Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:39

Post subject: Re: Alternate Head Girls
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 13:05 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Surely, St Mildreds would also have been free for the triplets?

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 23:45 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

It might have been better if the triplets had gone to a finishing school in, say, France or spent the year staying with relatives such as Mollie Maynard or friends of Joey's to get to know other countries, cultures etc.

The school had to do without them sometime so why not leave at the time they should have done. On the other hand to go to the finishing school next door to their home was ridiculous. I didn't see the point of the finishing school when the school proper moved to Switzerland and even less point when it moved right next to the school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 00:11 
Asked to help with the play

Quote:
As I recall, in that last year, there seem to be quite a lot of girls left who you would think should have long left the school.

The Dawbarns and Primrose Trevoase are older than the triplets (or were, back in St Briavel's days) and shouldn't still have been at school.

Quote:
And in the end, by the time the Triplets are in the Sixth, they are not that much younger than they should be (in fact, they are older by a few months than I was at that same stage).

They took their A Levels a year early, but in their last year at school, their third year in the Sixth, the triplets are the age they should be and in fact are among the oldest girls in the school. I once worked out that they probably turned eighteen in the week of Hockeygate! In a normal English school year, only girls with September or October birthdays would be older.

Quote:
It might have been better if the triplets had gone to a finishing school in, say, France or spent the year staying with relatives such as Mollie Maynard or friends of Joey's to get to know other countries, cultures etc.

Or even gone off and got jobs for a year!

Like the triplets, I was a year ahead at school and took my A Levels when I was not long past my seventeenth birthday - younger than they were when they took theirs. Unlike them, I left school that summer. I had to wait until I was eighteen to go to college, so I got a job for a year. I enjoyed my schooldays, but no way would I have wanted to go back to school for another year, and wear school uniform, when all my friends had left!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 00:33 
Finding out about the Sale

With Len, in Changes she's ten years old and in U4b when Mary-Lou and her gang are also in U4, and Margot is told it's shameful to be two forms below her sister. (For comparison, when Mary-Lou was ten, she was in Upper II and then promoted mid-year to Lower III). If they had progressed normally in form from there, Len would have been fourteen when she left upper sixth, and Margot sixteen.

But the next term Len is actually demoted to L4a, the only time in the entire series when someone is deliberately dropped in form. Then she progresses normally, but has an added year in Inter V because they are too young to be seniors. If they aged normally in the later books, they should have left upper sixth after Summer Term, at almost eighteen, which would be totally normal by CS standards. But they stay 17 until about 2/3 of the way through prefects, when Len is suddenly almost 19.

There are a bunch of other girls who spends three years in the sixth form too; Jeanne Daudet, Ted Grantley, Eve Hurrell, Carmela Walther. Ruey spends two years in lower sixth, and is leaving school at the same time as the triplets, and the staff are perturbed that Richenda and Sue Mason are leaving after Summer term and two years in the sixth form, because they are still so young.

Then there are a bunch of girls like the Dawbarns, Emerence, Betty and Alicia and Heather Clayton who start out in form with Mary-Lou, but end up with the triplets, three year younger. And a handful of girls who are in Lower Fourth with the triplets, and have to be least 12 when the school moves to Switzerland, but end up lower in form. Connie Winter, for example, is in fifth form at the end of the series, but is two years older than the triplets, and Anneli Bertoni is as well, and is three years older.

I wouldn't be surprised if St Mildred's was not free - it only has about 30 students, and having 10% of the students be non fee paying would be a bit much. The Maynards have to pay for extras, like uniforms and music lessons - attending finishing school was probably classed as an extra. But there's absolutely no reason they needed to be held back from university after finishing upper sixth and when almost eighteen years old.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 02:29 
Indulging in a midnight feast

jennifer wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if St Mildred's was not free - it only has about 30 students, and having 10% of the students be non fee paying would be a bit much.

Joey says at some point that school for the girls was free. Perhaps part of the deal they have by having shares in Chalet School Inc?

Maybe it was only for actual schooling and St Mildred's was regarded as an 'extra'? After all, technically the girls don't need to go there and as we see plenty of girls skip it and go straight to work/uni.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 15:06 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I think Millies would have had to be paid for had the triplets gone there but quite why the Chalet School needed them to stay on is a bit of a puzzle.
Unless of course EBD was getting on and had no desire to create a new set of characters so just kept the triplets and co going.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 16:35 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I don't think they'd have had to pay. It all seems to be very informal: the girls get to go to the school for free because Joey is Madge's sister. I doubt there was an official agreement saying that shareholders' daughters got their education for free up to a certain stage in lieu of dividends or whatever.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 20:07 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Well, you could argue that Madge invested the assests of all three Bettany siblings in the school, and Jo at least had no home or home life apart from the school until Jem built Die Rosen (and that wasn't really her home either) so she and Dick are probably owed something. But possibly not as much as free school fees for multiple years for all of their girl children....

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 20:58 

It probably seemed like a good idea when Peggy reached school age, at which time Madge would have thought they'd be talking three daughters each, max :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 01:53 

Alison H wrote:
It probably seemed like a good idea when Peggy reached school age, at which time Madge would have thought they'd be talking three daughters each, max :lol: .

maybe that's why they kept having children - free education!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 07:22 
Being rude to your sheepdog

There will be someone on here who can calculate how much the Maynards saved with the free places. ( Don't forget the young boys in kinder too. )

What might it have cost?

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 08:03 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

EBD didn't think about the implications of "free" education.

Tuition-free definitely and fair enough, but surely all the MBR clan should have paid what the Armed Forces call "messing"? This is the contribution towards food / drink / heating & lighting etc. After all if they had been living at home, the parents would have had to pay for that.

In her defence EBD was writing school stories for children and would have had no idea of how much we like to analyse them as adults.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 08:46 

The original money for the school came from selling the family home and its contents, which presumably belonged to the three Bettanys equally. In exchange, Dick and Joey get free education for their daughters (tuition, room and board), and kindergarten for their sons.

If you go by modern values, I found some quotes for an average boarding school fees of about GBP 10,000 per term for boarding schools in the UK (from the Independent Schools Council). Three terms, times about 11 years (the kids all go from about age 7), is 330,000 pounds per child educated. Another article quotes a 500,000 pound per child cost for boarding school in the UK.

So with the lower value, the Bettanys get 1.32 million worth of education, and the Maynards get almost 2 million. That's well over 1/3 of the price of a good sized family home, so they got a pretty good deal.

That's by modern school prices, though. But prices in both private schools and houses have increased faster than other income and costs.

In the 1930s, when the school was founded, a typical house price in the UK was on the order of 750 GBP. When Madge starts the school, she plans on charging 120 GBP per year. So the net worth of the educations by those values are 5300 pounds and 7920 pounds respectively for Dick and Joey - an even better deal!

It would be interesting to see intermediate periods for comparison - it seems that boarding school fees have risen faster than house costs over the past 30 years, but I'm not sure of periods before that.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 18:16 

Now up to Mary Lou in the re-read and Betsy Lucy is Head Girl. Betsy had never made much impression on me up to this point; her being HG seems to be solely down to her being a Lucy.

Possible alternatives - Katharine is clearly best suited to Games. From what we see of them in this book, Jean Ackroyd or Hilary Wilson probably would have done just as good a job as HG. They both have authority, and we've 'known' Jean since Carola.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:39