose some build up was necessary, to show how the mood of the lesson changed.

I read most of the Swiss books when I was around the age of, or a bit older than, the intended readership. I did get a bit bored with the dormitory descriptions, but I liked all the business of settling in the form room, getting your timetable and books and so on, at the beginning of each term.

Any of the books might be the first CS book that somebody read, so some introduction and explanation was necessary each time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 16:08 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

JayB wrote:
Quote:
There's a particularly boring drawn out scene in New Mistress where Kathy Ferrars is giving a geography lesson.

Is that the lesson with the Sixth, which leads up to the (entirely deserved, in my opinion) squashing of Mary Lou? I suppose some build up was necessary, to show how the mood of the lesson changed.

I read most of the Swiss books when I was around the age of, or a bit older than, the intended readership. I did get a bit bored with the dormitory descriptions, but I liked all the business of settling in the form room, getting your timetable and books and so on, at the beginning of each term.

Any of the books might be the first CS book that somebody read, so some introduction and explanation was necessary each time.

Yes, that's the one. There was an incredible amount of detail regarding whatever river or mountain they were supposed to be studying and drawing. It was almost like reading a text book and I think she could have built up the tension in a more entertaining or interesting way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 00:17 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Joyce wrote:
Alison H wrote:
They make me cringe. Joey is a "blessing" to the school because she brought in some of Anna's homemade jam. And every single girl and mistress voted for Mary-Lou to win the Josephine Bettany Prize. Seriously?!

I know! she didn't even make the blessed jam. :D EBD had seriously lost the plot by that stage.

And doesn't the vote rigging imply ML voted for herself :shock:

Cheers,
Joyce

I don't think I have ever come across the jam episode. It either went right over my head or more probably it was cut out of the book when the book was reprinted in paperback. Does anyone know if this actually happened and where did it appear?

As for Mary-Lou winning the Josephine Bettany prize, didn't she deserve it? She was a bossy boots but out of all the girls ever in the CS, she was surely the one who most tried to help others.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 03:16 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Audrey25 wrote:
I don't think I have ever come across the jam episode. It either went right over my head or more probably it was cut out of the book when the book was reprinted in paperback. Does anyone know if this actually happened and where did it appear?

As for Mary-Lou winning the Josephine Bettany prize, didn't she deserve it? She was a bossy boots but out of all the girls ever in the CS, she was surely the one who most tried to help others.

The jam thing is in Feud and it helps to bring the two schools together because they all cheer when they hear about it except for Gillie Garstin who is in a bad mood.

Then after tasting the jam, which clearly contained some kind of hallucinogenic, Gillie proposes three cheers for Joey (who didn't even make the damn stuff - it was Anna) and Jack Lambert admires her so much for doing that, it's the first step towards becoming friends.

Then to really rub it in, Wanda says in the entire history of the school ONLY Joey and ML would ever think of doing something like sending them jam. It's a silly episode and one of the few times when the editor was right to cut it out.

I agree ML was bound to win the JB prize eventually but, like the jam episode, it's completely overdone. I just don't think EBD thought it through properly because if everyone voted for her then she must have as well! :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Last edited by Joyce on 29 Jun 2017, 05:43, edited 2 times in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 04:07 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

ML is definitely the obvious choice for the prize, but with an open vote there would definitely be someone who voted for their best friend, or who thought ML was kind of bossy and didn't vote for her as a result.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 07:54 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'm not saying she didn't deserve the prize, but would every single girl in the school vote for the same person? As Jennifer said, someone would've voted for their best friend, or just disliked Mary-Lou. Nobody's that popular!

Joey brings some of Anna's homemade jam into school. Someone - I think Nancy Wilmot - goes on and on about what a blessing Joey is to the school. Then Wanda von Eschenau says that only Joey and Mary-Lou in the entire history of the school would have been kind enough to think of it. Leaving aside the fact that it's only jam :roll:, it's rather insulting to the many other kind girls who've been at the school over the years and done all sorts of very kind deeds. As for renaming the Margot Venables Prize after Joey ...

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 08:24 

Thanks very much everyone for the jam info! I don't like Jack Lambert and that whole lot so hardly ever read Feud. It is quite likely it is in the Feud paperback. I will have to look. The statement does seem ridiculous. I am sure the CS had lots of kind girls but sometimes it takes a certain confidence to do something. Also how many had Annas?

Regarding M-L, I am very biased! It's only in recent years I started to like her. She is anything but perfect but I do like her so much because in a world where so many people are a bit nasty or b--chy, she is not and despite her youth goes out to help people. I agree though it is doubtful if everyone would have voted for her.

The re-naming of the Margot Venables prize was terrible and shows how far EBD's obsession had taken her. I am sure Joey gave other prizes in her own name and Margot Venables was such a lovely name and such a lovely memorial. It was also not up to anyone to change tbe name but Jo.

Thanks all for comnents.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:42