Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 04:40

Post subject: Synthetic Maps
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 20:52 
Arguing with your guardian

Hi folks!
I'm a bit nervous posting for the first time as to whether this is the right place. I'm reading Mary Lou at.. and new girl Jessica is staring at her synthetic maps not knowing what to do. Of course ML helps out and all is OK. I hated Geography at school, and was hopeless at it, (I'm afraid I'm good at maths but not much else and would have been Miss Slater's pet), and have long envied the synthetic maps of the Chalet girls. Does anyone have any idea what they actually were?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Synthetic Maps
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 21:28 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Synthetic maps are background maps with plastic overlays. The "synthetic" does not relate to the plastic (which is what I thought at first) but to the combination of more than one element to make a whole.

I came across these at school although they were not in use and they came in two forms.

One was boxed, with a set of loose background maps with the overlays loose. The other was a book with the background maps attached on one side and the overlays on the other. This seems to be what the CS used

The idea is that you use a background map of, say, physical features, and then superimpose the overlay of, say, crops, to see how they are related. You can use more than one overlay.

They were rather fun to play with!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Synthetic Maps
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2017, 12:43 
Arguing with your guardian

OK, thanks, that makes sense and they sound quite fun.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 04:40