Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:10

Post subject: School photos
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 21:18 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I know they have a group photo taken for the coming of age, but is there any other reference to school photos. I mean the official ones, of the whole form, the whole school or a sports team, which schools try to get everyone to buy at an extortionate price :lol:, not snaps taken by the girls on their Kodak Brownies :D. I can't remember them ever being mentioned.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: School photos
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 22:50 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

No, I can't think of any other instances of official ones. I think that photographers have become much more pro-active with their marketing the last 30-40 years ie after the CS.

I only have one or two individual photos from primary school (early 50s), one of those very long roll-up photos of everyone (inc.teachers) from 1957 and a Sixth Form one (1963/4). That's all but I have lots of my children (born mid-80s).

EBD definitely miss a trick there!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 23:06 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

No professional photographers in the area?
None of the girls have ambitions in that direction either that I remember.

My parents have one or two of me from primary school, and in secondary school we had an awful, female-hating photographer in every year to take pics for the yearbook. If he was around now, he'd probably be arrested for some of the comments he used to make. But anyway, all the parents seem to have bought the yearbook rather than individual photos.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 08:43 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

No, I can't remember any other group photos, either - doesn't mean it couldn't have happened 'off-screen', of course, but I can't help thinking there'd be too much to be gained incident-wise for it not to be mentioned. And if it were at all a usual custom, it wouldn't have been a noteworthy suggestion for someone to have come up with to celebrate the coming-of-age.

In the last couple of years at my primary school, and in the first couple of years at grammar school we had individual photos most years, but the ones I really remember were the two 'whole school' photos when I was 14 and 18, especially the latter - by then there were just over 1200 of us, which is not unusual now, but definitely was then. I think it was something like kids sitting and kneeling, a row of staff, prefects and others sitting on chairs, a row standing, a row standing on chairs, a row sitting on chairs on tables, a row standing behind them on those tables...

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 09:15 

We had a whole school photo (about 700 pupils, plus staff) taken in 1990, to mark the 50th anniversary of the school moving into its current building. Seeing as the whole place was destroyed by the Luftwaffe a few months after the school moved in, and had to be completely rebuilt, I'm not sure why we were celebrating the 50th anniversary, but never mind :lol:. We had form photos every year at primary school, but we didn't at secondary school, and I'm sorry about that now. They did do a photo of the whole VIth form, and I've still got mine, but it meant that you never got a group photo which included the people who didn't stay on to do A-levels.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 12:36 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

We had photos every year at Primary school. This still happened at least when my niece, now 36, was at school, because on comparing an early class photo of her with mine taken at roughly the same age, we look almost identical! My hair is actually darker than hers, but it's not so obvious as my photo was in black and white.

At grammar school, I think they took an annual photo of each year. Last weekend at the reunion, someone took a photo with everyone who was there standing (as far as possible) in the places they had stood in the original. I haven't seen the photos yet, but it must have looked rather odd, as there were far more gaps than people! (They did subsequently take a photo of us in a more compact group,)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 17:01 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

thefrau46 wrote:
I only have one or two individual photos from primary school (early 50s), one of those very long roll-up photos of everyone (inc.teachers) from 1957 and a Sixth Form one (1963/4).

Those are all I have, too, frau46, and about the same time. It's a good job we didn't have annual, individual ones then, as with 3 children my parents could no way have afforded them each year.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 17:09 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

We had a house photo every year and a whole school photo for the centenary in 1953. I still have all those.

If you were in any school teams then there were photos of those as well.

I still have the photo album I made at school, filled with very poor pictures taken with box cameras and later with something slightly more modern. I also have cine films.

I remember nothing at primary school. I find today's habit of taking the children's photos and more or less pressurising the parents into buying them rather unpleasant. There are many parents who simply cannot afford to do so but who do not want their child to feel left out.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 21:01 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Marie gets a school photo as a wedding present?

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 21:06 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Marie Pfeiffen? I seem to remember that that was of a school Christmas play.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 21:10 

How could I have forgotten that :lol: ? Marie is ecstatic because it's a copy of one which Madge has already got ... and which Marie therefore presumably has to dust the frame of. Just what anyone would want as a wedding present, isn't it?!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 09:15 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

I'm pretty sure its not something I would want as a wedding present lol.In reality who would want a picture of a lot of schoolgirls , a nice vase or something would be much better. :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 10:01 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Ah, but these are not just any schoolgirls, these are C(&)S schoolgirls! Surely anyone would be thrilled :lol:

At the primary school where I work, we have photographers every year - individual children, siblings, sports teams, each class and staff. The class photos are very smart - groups, rather wackily posed on a white background , which are "stitched" together to make a long photograph. They are really rather good, and are put up along the corridor each year. However, I think the cost is appalling. Most, but definitely not all, parents order the individual photographs, and at least you are able to buy them singly, not in those assorted packs. Secondary schools don't seem to bother, thank goodness.

My school had a whole school photograph taken every four years; everyone in serried ranks outside the main house, staff all gowned up, and one of those cameras that started at one end and swung around to the other. They were on the wall outside the dining hall, going back to the 1920's . There was one where one of the boys had run round the back and appeared at both ends and another when two of the first formers in the front row were covertly making extremely rude gestures, just visible under folded arms :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2017, 13:32 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

According to elder daughter, the Deputy Head of their primary school supervised the class photos to make sure that no "bunny ears" appeared or any other misbehavior

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 13:13 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Class photos perhaps, team photos perhaps but would any parent really want a full school picture where you would need a magnifying glass to see your own little darling(s).

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 13:32 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I don't see why not - my school did them every four years, and my parents have six, covering the years from 1996 to 2016, all of which are framed in the hall way of my parents' house.

Apart from anything else, it's interesting and frightening to see how some of the teachers have aged over those 20 years!

(I'm 11 years older than the younger of my brothers, and we were all at the school from P1 - by the time my brother leaves in 2018 it will have been 24 years since I started, which is a record that the Maynards would only just beat!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 19:39 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

My mother grew up on a Scottish Island and a book was published a few years ago. There were photos of the school (primary) from various times from 1920 onwards. On closer inspection, the teacher - one and only- is the same until the mid 1960s! Just older and older. My aunt said Miss Tallis had taught three generations of some local families. She had come to teach as a newly graduated teacher aged 21 and stayed there for her whole teaching life. Mademoiselle de Lachennais?

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 18:28 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Alison H wrote:
....the official ones, of the whole form, the whole school or a sports team, which schools try to get everyone to buy at an extortionate price, not snaps taken by the girls on their Kodak Brownies.

I left school in the mid-1970s and probably appeared as a tiny figure on several of those long, traditional school photographs taken by a camera on a tripod, with a moving lens. There wasn't much point to those, was there? 700 people on a picture? The previous ten or fifteen years of those photos were always displayed in the school corridors but the only pictures I liked from school were the informal ones taken on Brownies. The long formal pictures gave you no idea of what people were like and half the time, you only knew which tiny figure was you if you remembered where you were sitting!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 18:44 

Class photos are better. I really wish we'd had those at secondary school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 19:37 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

When I was young, the primary school photos were taken in families (which reduced the cost) but by the time my children were in primary school, it was individual pictures.
That worked quite well for us (due to having a complicated family structure) and I found that the pictures worked very well as presents to grandparents and non-resident parents (certainly saved having to think up gifts for people I didn't know well).

I don't think my parents ever bought any of the "whole school" photos from secondary school and I could never see the point. They seemed to me to be something for the school records rather than for individuals. I could see them being interesting on OG Days when there are a number of you from the same year looking at the pictures together and there being a collective memory to answer the question of "who's that?" and to laugh at how funny you all looked.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:10