Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:43

Post subject: Re: Changing perceptions after reading hardbacks
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 10:06 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Miriam wrote:
To us that is a huge loss. But I think one of the aims of the Armada reprints was to make each book more 'stand alone'.

That's a very good point, especially with characters like Miss Bubb and Elisaveta who pretty much disappear from the series and then reappear years later. There are lots of brief updates about old friends missing, as well, like in Oberland when we're told that Jem, during a business trip to New York, stayed with Bernhilda and Kurt ... someone who hadn't read any of the Tyrol books wouldn't have a clue who Bernhilda and Kurt were.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 11:20 
Presenting your school report

I come at the perception change from the other way on. I had only hardbacks, more or less till I was an adult.

I had no idea that the paperbacks that I bought then (I remember falling on some in W.H.Smith's in Harlow!) had been abridged and I put the reduction in detail and interesting sidesteps into culture and history, down to EBD's declining skills as a writer.

I barely reread any of the later books which were all Armadas, whereas I regularly reread all the hardbacks.

It wasn't really until I joined the CBB that I discovered the full extent of the losses in some books. I have never read the abridged Highland Twins nor Exile and I shall not seek them out!

I do realise how lucky I have been from the start.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 04:47 
Being rude to your sheepdog

miss_maeve wrote:
I was out of work some years ago, and when I saw somebody selling paperback Chalet books for 20p each (!) at a car boot sale, I snagged the lot and then sold them on ebay.

I knew some of them would go for a fair amount, but was amazed at how much the listing for Highland Twins just went up and up. It was a standard Armada copy, in good enough condition, and it went for almost fifty pounds.

:shock: Fifty pounds for an Armada! Unfortunately I don't live in a place where second-hand books are readily available, and I only recently started using ebay. ATM I would be happy to read an uncut version of Highland Twins in any format! Of course, as a war book the first print run of the hardback would have been small, but it was reprinted later?

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 08:15 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

bythebrook wrote:
Of course, as a war book the first print run of the hardback would have been small, but it was reprinted later?
Yes: my copy is a "Latest Reprint 1952", and to me that implies that it's at least the second reprint, if not more. Has anyone got a hardback that's later than 1952, or any format that indicates how many reprints?

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 18:35 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I have got a hardback Highland Twins - bought by me new in the sixties - with "latest reprint 1962".

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 19:14 

Noreen wrote:
bythebrook wrote:
Of course, as a war book the first print run of the hardback would have been small, but it was reprinted later?
Yes: my copy is a "Latest Reprint 1952", and to me that implies that it's at least the second reprint, if not more. Has anyone got a hardback that's later than 1952, or any format that indicates how many reprints?

Mine is earlier. I sent my daughter upstairs in the UK to check, telling her the book was "halfway along the shelf, thick, green". The reply has just come back "It says Reprinted 1950. Front and back are a little green, spine isn't any longer!".... :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 01:30 
Being rude to your sheepdog

cestina wrote:
... telling her the book was "halfway along the shelf, thick, green".

I expect you have an excellent visual memory? Because that's exactly how I remember - where an object is relative to others, colour, shape etc. I have a poor memory for things I hear unless I visualise them in my mind (i.e. 'converting' them into visual memories).

My memory used to be almost photographic, I could describe a quotation by its position on the page, what font it was in etc.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 08:54 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Mines 1950 as well, I do seem to remember reading somewhere once about all the reprints - maybe a FOCS article?

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 10:38 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

If you have a GGBP copy, they have detials about all the reprints of that book - normally with pictures of the covers as well. It might have been there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 13:53 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

possibly - i have both

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:43