Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:37

Post subject: Freudesheim
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 18:03 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

I am following the re-read (great fun) although I don't often read most of the Swiss books. My German is almost nil, but would you really call your house 'Happy Home'? It would seem very odd to me, if I heard a British house called that. Does it work differently in other languages? Most of the named houses I know refer to their situation, ie, Station House, or a nearby feature - Cherry Tree Cottage, for example. Of course, nowadays there seems to be a fancy for making up a house name based on the names of the people who live there. My neighbours have called their house Brentim
(named Brenda and Tim).

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Freudesheim
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 18:15 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

It's somewhat tempting fate!

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 18:35 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Know what you mean, but I think it does work differently in other languages. Apart from the owner-name-mixing, which is quite an English-language favourite, house names in English do tend to be factual, even prosaically so - though I remember one in childhood called 'Tall Trees' that had a couple of scrubby bushes by the gate. To this day I don't know why there was a house down the road from here called 'Corbiere' unless the people who lived there came from Jersey or liked light-houses [I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it means 'place where crows gather' which is true here, but only recently].

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 21:17 
Going for a walk
Going for a walk

I think the name works perfectly well in German. It's not Happy Home, it's Freudesheim, which means Happy Home - but you wouldn't say the latter when talking about it there. I've known a few 'weird' house names in my time in France, but only weird when translated into English.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 21:40 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Supersal wrote:
My neighbours have called their house Brentim
(named Brenda and Tim).

My grandparents called theirs Maesyde - Mabel and Sydney :lol:. It was a small three bedroomed semi in a North Manchester surburb, and I have no idea why they wanted to give it a name when it had a number like every other house in the street, but maybe they thought it sounded good :lol:. And that was in 1939, so the idea's been going a long time!

Some people go for things like Dunroamin', but things like The Oaks, The Beeches, The Old Rectory etc are more common. However, Madge's house in Guernsey was called Bonne Maison, which is pretty similar to Freudesheim.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 22:46 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

The German word Freudenhaus means brothel. I can't imagine that EBD knew that! :lol:
The difference between: Haus/heim = house/home.

Grammatically, I think, it should have been Freudenheim not Freudesheim

Sorry to be so pedantic - perhaps I should have posted this on that thread?

Bonne Maison? Possibly. Die Rosen? Not sure. Das Pferd (The Horse - Gisela and Gottried's house) Really?

Probably the most acceptable CS house name is Cartref as there are lots of Welsh homes called that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 22:48 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

Noreen wrote:
Know what you mean, but I think it does work differently in other languages. Apart from the owner-name-mixing, which is quite an English-language favourite, house names in English do tend to be factual, even prosaically so - though I remember one in childhood called 'Tall Trees' that had a couple of scrubby bushes by the gate. To this day I don't know why there was a house down the road from here called 'Corbiere' unless the people who lived there came from Jersey or liked light-houses [I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it means 'place where crows gather' which is true here, but only recently].

Maybe they backed Corbiere when it won the Grand National and that's what paid for the house?

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 23:17 

Yes, I saw "Corbiere" and thought of the Grand National!

Die Rosen and Les Rosiers are fairly similar names, as well as Freudesheim and Bonne Maison.

:lol: :lol: at Freudenhaus.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 00:15 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

My favourite of all EMBD's house names is 'Many Bushes', which would be very accurate for the house I live in - and EMBD seems to have liked it too, as she used it twice (Dr Marilliar's house and Phoebe Wychcote's house if I remember correctly).

exile wrote:
Maybe they backed Corbiere when it won the Grand National and that's what paid for the house?
That would be brilliant - sadly the people are long gone and I think the house no longer has a name. There is a family legend that my great-grandmother gave my grandfather (her second son) two middle names that were from racehorses (Penfold, Canon)...

Getting back on topic, whatever else she decided on, I can't see Jo the Napoleon admirer sticking with the original inspiration for the house's name - (Pension) Wellington.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 02:17 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

I miss the days when houses were given names, it just seems like a lovely thing to do.

There are a few houses in older suburbs in Sydney which still have names but that is getting rarer. The names are usually after an ancestor, family name or even an English cricket ground (!) rather than an attribute of the property.

Enid Blyton also has a house called Happy Home, which does seem to be tempting fate.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 09:49 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Has anyone ever compliled a list of CS house names? That would be interesting.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 11:04 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

I understood that having a house with a name was posher than just a number.

There is a road near me where the houses all have names but no number.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 11:42 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Many villages - especially in the Cotswolds, seem to have practically every house named "The Old ...... School, Rectory, Vicarage, Forge, Post Office, etc" - signs of changing times. One that amuses me is a house situated in the middle of a large housing estate on the edge of Bristol a long way from the sea named "The Old Light House". Someone with a sense of humour lives there!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 12:12 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Joyce wrote:
I miss the days when houses were given names, it just seems like a lovely thing to do.

There are a few houses in older suburbs in Sydney which still have names but that is getting rarer. The names are usually after an ancestor, family name or even an English cricket ground (!) rather than an attribute of the property.

Enid Blyton also has a house called Happy Home, which does seem to be tempting fate.

Yes, I agree that house names sound much nicer than numbers. Although I find it a bit pretentious when someone moves into, say, 25 Southhill Crescent and immediately renames their house Southhill House.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 16:56 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

As a community midwife I HATE house names with a vengence - trying to find the correct house is hard enough with numbers

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 21:17 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Be happy you don't work in a small Czech town or village then Claire - houses are numbered according to when they were built. So you can have number 1 right next door to number 435 in the same street.

In the larger towns all residences have two numbers, a logical one and the one when the place was built and both are supposed to appear on addresses, but don't always.

In the smaller towns and villages the post people just have to learn the map of house numbers off by heart!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 23:05 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

cestina wrote:
Be happy you don't work in a small Czech town or village then Claire - houses are numbered according to when they were built. So you can have number 1 right next door to number 435 in the same street.

In the larger towns all residences have two numbers, a logical one and the one when the place was built and both are supposed to appear on addresses, but don't always.

In the smaller towns and villages the post people just have to learn the map of house numbers off by heart!

House numbers in Venice seem to be totally unfindable - street name, department no, then district no, with a house number high up on the building and not much used!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 07:49 
Arguing with your guardian

Vintagejazz wrote:
Yes, I agree that house names sound much nicer than numbers. Although I find it a bit pretentious when someone moves into, say, 25 Southhill Crescent and immediately renames their house Southhill House.

And if you are going to do that and call your house 'Blue Gates' then for heaven's sake paint the gates blue not red!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 09:28 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

And if you move into a house called "The Chimes" - don't complain about the church clock!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 11:38 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

thefrau46 wrote:
Has anyone ever compliled a list of CS house names? That would be interesting.
I started one, but I'm sure it's not complete - and you quoted a good few of them yourself. :D

Adlersnest: home to the Graves and Courvoisier families
Carn Beg: the Trelawney home in Armishire
Cartref: a house owned by Cdr Christy
Das Pferd: Gottfried and Gisela’s house
Freudesheim: Jo & Jack’s home in Switzerland
Les Arbres: the Lucys’ home in Guernsey
Les Rosiers: Jo & Jack’s home in Guernsey, where the triplets are born
Many Bushes: Dr Marilliar’s house and also (elsewhere) Phoebe Wychcote’s house
Pension Wellington: former name of Freudesheim
Plas Howell: the Howell family’s mansion in Armishire, which is lent to the CS
Plas Gwyn: Jo & Jack’s home in Armifordshire
The Quadrant: Dick & Mollie Bettany’s House in Devon
The Round House: Jem & Madge’s home in Armiford
The Witchens: house Joey and Co stay in during Rescue
Madge & Jem’s un-named house at Llan-y-Penllan in the Black Mountains of Wales

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:37