Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 May 2018, 18:01

Post subject: Re: Christmas at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2017, 16:20 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Agree with you Gottfried especially about the new carpet, curtains etc. Always thought it was absolutely the last time of the year to be re-decorating - let the family and friends come and if things are spilt so be it! When I was working, I didn't like when the shut-down between Christmas and New Year became compulsory - one celebration just merged into the other. Loving Christmas in France - everyone is back to work today and no-one seems to have been stressed out about the "Big Day" - just enjoyed good food, drink and fun with the family and attending mass as appropriate.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2017, 19:22 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Whereas I love the shutdown - the one time of year everyone at my work is on leave and so are most of our clients, and I don’t have to worry about what might be going on in my absence. It’s a proper relaxing break :D

Christmas in 1920s Austria, with sleigh rides and roasting chestnuts and pretty (but not disruptive) snow and some gentle learning to ski and skate would be lovely, thank you!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 11:19 

Gottfried wrote:
I definitely agree that the Christmas in Innsbruck chapter is how it should be. Mrs Gottfried has always liked to stick to the 12 Days of Christmas idea, so we put up tree and decorations a few days before the 25th and keep them up until the first week of January. I've never seen why one has to have a new kitchen, sofa, bed or curtains for Christmas, as the TV ads want us to, or why we have to book a holiday on Boxing Day! Yes, Christmas in Innsbruck in the 1920s would do me very nicely, thank you.

I totally agree with this. I hate the way we now have a long, long build up to Christmas and then, as soon as the day itself is over people are trying to rush us through the rest of it - decorations down on Boxing Day, out to the Sales, booking their Summer holiday so they have 'something to look forward to'. Could we not just enjoy the twelve days of Christmas, with a short lead in so we're not all fed up of looking at decorations and hearing Christmas songs before Christmas has even fully begun?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 13:15 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Don't get me started on Christmas music in shops! I was in a local store in late October when I heard Nat King Cole singing "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" (Anyway, Mel Tormé wrote that and I prefer his 1961 version.) On top of starting the music two months early, nearly every shop keeps the doors wide open, even on the coldest day. I was pleased to see on a chilly day a couple of weeks ago that a number of shops in Harrogate were displaying signs on their closed doors which said 'open but cosy'.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 16:59 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

I am of the generation that can remember when Christmas Day was not a public holiday here! The children had their stockings, Catholics went to mass, the C of S people made a point of not going to church unless the 25th was a Sunday and women who didn't have young children would clock in their friends who had so they could have a bit of time with them - as long as they were at their machines by around 8.30am the gaffers took no notice.

There was a huge Christmas tree, a gift from Norway, in the City Square, the department stores vied with each other to have the biggest and brightest decorations and G.L. Wilson's always had the best Santa's grotto, but any mention of Christmas before about December 10th was met by "It's a long time to Christmas yet!" The first few Days of Christmas were spent getting ready for the New Year celebrations and by the time it came to Twelfth Night everyone was ready to put the decorations away!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 May 2018, 18:01