Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 19:16

Post subject: Re: EBD's enthusiasms
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2018, 22:40 
Bored
Bored

Was Mike climbing down after a bird's nest when he fell down? (and caused Joey's long faint)

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 00:41 
Swept off by Matey to pack

ivohenry wrote:
Was Mike climbing down after a bird's nest when he fell down? (and caused Joey's long faint)

Yes! Maybe someone else will give more details.

Is a two hour faint even possible without some other underlying issue?

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 03:46 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Noreen wrote:
I think so, and there were two girls who had a bird feather collection at some point.

Gisela has one in Jo of. Not sure who the other person is though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 08:35 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

I'd forgotten that! Thanks, KB. I was actually thinking here of two girls who share a collection, later than Tyrol. I've just noticed in Carola that Sybil collected shells while they were on St Briavel's, but being Sybil, I can't help wondering if she collected them for their decorative effects rather than any interest in wild life, especially as embroiderers are an eclectic bunch as a rule, taking inspiration from all sorts of stuff.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 20:18 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Audrey25 wrote:
Is a two hour faint even possible without some other underlying issue?

According to NHS direct most last about 20 seconds and to call 999 if more than 2 minutes

I know the only time I fainted I wasn't out for long, and then there was a short period where I could hear people but couldn't quite manage to respond, then I started vomiting (was probably close to the two minute mark in total) - and I was taken straight to A&E and didn't get home for 4 days

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 00:22 

Thanks, Claire. I don't suppose in real-life Joey would have been back cosily at Freudesheim without a hospital spell first.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 12:46 
...and Results
...and Results

So presumably she hit her head when falling, and had some mild concussion - which I don't think would be treated in the hospital as a standard at that time. Jack (who is eminently qualified) would have had her under observation at home in case anyfurther complications developed, and there was plenty of help around the house to ensure that she could rest as much as needed.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2018, 22:58 

As we've already mentioned in the Daintiness topic, she was definitely an enthusiast for floral-themed rooms - mostly bedrooms. The pink drawing-room at Plas Howell is also in this category, though it's stated that it dates from the 1860s, unlike the rest which must be more recent. Monica Marilliar and Gwensi Howell's rooms are very floral, and of course there are the Quartette's rooms in The New House at the CS.

Top prize for me goes to the guest room at Les Arbres, in which Janie installs Nan Blakeney when she comes to stay:
Quote:
Such a pretty room it was! Wallpaper, curtains, cretonnes on the chairs and small couch at the foot of the bed were besprinkled with roses. Muslin curtains with ruffles hung inside the cretonnes. A big log-fire glowed and spakled on the white-tiled hearth. The lamps had rose-flowered shades. Roses twined on the creamy ground of the carpet and over the big eiderdown.
I think I feel sorry for the maids, having to keep that clean, especially the fireplacen!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 06:53 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

That makes me think of the bedroom set pictures with everything matching that you used to get in the Sears catalogues, turned up to eleven. I'm not much of a floral print fan to begin with, but patterns on absolutely everything except the ceiling sounds rather claustrophobic.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 08:43 

Well, as I've said before in the discussions on the La Rochelle books, I think this stuff may have been EMBD's fantasy take on what she would have liked (or thought she'd have liked) but never had; it would probably have appealed no end to the younger female reader, too - they that are currently into pink and Disney Princess.

I did have a pink-papered room with rose-printed curtains as a child, but that was about as far as it got in the 1950s UK unless you had wealthy parents! I did see the 1970s Laura Ashley version of this in a neighbour's house - matching (brown and white print) wallpaper, curtains, bedspread, tablecloth and cushions, with a brown carpet - yes, definitely claustrophobic.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 09:07 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I had pink flowers at one point. When I was a Naughty Middle, in the days of the Stone Roses et al, I wanted to have my entire bedroom painted black, and I was very put out when Mum and Dad refused point blank :lol: .

The prefects' rooms in New House are presumably meant to sound "charming", but all those bright yellow flowers first thing in the morning would have driven me mad!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 09:36 
...and Results
...and Results

I like yellow flowers - even on wallpaper. And when one is used to it, you often don't even consioulsy see patterns on wallpaper, cutains ets.

When my mother was a teenager she and her sister (my aunt) painted their room black with orange fittings (skirting boards, radiatiors, etc). She always avoided giving me the full story, but I got the impression that they did it without permission when their parents were away for a few days. No one said they couldn't, because they never asked. I never heard what their parent's reaction had been!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 20:18 
Learning to stand on your own two feet
Learning to stand on your own two feet

EBD certainly enjoyed writing about interior décor. I think one of the best is the Highland Twins' room at Plas Gwyn which is fairly plain green and white - with no florals. I feel sorry that she never had a whole new school to design to her own taste for instance if they had bought land on the Platz and built a totally new, purpose-built school - she would have loved it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 21:07 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Noreen wrote:
As we've already mentioned in the Daintiness topic, she was definitely an enthusiast for floral-themed rooms - mostly bedrooms. The pink drawing-room at Plas Howell is also in this category, though it's stated that it dates from the 1860s, unlike the rest which must be more recent. Monica Marilliar and Gwensi Howell's rooms are very floral, and of course there are the Quartette's rooms in The New House at the CS.

Top prize for me goes to the guest room at Les Arbres, in which Janie installs Nan Blakeney when she comes to stay:
Quote:
Such a pretty room it was! Wallpaper, curtains, cretonnes on the chairs and small couch at the foot of the bed were besprinkled with roses. Muslin curtains with ruffles hung inside the cretonnes. A big log-fire glowed and spakled on the white-tiled hearth. The lamps had rose-flowered shades. Roses twined on the creamy ground of the carpet and over the big eiderdown.
I think I feel sorry for the maids, having to keep that clean, especially the fireplacen!

Was Laura Ashley a thing back then? I always think of Laura Ashley when I read some of the descriptions.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 21:22 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

The Laura Ashleigh company wasn't founded until 1953 and the description of Nan Blakeney's room at the Lucy's is, I think, set in an earlier period. But Janie Steps In was only published in 1953, though possibly written earlier. I suppose that if EBD had revised an earlier manuscript before publication, she just *might* have been influenced by Laura Ashley's designs, though truthfully I think it unlikely.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 23:31 

Seconding what Elder has just said about Laura Ashley not really being a possible influence on EMBD's descriptions of rooms. It was also a very small firm when it first started, with a modest output more or less limited to tea towels and table napkins to start off with. It was the 1960s before it grew to any great size, with ranges of dress and furnishing fabric and clothing, and EMBD died in 1969. And Laura Ashley's early designs were often produced in much bolder colour schemes than EMBD seems to have liked: I think my own money is on the illustrations of Beatrix Potter and Kate Greenaway...

Have just realised that at this moment I'm wearing my favourite Laura Ashley T-shirt. And it's lime green...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 07:52 

She was certainly into Kate Greenaway, because they had a Kate Greenaway Sale at one point.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 19:16