Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 15 Aug 2020, 17:03

Post subject: Re: Worst written scenes in the CS?
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2019, 17:32 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'm wondering if it was some sort of very convoluted way of EBD trying to make it look as if she wasn't obsessed with Joey, by bring Frieda in to teach as well - but then sending Frieda away again because EBD was obsessed by Joey :lol: . I know what I mean ...

Very good point, Mel! Grossmutter had died by then, Gottfried and Bernhilda both had their own homes, and surely Frau Mensch and Gertlieb could have managed to do the housekeeping and keep an eye on Tante Luise between them for a few weeks.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Worst written scenes in the CS?
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2019, 18:55 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

I feel the Frieda incident is quite typical of EBD. These kind of very short vignettes about people are not uncommon and are one of the things that provide layering and complexity. We get a very short "story" inserted. It tells us that Frieda is popular, that the School can call on people other than Joey to help out and they are willing to do so, and why frieda isn't there helping out. There's no need for the story to be there in that it doesn't contribute anything to the progression of the story. (I think the Frau Laubach side story in which people go to visit and she's taught to make pillowlace is another example of something that does not drive the narrative but provides background)

The entire premise for the book is a bit clunky. The in-universe explanation for Joey spending an entire term at school immediately after she's left relies on an awful lot of coincidental illness (and rather skates over that she stays beyond any necessity to do so). It's hard to see being able to justify TWO former pupils doing so. Yes. it would have been nice including Frieda storylines but this would have impacted the length of the book, we don't hear anything of Joey's visit to her for presumably the same reason.

As for why Frieda "had" to go home...we see exactly the same thing when mothers who have been managing perfectly well running their houses and (presumably) having a social life whilst their cildren are away at school, suddenly "need" their daughters at home once said daughter gets to 18. That's what was expected of daughters and whether it would have been better for the daughter concerned to do something more useful isn't relevant. All Frieda is doing is obeying societal norms.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 15 Aug 2020, 17:03