Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 06:38

Post subject: Re: Did EBD intend to write Joey out of the Swiss books
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 09:31 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Alison H wrote:
In Theodora, I think EBD wanted Mary-Lou, who was leaving at the end of that term, to go out with a bang, so she sidelined Joey with a difficult pregnancy. Mary-Lou did her best with a very difficult and complex situation. The one who let Margot down was Jack, whose reaction was to refuse to speak to her for weeks afterwards :roll:.

That always baffles, even when I first read it as a teenager. How do you ignore someone you don't see anyway. Margot was a boarder at boarding school! Nowhere near Jack!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 10:33 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Fiona Mc wrote:
That always baffles, even when I first read it as a teenager. How do you ignore someone you don't see anyway. Margot was a boarder at boarding school! Nowhere near Jack!

I know EBD means it as driving home just how far Margot had fallen from the standards set for her, but it is bizarre.

We are told Joey was never even told what it was the Margot had done - so she has a husband who is ignoring one of her children and Joey does not even ask what was going on.

If that had been my mother she would not have rested until she got the whole story. No way would she have allowed me to be ignored by my dad without knowing exactly why.

And why is ignoring a child considered a suitable punishment?

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 15:27 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Was it actually a punishment or the fact that Jack was unable to deal maturely with his anger?
It says somewhere, I think, that he doesn't have a temper yet there are two very clear examples that show he does indeed have a bad temper.One is this instance, the other of course is over Mike falling down a cliff.Len had to keep the boy away from Jack at that time.Was Jack angry over his naughtiness or the fact Joey went off into a dramatic swoon, leaving the kids to cope.And, of course, poor Mike gets sent away..he is a boy, kids get into mischief , or make mistakes, and I think Jacks anger in both cases is over the top.
I agree with Joyce, I would want to know just why a parent was ignoring a child.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 17:12 
Playing end of term games
Playing end of term games

I think that the storylines involving wrongdoing, consequences and punishment are where EMBD demonstrates very clearly that she was born in the Victorian era.

In the case of Jack not speaking to Margot, it may seem illogical to us, as they would seldom have met in term time, but I think it's the idea that's supposed to be horrific - if her father were to see her, he wouldn't speak to her - and imagining that, and going over and over it in your mind, is probably a worse thing than the reality, when it might even get sorted out and the air cleared, as it were.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 21:19 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

I get the feeling with Jack that it's not the wrong-doing of the children that is the mischief but the fact that Joey is upset is the real crime.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 22:47 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

lizco wrote:
I get the feeling with Jack that it's not the wrong-doing of the children that is the mischief but the fact that Joey is upset is the real crime.

Probably!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 22:50 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Yes, it doesn't really justify it, but both times he was worried about Jo. Firstly because she was having a difficult pregnancy and doesn't handle emotional stress well at the best of times, and then in the next book there was her prolonged swoon, which was probably because she hadn't fully recovered from the pregnancy and childbirth, and was overdoing things.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 06:38