Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 02:56

Post subject: If Darrell Rivers had been at the Chalet School....
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 11:42 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

who would have been her year group? I was trying to work it out and I think she would have fallen somewhere between Peggy and Bride age wise, but I'm not certain. I think the last Malory Towers book was written in 1950 so Darrell would have been born in 1932 if that's the case.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: If Darrell Rivers had been at the Chalet School....
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 12:50 
Lost!
Lost!

Sounds about right, though I'm sure it would have been EBDd as appropriate

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 21:02 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Darrell is 12 when she starts at MT in 1946 which would make her birth year 1933 or 4 depending on her birthday. (The final book was 1951)

Peggy Bettany is born in Princess which was published in 1927, and Bride was approximately a year younger. The closest Bettany in age terms would have been John on publication dates.

The problem is that the CS books (EBD time) and publication dates diverge.
In terms of publication dates, Darrell would have started in the hiatus between Gay and Three. By Three, she's in the Fourth at MT and and approximately 15. In age terms, and using the CS publication dates, she'd probably be in a similar form to Peggy.

However, her CS contemporary John Bettany (ie using EBD time) is only 11 or so by this time. This would make Darrell the same age as Clem Barrass.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 11:32 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

So by those dates she would have left school in 1951 which puts her somewhere around Peggy's age. She would have started in Armishire and finished during the second year on the Island?

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 13:11 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

I had never really connected the two worlds like that before.

I think MT girls had more freedom than CS girls, certainly they appear to have had a lot more free time!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 13:19 
Playing Impertinent Questions

It would be interesting to see Darrell at the CS a few years after MT. She would be astonished at the lack of midnight feasts, no tricks on either of the Mlles and no sorting out of classmates' weaknesses - that's left to Jo! Would she have clashed with ML and given her a few slaps?

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 16:10 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

I don't think she would have slapped Mary-Lou. Darrell when she starts school is more of a follower than a leader, so I expect she would have latched onto M-L's strong personality and been part of the Gang.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 19:26 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

I read this on a Mumsnet thread a few years ago. A description of how Darrell would have survived at the Chalet School:

Darrell Rivers sauntered casually into Leafy Dorm behind one of the prefects. "Everyone, this is a new girl. Make her feel welcome" the prefect instructed.
"I bags the bed by the window" said Darrell throwing her hockey stick across the eiderdown and sitting down with a sigh.
"Er, that's my bed. I always have the bed by the window" said a rosy cheeked girl with her hair in plaits.
"I bagsed it first" asserted Darrell. "Who are you anyway?".
"I'm Mary Lou" said the rosy cheeked girl smugly.
"MaryLou"? Darrell stared. "But Mary Lou is a quiet timid girl who looks up to me and thinks I'm wonderful".
"I don't think so" said Mary Lou removing the hockey stick from the bed and sitting down firmly alongside Darrell.
"Well, we can argue about it later" said Darrell haughtily. "By the way who was that frightfully common looking girl that I passed in the corridor just now? Cheaply pretty with a ghastly hair style".

"Oh that sounds like Joan Baker" said Vi, "poor girl. She knows no better".

"I bet she's secretly a cowardly thief or cheats at exams" said Darrell "girls like that are usually hiding something. I shall follow her tonight and find out".

Follow her? The girls stared. "We're not allowed out of bed at night" one of them said, "Matey would go mad and Miss Annersley would be very disappointed in us".

Now it was Darrell's turn to stare. "But that's what boarding school's about" she cried, "all the most exciting things happen at night. What about midnight feasts?"

"Oh we don't have any of those" said Maeve Bettany, shocked.
"There was one years ago" said Verity in her silvery voice "and a girl called Thekla ate raw bacon and was expelled".
"Well I don't think that's why she was expelled" said Mary Lou patiently "but yes, midnight feasts are definitely a very serious misdemeanour. And by the way you lot, we should be talking French today? Do you speak any French Darrell?"

"Not really" said Darrell cheerfully "but that's not important. Isn't the whole point of French classes to play tricks on silly gullible French teachers? I have some sneezing powder in my bag and a whoopee cushion as well. I can't wait".

"Are you quite mad" said Mary Lou crisply - but the truth was dawning on both Darrell and Vi Lucy.
"I say" said Darrell "I'm at the wrong school, aren't I?", at the same time as Vi said "Are you by any chance meant to be in Cornwall"?

"This is the Chalet School, isn't it" said Darrell "you're all awfully prim and proper and hero worship a woman called Joey?"

The girls nodded eagerly "that's right. And you're a Malory Towers girl aren't you - a snobby bully with a hot temper"?

"Yes, that's it" said Darrell, "Oh dear, what are we going to do".

Just then Mrs Rivers came rushing into the room. "Oh Darrell" she cried, "we're in the wrong school. Enid is simply furious and I believe Elinor BD isn't too happy either. Apparently we've mucked up their stories. At least, I think they said 'mucked up', I'm sure they're far too ladylike to say anything else. Do hurry up dear, your father's blowing the horn impatiently......"

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 20:48 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

I see what the author is trying to achieve, but they haven't done it very well. Darrell isn't anything like that her first year. She's quite timid and anxious about making friends and fitting in.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 23:51 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Vintagejazz wrote:
So by those dates she would have left school in 1951 which puts her somewhere around Peggy's age. She would have started in Armishire and finished during the second year on the Island?

It depends on whether you use publication dates or internal dates.
The MT books work on "one book a year" whereas (by this stage) EBD was generally "one book per term" so the internal dating is very different. If we accept that Darrell is 12 in 1949 then we can either use EB's aging of her or we can use EBD's. However, if we use EBD's, do we use it from the date Darrell starts school or from her date of birth?

From the EBD internal dating using Darrell's dob, Darrell would have started in Island and probably finished in Switzerland, and would have been younger than Peggy.
If we use the date Darrell started school and then apply EBD internal dating, then she starts between "Gay" and "Three" and would be Peggy's age.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 10:24 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Didn't someone write or start to write a drabble about Darrell going to St Millie's. I know there is one about Gwendoline Lacey in Sybil's year, but I do have a recollection of someone starting one about Darrell as well? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 17:02 
An extra hour in bed in the morning
An extra hour in bed in the morning

Victoria wrote:
Vintagejazz wrote:

The MT books work on "one book a year" whereas (by this stage) EBD was generally "one book per term" so the internal dating is very different. If we accept that Darrell is 12 in 1949 then we can either use EB's aging of her or we can use EBD's. However, if we use EBD's, do we use it from the date Darrell starts school or from her date of birth?

From the EBD internal dating using Darrell's dob, Darrell would have started in Island and probably finished in Switzerland, and would have been younger than Peggy.
If we use the date Darrell started school and then apply EBD internal dating, then she starts between "Gay" and "Three" and would be Peggy's age.

If Darrell was 12 in 1949, she was 2 in 1939 when the triplets were born. Peggy was then around 7 I think without checking. Josette is about a year then (depending on which of her many birth dates you use!) so Darrell is about a year older than Josette, which makes her about Maeve's age.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 04:43 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

ivohenry wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Vintagejazz wrote:

If Darrell was 12 in 1949, she was 2 in 1939 when the triplets were born. Peggy was then around 7 I think without checking. Josette is about a year then (depending on which of her many birth dates you use!) so Darrell is about a year older than Josette, which makes her about Maeve's age.

That, again, depends on which dates you want to use as "absolute" dates and when you want to insert Darrell into the EBD timeline.
In practice, Darrell can be made to be contemporary with anyone you like!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 12:19 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

mynameisdumbnuts wrote:
I see what the author is trying to achieve, but they haven't done it very well. Darrell isn't anything like that her first year. She's quite timid and anxious about making friends and fitting in.

To be honest, I don't think she was trying to achieve anything. It wasn't a serious thread, just one where they were all spoofing around and making up daft CS scenarios.

I thought it was funny anyway <shrug>

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 12:56 

I don't think Darrell was timid at all - she wanted a fun friend like Alicia (who later lets her down) rather than the quiet and staid Emily and Violet.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 13:21 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Mel wrote:
I don't think Darrell was timid at all - she wanted a fun friend like Alicia (who later lets her down) rather than the quiet and staid Emily and Violet.

Yes, I wouldn't have said timid either. A bit overawed during her first few days, and in thrall to Alicia who seemed so cool and daring, but she found her feet quick enough and threw herself into school life.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 13:26 

Fiona Mc wrote:
Didn't someone write or start to write a drabble about Darrell going to St Millie's. I know there is one about Gwendoline Lacey in Sybil's year, but I do have a recollection of someone starting one about Darrell as well? Or is that just wishful thinking?

I'd love to read this if anyone finds it or something similar. Darrell was always one of my favourite characters.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 15:30 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I've had a look through the St Scholastika's archive (where crossovers would be) and can't see anything, but, if anyone fancies writing one, please do :D . I've always thought that CS-land could have done with a few more midnight feasts and "treeks"!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 13:17 

I shall meditate on the idea and see if anything percolates out. If anyone else wants to grab it though feel free!

The Chalet School view on midnight feasts (as compared to the semi sanctioned attitude of Malory Towers et al) always struck me as odd, even as a kid reading the Swiss books. I found it weird that characters were still referring back to the Joyce incident - It wasn't until I was an adult and read the Linton-based books that I realised just how long ago that was.

On Brownie Camps we arrange semi-official midnight feasts. The girls think they're all doing it in secret, but the leaders are aware, and a little trickery with clocks means they're finished and back in bed by 9.30 pm!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 13:25 

I think EBD disapproved of midnight feasts because they encouraged greed, eating unsuitable food at the wrong hour and of course dangerous illness. Even more important was the slur on her lovely Chalet School which provided delicious (though carb and fat heavy) food. I seem to remember that midnight feasts were more to do with the secrecy and sense of daring rather than the food itself.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 02:56