Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 18:44

Post subject: Re: Sale themes
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 15:30 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I suspect it's more 'Merrie England'-type 'Ye Olde Englyshe' - sort of cod-Tudorbethan/Medieval

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 16:07 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Old English Spangles (boiled sweets) perhaps? Liquorice, humbug, pear drop, aniseed and treacle.

But yes, as abbeybufo has just beaten me to saying, Victorian/ Edwardian ideas of Old English, undoubtedly.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 16:42 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Wishing wells, maypole dancing on the village green, mummers (see also EJO!), lots of ale and roast beef that sort of thing? The Victorian idea of what life in Merrie Englande was like before Nasty Old Cromwell put the mockers on it and the Industrial Revolution finished the job off... as opposed to most people living in poverty and dying of the plague or whatever!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 20:08 

I think they had just about everything you mention, Alison, except the roast beef and ale (surprise). :-)

I wonder whether EMBD was familiar with Edward German's opera 'Merrie England'? That's got May-Day, Robin Hood and Good Queen Bess in it. Although it was written in 1902, it was apparently very popular with amateur theatrical groups and much performed at the time of the Queen's coronation, which was only three years before Genius (the CS book in question) was published.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 21:04 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

Noreen wrote:
I wonder whether EMBD was familiar with Edward German's opera 'Merrie England'? That's got May-Day, Robin Hood and Good Queen Bess in it. Although it was written in 1902, it was apparently very popular with amateur theatrical groups and much performed at the time of the Queen's coronation, which was only three years before Genius (the CS book in question) was published.

Oh that must explain why we learned "O Peaceful England" as well as "This Royal Throne of Kings", in Coronation Year - my second year of secondary school! (Nothing like dating myself, is there?!) I knew the former was from "Merrie England" but didn't realise the opera was so popular at the time! And I knew "This Royal Throne of Kings" as a song at least a couple of years before I learned John of Gaunt's speech when we studied 'Richard II.'

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 22:17 

The things that one learns at school, Elder, and the way they cross one's path again in later years!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 01:43 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Does the UK do Ren Faires? I picture an Old English sale being along those lines, with less beer and jousting.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 05:29 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

cestina wrote:
Kate Greenaway, I imagine, was delicately coloured children's clothes rather than Regency as such. There is a lovely book "The April Baby's Book of Tunes" by Elizabeth von Arnim, illustrated by Kate Greenaway. I proudly own a copy....

There's a scan of The April Baby's Book of Tunes at archive.org - thanks for letting me know, I'll prepare it for Project Gutenberg. We also include music files as well as the text and illustrations.

emma t wrote:
I'd heard of The Willow Pattern, but not Kate Greenaway. Never really thought about it until this thread, so might just have to have a look for a blurb of The Crown Of Success, and see what it's actually about.

It's an ebook at Project Gutenberg. Not one of mine, somebody else got there first!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 13:24 
Going to tea at Freudesheim

On that note, how about a Robin Hood sale? They could have got a few of the taller girls to dress in drag and Sybil or Vi could have been Maid Marian. :D

And Yseult would probably have loved an Arthurian sale. Of course, she'd have wanted to be Guinevere.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 15:50 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

ivohenry wrote:
mynameisdumbnuts wrote:
I had never heard of Kate Greenaway, A.L.O.E. or the Willow Pattern before the Chalet School. At least the latter two are somewhat explained in the books. I wonder why there was no Mary Poppins or Peter Pan sale? They seem like stories young people would suggest.

Although Mary Poppins was first publshed 1934, EBD may not have known it. It's not really the sort of book an adult with no children and probably very little contact with any would come across. She does mention Angela Brazil, Elsie Oxenham and Dorita Fairlie Bruce which isn't surprising, also a couple of mentions of Violet Needham, but most other children's book mentions are those she'd have read in her childhood.

I wouldn't say she had very little contact with children given she was a teacher and ran a Guide group, but I assume back then there was very little chatter between teachers and pupils about this sort of thing. I'm thinking back to my own schooldays and a chemistry teacher who didn't have any children, but still could talk about Harry Potter. Different times, I suppose.

Alison H wrote:
Wishing wells, maypole dancing on the village green, mummers (see also EJO!), lots of ale and roast beef that sort of thing? The Victorian idea of what life in Merrie Englande was like before Nasty Old Cromwell put the mockers on it and the Industrial Revolution finished the job off... as opposed to most people living in poverty and dying of the plague or whatever!

I do like the idea of Middle Ages theme that takes a macabre turn and has the juniors dressed up as hungry orphans and Tom sending in miniature homemade instruments of torture. The challenge is to guess what they did. :devil:

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 17:07 

That sounds like an Antonia Forest sale. Though Tom building a mini Tower of London is something I can see her doing.

Speaking of hungry orphans, how about a Dickens sale? Did they ever read any Dickens books? I know OOAO did because Kenwigses was a Nicholas Nickleby reference.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 17:31 

A Tale of Two Cities gets sets several mentions (now that could be another macabre Sale); also Dombey and Son; and The Old Curiosity Shop (Mrs Jarley) twice. I'm sure there are others...

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 17:54 

Of course! I forgot the bit in the first book where they're in France and Joey quotes Sidney Carton's last words.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 04:52 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Lotte wrote:
Speaking of hungry orphans, how about a Dickens sale?

A Dickens sale is one of the options mentioned in Coming of Age, and gets applause so it's popular. It was eventually decided that it was too similar to ALOE's Crown of Success.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 10:22 
Receiving support from the form

jennifer wrote:
The Willow pattern is actually pretty interesting - it's not at all Chinese, but was developed in England, and the story was completely made up as a marketing tool.

I was about the mention that. The story was invented by Minton's Willow patter and various stories were invented based on the elements of the design

So when Julie tells the girls the story - she's essentially reciting an advertisement!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 20:11 

Why would they have a Sale based around a plate? Why not just have a Chinese sale?

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 02:34 

Lotte wrote:
Why would they have a Sale based around a plate? Why not just have a Chinese sale?

Wasn't St Mildred's doing a pantomine for the Willow Pattern and they decided to match it?

And it basically ended up being a Chinese sale anyway as none of the characters or setting were non-Chinese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 02:37 
Being rude to your sheepdog

There was a comment to the effect that it was serendipitous that they were both doing the same theme, not that it was planned.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 08:54 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

The Willow patter was in nearly every home at this stage - either as the main crockery set, or a few pieces such as jugs. Even as late as the 1950s my grandmother's dresser was full of it - I have a few of those pieces to this day. Nearly every English girl would have known it, so it was a logical theme to take.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 10:55 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

abbeybufo wrote:
The Willow patter was in nearly every home at this stage - either as the main crockery set, or a few pieces such as jugs. Even as late as the 1950s my grandmother's dresser was full of it - I have a few of those pieces to this day. Nearly every English girl would have known it, so it was a logical theme to take.

As a child I had a beautiful illustrated book about the willow pattern story.

Now of course I need to try to track it down!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 18:44