Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 02:34

Post subject: People who should have their own spin-off books
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 15:25 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It was mentioned in the "Reunion" thread that Deira's life story would make a fascinating book in itself, and I was also thinking the other day that the Christy family (pirates, buried treasure, both parents losing their first spouses young, Big House, etc) should also have their own book. And I'm sure someone was supposed to've been writing a book about Gay Lambert's family's experiences in China - Ruth being kidnapped, and Tommy rescuing her! - but I don't know what happened to it. Then there's the one I'd really like to read - Margot Russell running off with Stephen Venables, and the sad story of how their marriage went wrong.

So, who else should have their own spin-off book :D ?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: People who should have their own spin-off books
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 15:47 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Veta's got a heck of a story, too, from royalty to fleeing Nazis to settling down in Britain as Mrs. Helston. How does she support herself? What happens to Belsornia? Does she manage to reunite with her father? Does she find new love?

The Linders children -- Joanna and Emmie escaping Germany and how their brother helped Bruno and Fridel.

Gertrude Beck's story, from her selection to infiltrate the Chalet School in Guernsey to whether she and her mother find refuge together in Denmark. (One of the fill-ins kills Gertrude off though.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 20:09 
Going for a walk
Going for a walk

mynameisdumbnuts wrote:
Veta's got a heck of a story, too, from royalty to fleeing Nazis to settling down in Britain as Mrs. Helston. How does she support herself? What happens to Belsornia? Does she manage to reunite with her father? Does she find new love?

The Linders children -- Joanna and Emmie escaping Germany and how their brother helped Bruno and Fridel.

Gertrude Beck's story, from her selection to infiltrate the Chalet School in Guernsey to whether she and her mother find refuge together in Denmark. (One of the fill-ins kills Gertrude off though.)

Which fill-in is that? Don't remember it. Was it a book or a drabble?

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 22:17 

ivohenry wrote:
mynameisdumbnuts wrote:

Which fill-in is that? Don't remember it. Was it a book or a drabble?

It's a book. I believe it's (spoiler alert, highlight to see answer) "Peace Comes to the Chalet School."

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 04:13 
Swept off by Matey to pack

Not CS but I always wondered what happened to Heather from the La Rochelle books and would have loved a book on her later life.

I too would like to read the Venables' story although surely not pleasant reading.

I wonder too how Gottfried's life panned out when he went back to presumably Austria after the war finished. How he got his new job and where did the family go to live? I always wish Jem had bought the Austrian San back with Gottfried heading it.

In fact I would like to hear too how Bruno came to be working in a bank and how he and Frieda settled back in Austria.

I would also love to know what happened to Mary Lou.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 08:33 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

Agree with all of these, especially Gay- she sounds like she had a thrilling life! Also would have loved to kow what Biddy got up to in between times at the CS, and her pov on her unconventional upbringing. Also, didn't the St Millies girls (in CS in the Oberland), attend a concert where it's hinted that the prima donna as a thrilling back story or is that a figment of my imagination (sorry don't have the book to hand)?
I also wish we could have a book full of answers to those niggly unanswered questions: what was in Prof Richardson's box? What was Tom Gay's news? Who was the mysterious stranger at the panto? etc.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 09:31 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

Audrey25 wrote:
Not CS but I always wondered what happened to Heather from the La Rochelle books and would have loved a book on her later life.

Me too! I loved Heather and she and the Shakespeare's are the only ones we don't hear from in the CS series. The other families are mentioned even if it's just one sentence.

And I would love a story about the Russell's Australia trip, the engagements and the visit by Margot and Emerence.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 13:33 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Reg - I know we got the story through the Village Boy series, but I loved that and woud have brought the book

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 15:01 

I have only read about Reg in the CS books. I know some of the fan fiction is marvellous and far better than EBD could have done but only she *knew* what happened to the characters and where they came from. The rest of us can only guess although it is fun to do so and can be great reading other board members' brilliant writing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 15:42 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Professor Richardson! What was he really doing with that rocket? What was in the unreadable letter? What about the mysterious box???

It could be a good spy thriller!

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 17:12 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

Bette. She marries, her husband dies in the same accident as Ted Humphries and then she goes off to housekeeper for a complete stranger thousands of miles from her home. Does she get a happy ending?

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 17:19 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Not really part of the CS but I think it would have been interesting to read about the Stuffer and Maria - what were 2 elderly ladies doing travelling around Europe alone post WWI?!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 12:47 

On the subject of random ladies, what about Frau Berlin? I know she was very rude to Joey and Grizel, but I'm sure there was something in her past that made her so bitter about the war - maybe she'd lost her husband, or sweetheart, or brother?

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 17:19 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

The person who really deserves her own story is our one and only Joan Baker.

Don't shout me down, just think about it.

No other CS pupil has her breadth of experience, and she has so much determination to get on in life that she deserves to be written about.

And I'd just love her to become s successful business woman, especially one who funds archaeological digs, on condition that OOAO should not be a member of the team.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 17:33 

And we could hear more about Vic Coles :wink: . I think Joan was very savvy: she's one of the few pupils - Maeve Bettany is another - who realises that speaking three languages is the big USP of CS girls, and plans to take advantage of that when looking for a job.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 04:04 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

Evadne is one who would make an interesting story. She's one of the few girls with multi-national parents (her mother is Tyrolean), and one of the few who has an international marriage. She spends most of the war in England, is engaged, her fiance is killed in action, she spends a number of years being wealthy and chic, then falls in love with a long-time widower friend and gets a title and three step-children.

Bette, definitely. I've always figured that 'housekeeper' was basically a euphemism for mail order bride, possibly to a widowed farmer with small children.

And I've always been curious about Jem's background. We know a fair bit about Jack's family background, but Jem is more mysterious. His parents are dead, his sister eloped and was estranged. He's got money enough to start a Sanatorium, all these weird contacts at high levels in various countries, and he speaks Afrikaans.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 15:28 

Thekla would be another good one. How did her parents react to her expulsion? Did she go to another school? What was her life like in Germany during World War II? What were her views?

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 19:55 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Quote:
Evadne is one who would make an interesting story. She's one of the few girls with multi-national parents (her mother is Tyrolean), and one of the few who has an international marriage. She spends most of the war in England, is engaged, her fiance is killed in action, she spends a number of years being wealthy and chic, then falls in love with a long-time widower friend and gets a title and three step-children.

Bette, definitely. I've always figured that 'housekeeper' was basically a euphemism for mail order bride, possibly to a widowed farmer with small children.

There is a series of drabbles by Josie on the SDL about Evadne. I also seem to remember a drabble about Bette too.

I wonder what happened to Lilamani and did Lavender continue to laugh once she left the CS?

How about the CS musicians, Margia, Jacynth and Nina? Three different generations but did they meet up on their various tours?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 23:15 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I wonder if Lavender died after leaving the CS. EBD made some comment about the school having lost touch with her, or something along those lines.

I also wonder what happened to Thekla after she left. Someone elsewhere came up with an idea about her being involved in the Stauffenberg plot!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 19:30 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Victoria wrote:
Bette. She marries, her husband dies in the same accident as Ted Humphries and then she goes off to housekeeper for a complete stranger thousands of miles from her home. Does she get a happy ending?

Come to that, it would be quite nice to know what Ted Humphries was up to before he came to work at the San.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 02:34