Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:05

Post subject: Taverton High
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 10:18 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I've been reading Gillian Avery's history of girls' schools in the UK, recommended by someone on one of the GO Facebook groups, and was interested by what it says about the considerable difference between Miss-Beale-'n'-Miss-Buss type high schools, usually day schools in urban areas, where the emphasis was on academic education, and schools like the Chalet School (well, it didn't actually name the Chalet School, but that sort of idea!), usually boarding schools, where the emphasis was much more on developing personal traits such as teamwork and leadership skills, and few girls took advanced public exams until well into the 1950s. That fits in well with what Charmian Lilley says about Meadowfield High providing a better academic education than the Chalet School, and Miss Bubb presumably went to, and had previously taught at, a high school.

What I got thinking about, as you do, was that Taverton High, where Joey had gone previously and where Madge had presumably gone as well (as Helen Barber says, the wartime comment about Madge going to school in London doesn't fit with anything else), sounds much more like a Miss-Beale-'n'-Miss-Buss type of school. It's described as a "big high school", and Grizel mentions that the Head Girl was going on to Oxford. Obviously Madge couldn't have set up that sort of school, which required considerable resources, but moving from one to the other must have been a big culture shock. I'm probably overthinking this, but I wonder why EBD chose to have Joey at that sort of school, rather than the sort of small school that features in books like Monica Turns Up Trumps.

Mary Burnett probably preferred Taverton High, although I don't suppose Joey and Grizel did.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Taverton High
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 14:45 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Quote:
I wonder why EBD chose to have Joey at that sort of school, rather than the sort of small school that features in books like Monica Turns Up Trumps.

I wonder if, before their Guardian made a mess of their financial affairs, it was expected that Jo would be earning her own living? And who made the decisions about Jo's education? Madge or the Guardian? If Jo was always going to have to earn her living, a high school education makes more sense, or would have, if not for her health problems.

We're given the impression that Jo had missed quite a lot of school due to her health, and she would only have been in the first year of senior school - Year Seven, in modern terms - so it wouldn't have been such a big change for her as it would for Grizel, Mary and Rosalie, who had been there for two or three years.

And maybe it would have looked bad if Madge had set about poaching pupils from another private school. Jo, Grizel, three Burnetts and Rosalie wouldn't have been missed from the high school, but they could have been quite a big loss to a small private school.

Angela Brazil has a lot of those small private schools with unqualified teachers. In one of them, the head realises that she's out of date and parents want something more for their daughters, and she brings in a new, young, university educated mistress to shake things up.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 15:11 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

If Madge had studied at a 1920's CS style school, she likely wouldn't have been able to found the CS, as her academic training wouldn't have been up to teaching teenagers. For Joey, I imagine part of it would be her health - she not only misses a lot of school, but she also needs careful personal attention to keep her from doing daft things that make her health worse. And I can see keeping Madge at a day school so she could be near her little sister, as Joey would have been just 6 at the time Madge finished school.

I don't get the impression that either Joey or Madge would have been expected to earn a living, though.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 12:53 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I love the book Alison is referring to and regularly re-read it.

One interesting reverse question : why was there no High School in Medbury that Monica could have gone to? From what else you read about it, it seems to have been big enough.

EBD wrote a lot about good, academic high schools. There's St Peter's High in Gerry etc, and the school in Feud, the one in Carnation and Lorna's school in Wynyards are all of that type.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 18:56 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

If Medbury is Ledbury, here are some schools -

http://www.old-ledbury.co.uk/schools.htm

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 00:41 
Arguing with your guardian

Which book is the comment about Madge going to school in London made in?

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 07:45 

I think it's during the air raid in Goes To It. It's a one-line comment about Madge having been at school in London whilst it was being bombed during the Great War.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 15:12 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Perhaps they had to stay with one of the Aunts for a while. Doesn't one at least live in/near London?

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:05