Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 09:17

Post subject: Sporting injuries
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 13:58 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Mary-Lou was hit by Emerence's out-of-control toboggan, there was the incident in Two Sams, and Joey fell over during the illicit trip to the ice carnival (not to mention Maureen nearly drowning), but I'm amazed that there were so few sporting injuries at the Chalet School! There've been various mishaps at the Winter Olympics, and Lady Louise Windsor's hurt her leg on a ski-ing holiday so evidently even royalty are not immune. But CS winter sporting injuries only seem to happen when someone's breaking the rules.

It's the same with ordinary field sports – there are incidences of people being hit with hockey sticks when someone's deliberately playing dangerously, but very few cases of someone getting hurt in a genuine accident, the sort that happen in all sports. There's one in a late Swiss book, but I forget who gets hurt – I think one of Jack Lambert's gang – and there's Ruey's lacrosse mishap, but there aren't many. Poor Hilda Jukes is treated as if she's committed the crime of the century when she accidentally injures Nina. Most school stories have plotlines in which someone misses out on a big match due to injury, and someone else heroically saves the day, but it doesn't happen in CS-land.

It just surprises me that, at such an accident-prone school, there are so few ordinary injuries. Maybe they were just too ordinary to be exciting enough to mention!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Sporting injuries
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 17:36 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

Quote:
very few cases of someone getting hurt in a genuine accident, the sort that happen in all sports. There's one in a late Swiss book, but I forget who gets hurt

Is it Lesley Anderson's elbow during Hockeygate in Challenge? It was an accident in that there was no intent behind it, but it might not have happened if Margot hadn't been so bad tempered.

Wasn't someone injured in a tennis match in Wrong?

I suppose EBD wasn't all that interested in games, and there was far more scope for dramatic events in snowstorms, fog, floods, on mountains, etc.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 17:53 
Learning the difference - can and may

I think something happens in Lavender too.

I suppose the question is whether sports injuries are/ we're that common in schools or just in school stories?

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 18:18 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

We had someone break a leg in hurdles once. I pulled all the ligaments in my hand while dry slope skiing with the school (admittedly was on a overnight school trip - same time as one of the teachers got two broken legs from getting run over by a quad bike ridden by one of the pupils - complete accident - although my daughter went to the same place, over 20 years later and that accident still gets talked about and given out as a warning when they use the bikes)

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 18:24 
Learning to stand on your own two feet
Learning to stand on your own two feet

There's lots of accidents generally, in fact nearly every stumble or fall results in a sprained ankle etc e.g. ML falling down stairs, Erica skipping and falling. Even someone(?) banging her head while under a desk results in bed for the day. In real life children are always falling or tripping with nothing worse than a bump, bruise or scabby knee.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 18:25 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

exile wrote:
I think something happens in Lavender too.

I suppose the question is whether sports injuries are/ we're that common in schools or just in school stories?
During a game of hockey, a rolled-in ball hits Lavender's ankle and she makes a fuss, then she hurts Anne Montague by careless use of her stick and taunts her for crying out. And Joy Bird trips Lavender up in a gym lesson, but then that's not an accident.

Good point about how frequent sporting injuries are in real life versus school stories. I certainly don't remember many, thought there was one at my junior school when a girl got a front tooth knocked out in a games lesson (hockey again). Oh, and even more spectacular, the RE teacher at my grammar school was hit on his (rather prominent) nose during a staff v seniors hockey match, with plenty of gore as a result.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 22:15 

I can only remember one serious incident in games lessons at school, where someone got hit in the face by a hockey ball and broke their nose.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 22:59 

We didn't really have any - although there seemed to be quite a few footballing injuries at the boys' school over the road, so maybe girls are less clumsy than boys :lol: - but we (strangely enough!) didn't have ski-ing and tobogganing.

People in other school stories are always "dishing their ankles", though, usually so that another character can come in as a last minute sub and score the winning goal.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 23:27 

Quote:
People in other school stories are always "dishing their ankles", though, usually so that another character can come in as a last minute sub and score the winning goal.

Or in Lois Sanger's case, routinely pretending to dish her ankle, so she had an excuse all ready if she didn't play her best.

Surely no GO sporting injury can beat the real life story that you must know of, Alison - Bert Trautmann in the 1956 Cup Final.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 23:39 

Red not Blue, but I do indeed know the Trautmann story very well :D .

That would make an interesting GO story - someone (Grizel?) plays on with a broken neck, until the Chalet School have won the Cup Final! I don't think they ever play for any cups, do they, apart from the rowing race against St Scholastika's? I never found the inter-form competitions in the Kingscote books very convincing, because you'd got 12-year-olds playing against VI formers, but an inter-house tournament would work and the CS hasn't even got one of those.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 23:41 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

exile wrote:
I can only remember one serious incident in games lessons at school, where someone got hit in the face by a hockey ball and broke their nose.

Only one I can remember was a nasty one - girl hit on the head by a javelin on sports day

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 04:28 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

We had one girl break an ankle in gymnastics - went over the vaulting horse and landed wrong. I always flunked gymnastics because I refused to do anything that involved leaving the ground. I had a good understanding of my own clumsiness, and knew what would happen if I tried backflips.

Skiing trips were more risky. I only went on a couple, and on one the leader fell and hurt her back, and I think other trips had various limb injuries. This was downhill skiing at a mountain resort with ski-lifts. I also flunked the skiing beginner lessons, because if I felt myself going too fast, I would fall over. And sledding, which was on school property in elementary school, but not an official sport, could lead to some unpleasant tumbles if you weren't sensible.

I did manage to sprain my ankle going down the stairs in my teens, so I can believe those plots. Also by falling over randomly while walking in later years, as the ankle is permanently weak.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 05:07 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Elfie had a bad ankle that was supposed to need surgery - Bride or Changes (when she was Head of Games I think)? Of course, she also damaged her ankle in Tom when Daisy had to carry her home. I suppose that depends on whether you class walking as a sport.

I think EBD got all the accidents on walks out of the way with that specific walk in Tom - didn't others step into freezing water or roll their ankle?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 13:55 
Tilting in Prep
Tilting in Prep

ivohenry wrote:
exile wrote:

Only one I can remember was a nasty one - girl hit on the head by a javelin on sports day

I vividly remember being hit on the bsck of the head by a rounders ball at junior school over 50 years ago. Apparently, it did no lasting damage, but I didn't pass out and I wasn't taken to hospital.

The boys at my grammar school played rugby, but I can't remember hearing of any serious injuries.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 16:08 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Doesn't Yseult break her collar-bone trying to ski into Mary-Lou, or have I completely misremembered? Though that's not really a sporting accident either, more a 'just desserts' accident.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 16:18 

Yes, I'd forgotten about that - although that's yet another "breaks the rules" accident, as you say. She was trying to nobble OOAO so that she could have her part in the play :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 22:42 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I got hit on the leg with a hockey ball once. Immediately came out in a massive lump and I could barely walk. This was at a lunch time game (which wasn't optional - so much for lunch time) and we had PE afterwards, and the teacher thought she was going to make me still play, but since I couldn't actually put weight on the leg much, I ended up being able to stay in. Since it was pouring out of the heavens by then, this was some kind of consolation! (Would never have been allowed at the CS - imagine any teacher daring to order girls onto the hockey pitch in any rain at all, let alone that kind of rain!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 13:39 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

Maybe there were quite a lot of sporting accidents but normally EBD did not mention them, choosing to concentrate on the ones which involved an "incident".

Not a sporting accident but doesn't Mary-Lou fall down the stairs in one of the early Swiss books and is unable to go on an excursion/outing? I always thought it was to keep her out of the way when there was an "incident" involving Margot or Emerence. One of the other girls then got the credit for the rescue. I am hazy on the details so apologies if this is rubbish.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 15:01 
...and Results
...and Results

Quote:
Most school stories have plotlines in which someone misses out on a big match due to injury, and someone else heroically saves the day, but it doesn't happen in CS-land.

Katherine Gordon gets to save the day!

The focus of the story is all on BLossom getting locked in the art room, but the girl playing in the first tennis pair (I forgot who she is) slips and hurts her shoulder, and Anthea Barnett, the first reserve has gone to bed with headache, so they had to call on Katherine - and they had to make sure the other school agreed to to such an unusual proceedure first.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 17:11 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

A girl raised her hockey stick too high during gym one day and hit me on the head so hard that my mum had to leave work and take me hospital. I also ran into a hockey goal with so much force one practice that both it and I fell over. And I fell off a ski button lift when I was a kid and rolled down the hill. None of that was as bad as my brother, who tore his ACL playing football for his school.

Now you mention it, it's also surprising that girls aren't injured during Sports Day -- twisting a wrist during wheelbarrow races or being crushed by a pile of girls when the tug-of-war rope breaks. That would ruin the fun though.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 09:17