Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:14

Post subject: Alternate Head Girls
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 13:24 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Inspired by comments on various threads.

From Peggy onwards, hardly anyone who wasn't an MBR, or a Lucy, was allowed to be Head Girl. Were all of those necessarily the best candidates? Who might have been the alternatives?

I think Dickie Christie would have been a much better HG than Peggy, although realistically she had been at the school too short a time to be appointed.

I like Bride as HG, but I think Tom Gay would have done just as good a job, maybe better, since she wouldn't have been relying on 'Auntie Jo' to solve her problems for her.

Someone else said they'd have preferred Clem as HG to Julie Lucy.

And Jo Scott has been mentioned often - seemed to have 'future Head Girl' written all over her from the time she joined the school, then missed out.

Any other alternatives in those years, or any other years?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Alternate Head Girls
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 14:46 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

I have a real fondness for Ted Grantley and love the idea of her making good and becoming HG. I think if she had been in the earlier books so much could have been made of her: a real mischievous streak, sad homelife, and interesting CS connection, and a lovely redemption story line where she makes good and proves her mother wrong, culminating of course in becoming HG. If she was still friends with Len, it could have actually provided a natural opportunity for Jo's involvement even- giving her some of the mothering she needs when she stays with the Maynard's in the holiday.

Oh dear... I think I see plot bunnies...

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 17:31 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

I think Jo Scott should have been head girl at some point instead of just disappearing. I like Ted ,she's character I use a lot, but for her to be head Len would not have been and Len is one of my favourites.
I still wonder why Ros left early, I would have liked to see a story with her as head girl and remaining so for the full school year.Although I do like Len I think what EBD did to Ros was very unfair especially since she never gave any reason for it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 20:18 
Learning the difference - can and may

I liked Peggy as HG but Dickie would have been better if she had been at the school longer. Some of the others could also probably have done as well as Peggy.

Instead of Julie I would have had Clem who had more get up and go. Betsy, Elinor Pennell, Josette and Maeve were all much the same but apart from Jo Scott I cannot think of who to put in. How scatterbrained Maeve ever got there beats me.

EBD should definitely have made more of Rosamund as HG. It was a shame she only gave Rosamund one term. If Rosamund had that full year and the triplets left when they should have done after Summer Term, Len would not have been HG.

If EBD had written Len as the character should have been written, she would have been more of a background person. Ted might have had a bit more spunk as HG and Len would have made a better Second Prefect.

Although I really dislike the character, if EBD had carried Margot's redemption all the way through, she is the one who should have been HG and not Len . I wonder how Len would have taken that if the CS had put Margot in as HG?

What I can never get over with the CS head girls is how confident they are. Apart maybe from Peggy, they never seem to have any doubts that they are not the perfect person for the role. We have Josette who is following on from Mary-Lou who everyone thoughr was superlative. It might have been quite true to life to hear Josette express doubts at the beginning if she would be good enough but instead she is SO confident.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 20:47 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I think the Eilunedd storyline's good because, even though it's from personal jealousy, it's the only time that anyone suggests that the staff have made the wrong choice or that favouritism is being shown to the MBR girls. Don't tell me that the girls all thought Maeve was a better choice than Jo Scott :roll: .

I'd also have liked to see Ted as Head Girl. Naughty girls who've reformed can be very good leaders - poachers turned gamekeepers! It worked with Grizel, and Elizabeth Arnett.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 11:39 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Alison H wrote:
Don't tell me that the girls all thought Maeve was a better choice than Jo Scott :roll: .

Maeve is a scaringly bad HG. She doesn't stop Jack's bullying even when it's right in front of her and blames Jane for standing up for herself. She has to look to Len for help with Jack and then finally leaves her to the teachers to deal with.

Jo Scott all the way! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 12:53 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

I would have liked to see quite a few of the eponymous girls be head girl - Carola, for instance, and Clem, and Katt Gordon (OK, she probably was better suited to games prefect, but...) and of course, Jo Scott and Ted - and a full year for Rosamund, please.

Of the younger MBR clan, I'm fine with Bride being HG and Josette to some extent. But definitely not Maeve, and Len seems more suited to being a conscientious second prefect.

Of the Guernsey families, Beth is an obvious HG, and Janice would hopefully have been a great appointment. But Betsy and Julie - not disasters, but not that memorable, either. And Vi didn't stand a chance being in OOAO's year.

I'd be happy to loose Elinor Pennell (another second prefect type), too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 12:58 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

I've always had a soft spot for Primrose Trevaose, another bad girl made good. Especially after her comments in Coming of Age about telling some girls off for bullying a mistress

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 14:52 

Maeve is pretty passive in Feud, too, as I recall; it's not one I re-read very often.

EBD got herself into a muddle by EBDing Maeve's age and pushing the triplets ahead, which meant that Josette had to be pushed ahead too.

If everyone was where they should have been, it would have been:

1. Maeve b. late 1936/early '37 and Mary Lou b. June '37, same school year. Head Girl Mary Lou. Maeve might not even have made a prefectship in that year.

2. Cohort b. Sept '37-Aug '38. Head Girl ??

3. Josette b. autumn 1938 (month varies), Jo b. May (I think) 1939, same school year. Head Girl Jo.

4. Triplets b. November 1939. Head Girl Len.

But that doesn't leave room for Ted or Rosamund, both of whom I think were older than the triplets and would have been in Jo/Josette's year.

I think Ted would have been an interesting HG. Doesn't Miss Carthew say that she used to lead other girls into her Bad Girl escapades? She evidently had leadership abilities.

But Len was destined to be HG from her cradle. The later books weren't written or published when I started reading the CS, but I never doubted that Len was going to be HG.

I don't know that Beth was a better HG than Daisy would have been; Daisy had a great deal more personality. But I agree I would appoint Janice Chester in that year, with Ailie for Games. It's a pity we didn't get to see that crowd as prefects.

Will have to look out for potential HGs as we get to the Swiss books in the discussions!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 19:17 

With both Jo and Grizel, Madge and Mlle took a gamble by choosing someone who wasn't always reliable or responsible, and trusting that they'd rise to the challenge. Once the school was bigger, and the prefects had more and more to do, the staff couldn't really afford to take that sort of risk, especially after they'd dropped a clanger with Marilyn Evans. Ignoring the family connections, if Jo's group had been at school in the Swiss era then they might well have gone for steady, sensible Frieda instead; and, if Len's group had been at school in Tyrol, maybe they'd have taken a chance on Ted, who was more charismatic, as Head Girl, with Len as Second Prefect.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 19:40 

Quote:
Once the school was bigger, and the prefects had more and more to do, the staff couldn't really afford to take that sort of risk.... if Jo's group had been at school in the Swiss era then they might well have gone for steady, sensible Frieda instead

Although if Jo's group had been at school in the Swiss years, or indeed if she'd still been at Taverton High, she wouldn't have been in line for HG at that point anyway. She was only sixteen and a half when she was appointed; she'd have been in the Fifth and preparing to take her School Cert that term. There'd have been girls of 17, turning 18, who'd have been appointed ahead of her.

I think Jo was the last sixteen year old HG until Peggy, wasn't she? And Len was only just seventeen when she became HG; she turned seventeen about two months earlier, in the November when Ros was HG.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 21:02 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

I can't see how they could have avoided appointing Jo as HG in Tyrol. She had been a leader from the start, with even the prefects asking her advice about being a truly English school. She had charisma and personality as well as confidence and was well liked by staff and pupils. She was not of course the paragon she was made out to be later, but she did stand out from the rest. Also Len, for different reasons, she plodded up the school, hard-working, responsible and form prefect, dormitory prefect etc. I wish though that both of them had been HG for one year only. I love the fact that Ros was appointed and disappointed that it was for only one term and that she didn't leave in a blaze of glory to Agricultural College. Did she go?

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 04:22 

I could see Marie as HG instead of Joey. Joey actively didn't want to be Head Girl - I think she would have been quite happy managing the library and editing the magazine. She definitely was a strong personality, but not a leader type, and as HG she was erratic, responding well at some times, but quite immature at others. Whereas Mary-Lou pretty much had to be HG, because she'd likely take over from a weaker personality. And Marie's quieter than Joey, but comes across as a solid, reasonable person, and is much more mature.

For others - Dickie instead of Peggy, Clem instead of Julie, Katharine instead of Betsy and Jo Scott instead of Maeve.

I think Ted would have been a much stronger HG than Len, so I'd have swapped them. Ted comes across as a sensible, likeable girl and she has demonstrated strong leadership skills in the past (even as a bad influence). Len strikes me as an excellent second prefect - organized, helpful, but not a strong personality.

Elinor Pennell is okay but a bit bland. Maybe Sybil Russell for that year? Other candidates would be Lala Winterton, or Katharine Gordon (if she stayed to U6).

The other big change I'd make is to not make Margot Games Prefect. Sure, she's athletic, but she's also well known to have a temper, and to be somewhat moody and impatient. Games Prefect is the job that requires the most patience and interaction with younger students, so it seems pretty unfair to give Margot a job that they should have known she'd struggle with.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 11:51 

I think Ruey should have been Games Prefect that year. She was taking up games as a career, she'd shown with all the lacrosse business back in Ruey that she could get girls interested and was capable of coaching. And she was much more even tempered than Margot.

Margot only got the job because the triplets stayed on for that extra year, so it really should have been Ruey.

I wonder how the staff felt about having the triplets dossing around at school for an extra year, having to have special lessons given and work set and marked in all their subjects.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 17:45 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Why didn't the triplets go to Millies for that year? The expense perhaps, the main school was free but was Millies?
If they had left the year earlier would we have been spared that awful story line of Reg and Len......

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 18:05 

Mainly because EBD couldn't bear to part with them :lol:, but I seem to recall Jack (Maynard, not Lambert) saying that it was because the school "needed" them!

The Reg storyline might have seemed a bit better if Len had been at St Mildred's, rather than actually being at school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 20:08 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

It's a shame, when you think about it, that we only get one book focussing on the Millies.

But I would have thought that, for girls heading to Uni, who were already fluent in European languages and had spent several years in Switzerland, St Mildreds wasn't really the place to go, no matter how much EBD tried to make it seem academic.

Effectively, the triplets did third year sixth - which wasn't uncommon for their time (my father did it in the early 60s), but was unusual for the CS and did make it seem as if EBD couldn't bring herself to part with them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 11:53 

Caroline wrote:
It's a shame, when you think about it, that we only get one book focussing on the Millies.

But I would have thought that, for girls heading to Uni, who were already fluent in European languages and had spent several years in Switzerland, St Mildreds wasn't really the place to go, no matter how much EBD tried to make it seem academic.

Effectively, the triplets did third year sixth - which wasn't uncommon for their time (my father did it in the early 60s), but was unusual for the CS and did make it seem as if EBD couldn't bring herself to part with them.

Even if EBD had lived I wonder if she could have gone on with the books after the triplets left? She had invested so much in them and had also been able to draw Joey into some storylines through the triplets. Who would she even have left for prefects? No-one that took my attention.

In the original CS newsletters she definitely toyed with the idea of another finishing school book with Mary-Lou there. Obviously she decided not to go ahead with it though.

Posters earlier were talking about 16 year old head girls but Josette must have been the only 15 year old head girl.

When Mary-Lou leaves the school proper the triplets are still only 14 - not 15 until the November - so Josette would not have had her 16th birthday until the October which is a month after she became HG.

Just before Josette leaves the school, EBD talks about Josette's age and the age of Maeve. I do not have the book (Trick?) to hand but EBD says there that Josette is not yet 17 and that it is her brains which have taken her up the school so quickly. Going by this she must have been brainier than the triplets. Maeve is already 18 at this point.

Originally in Three Go M-L is just over two years older than the triplets but by the end she is over three years older than them. I seem to remember M-L is 12 in Peggy whereas going by Three she should just have been 11.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 12:22 
First Lesson
First Lesson

Alison H wrote:
Mainly because EBD couldn't bear to part with them :lol:, but I seem to recall Jack (Maynard, not Lambert) saying that it was because the school "needed" them!

The Reg storyline might have seemed a bit better if Len had been at St Mildred's, rather than actually being at school.

And not just couldn't bear to part with them, but imagine the school without them. She'd neglected the year immediately behind so much by pushing the Triplets up the school that she probably had no idea herself who she had left in the Sixth form apart from Ruey. As I recall, in that last year, there seem to be quite a lot of girls left who you would think should have long left the school. And in the end, by the time the Triplets are in the Sixth, they are not that much younger than they should be (in fact, they are older by a few months than I was at that same stage).

And I regret to say that it was Hilda who made that remark about them being needed, which makes it doubly insulting to the girls who were there and could have been perfectly capable of doing the job.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 12:41 

It's odd that Len who slogs to get her removes, while Margot doesn't yet they all are in VIB together then have three years in the sixth form - the last one for no apparent reason. Jo says that they didn't want to go to St Mildred's but I thought that was for financial reasons. They want to save their parents money and Len is going to help out with the younger ones' education when she is earning. I wonder if she ever did? Unlikely as she probably married Reg on graduating.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:14