Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 25 May 2018, 11:55

Post subject: Re: Phyillis Matthewman and the Chalet School
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 13:43 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I never really believe that Len and Reg actually got married. In my head Len goes to University, meets other people, and realises that she is not in love with Reg and doesn't want to commit to him. I imagine her teaching for a few years and then marrying a nice SLOC and leading a conventional and happily married life, but not with Reg.

I used to imagine her marrying a vicar, but of course she's a Catholic.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 06:24 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Although this thread has PM in the title, most of the discussion has been about the evidence that EBD did not write all or part of Althea and Prefects. There's been no discussion of evidence that PM wrote or assisted with the writing.

Even if EBD did not write or only wrote part of these two books, it would still need to be established that it was PM who was the other person concerned. What is the evidence for that?

I've only read a couple of PM's school stories. I found her books competent with some parts feeling a bit like"CS-lite" as though she'd picked some things from EBD. I don't think I am familiar enough with her books to be prescriptive about her writing but, given my familiarity with EBD, I didn't feel that the books of PM's that I've read resembled Prefects "more" than they resembled any others of EBD's work.

I've seen elsewhere that PM wrote YA romances and that, as the progression of the Len/Reg romance is more akin to "YA romance" than EBD's writings, this is evidence of PM's involvement. That may be so, not having read any of these books by PM, I can't comment, perhaps someone else can. However EBD did write romance in "Jean of Storms" which often seems to be forgotten.

The other evidence that's usually quoted is that PM was a writer and EBD lived with her. That's evidence of opportunity certainly but neglects to consider whether other people might also have had the opportunity. EBD's editor and her publisher had such opportunity (and the clout) to edit, change or bring in "help".

Finally, there's a post on the "old" board (which I am unable to find at the minute) by a man who lived in the Matthewman/Brent-Dyer household during the period before EBD's death which denies that PM ever helped EBD with her writing. That evidence also needs to be weighed.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 08:27 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

Victoria wrote:
Finally, there's a post on the "old" board (which I am unable to find at the minute) by a man who lived in the Matthewman/Brent-Dyer household during the period before EBD's death which denies that PM ever helped EBD with her writing. That evidence also needs to be weighed.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8692

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 08:38 
Lamenting the amount of work

Victoria wrote:
That was 'Tuttsclump' (Bryan) - the thread is locked, but it's still there in the 'South Shields to Switzerland' section of 'Slogging at Lessons: Books' on the Board Index.

Good points, Victoria - unfortunately I've never read any of Phyllis Matthewman's books, or even come across them in second-hand bookshops over the years!

ETA: Just noticed I've been beaten to it by bythebrook - thanks for posting the link!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 10:53 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

There’s an article about him and EBD in one of the GGBP reprints - possibly Lavender Laughs but can’t be sure.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 13:20 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Victoria wrote:
EBD's editor and her publisher had such opportunity (and the clout) to edit, change or bring in "help".

Wasn't Sidney Matthewman EBD's editor, though ...?

Last edited by abbeybufo on 14 Jan 2018, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 14:22 

He was certainly her agent - I don't think he was ever her editor as such, though he came up with the title for Carola, and I think it would be surprising if he didn't make at least some suggestions about her writing from time to time.

Her editor at the time of Leader was called John L Blair (and the book is dedicated to him), but it looks as if very little is known about exactly who edited the books, even for Chambers.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 15:23 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

bythebrook wrote:
Victoria wrote:

http://www.the-cbb.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8692

What a fascinating thread, and the http://chaletschols.homestead.com/ website is still there!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 13:19 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

That post is locked to preserve it forever!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 25 May 2018, 11:55