The CBB
http://the-cbb.co.uk/

Disposable Nappies
http://the-cbb.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15038
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Supersal [ 19 Sep 2018, 19:59 ]
Post subject:  Disposable Nappies

When were these invented? I cannot imagine how Joey managed her twins on the prolonged journey to the Oberland using cloth nappies. Did they have some kind of ultra protective bag to put them in? Or were there some kind of facilities in train stations to swap dirty for clean?

Author:  Noreen [ 19 Sep 2018, 20:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

Supersal wrote:
When were these invented? I cannot imagine how Joey managed her twins on the prolonged journey to the Oberland using cloth nappies. Did they have some kind of ultra protective bag to put them in? Or were there some kind of facilities in train stations to swap dirty for clean?

Full-sized disposable nappies were available from the 1940s onward, though probably not in the UK until after the end of WW2. Rather more surprisingly, disposable pads to use within the cloth nappy were available from at least 1888, though they were fairly expensive: according to some of the advertisements, they would appear to have been developed with travelling in mind.

I don't think EMBD was ever terribly bothered about practicalities like this, and they probably wouldn't be of great interest to most of her readers either. And there was a tendency to suppress the subject, even in baby care books as late as the 1930s - "not nice", you know.

Author:  Mel [ 19 Sep 2018, 21:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

And Anna would have refused to use them...

Author:  Noreen [ 19 Sep 2018, 22:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

It does seem likely, doesn't it?

Author:  Mrs Redboots [ 26 Sep 2018, 21:11 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

You put the used nappies in a waterproof bag of some kind, having rinsed them by flushing the loo on them (don't let go, whatever you do!). I know disposable nappies were available in the 1960s, when my sister was born, but they were not used regularly as they were not very good - terry nappies, especially with a one-way liner, and perhaps a disposable liner to catch - stuff - worked far better. I found the disposable ones brought my daughter out in a rash, so we always used terries - she even learnt to fold her own when she got to the stage of only using them at night!

The modern disposable nappies seem to have been developed around 1990 - sometime between my niece and her brother's using nappies. I remember my brother waxing lyrical about how marvellous the new ones were compared with the ones he'd had for his daughter!

Author:  Lottie [ 26 Sep 2018, 22:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

I remember disposable nappies being used, occasionally, by my brothers and sister in the late 1950s and early 1960s. They were called Paddi Pads. Googling, to check that I had remembered the name correctly after all this time, I discovered that they were invented by an army wife - Valerie Hunter Gordon. Apparently they are of historical interest, and you might still be able to buy them!

Author:  cestina [ 27 Sep 2018, 11:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

Lottie wrote:
I remember disposable nappies being used, occasionally, by my brothers and sister in the late 1950s and early 1960s. They were called Paddi Pads. Googling, to check that I had remembered the name correctly after all this time, I discovered that they were invented by an army wife - Valerie Hunter Gordon. Apparently they are of historical interest, and you might still be able to buy them!

My daughter was born in 1969 and my son in 1972 and I used Paddi Pads for her because we travelled and camped a lot.

However they were not very satisfactory since the lovely soft lining that is advertised on the packet was cottonwool which tended to separate from the rest of the pad, leaving a disgusting mess to deal with. (It didn't help that I am cottonwool phobic - it's a real thing and even has a name Sidonglobophobia. One famous sufferer is Ellen Degeneres).

By the time son was born there were other, far better, disposables on the market and it was a great deal easier to deal with his needs than it had been hers.

Author:  MaryR [ 27 Sep 2018, 16:27 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

cestina wrote:
It didn't help that I am cottonwool phobic - it's a real thing and even has a name Sidonglobophobia.


Thanks for that info, cestina, and poor you! I don't have a fear of cotton wool, per se, but can't bear the feel of it at all, nor indeed the sound it makes when you handle it. "What sound?" hubby always asks. Both the feel and the sounds make me curl up inside and shiver, and I will only use it when nothing else will do.

Author:  cestina [ 27 Sep 2018, 18:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

MaryR wrote:
cestina wrote:
It didn't help that I am cottonwool phobic - it's a real thing and even has a name Sidonglobophobia.


Thanks for that info, cestina, and poor you! I don't have a fear of cotton wool, per se, but can't bear the feel of it at all, nor indeed the sound it makes when you handle it. "What sound?" hubby always asks. Both the feel and the sounds make me curl up inside and shiver, and I will only use it when nothing else will do.

Well I don't think it's actually going to hurt me, it's not fear in that sense, but just thinking about it makes me feel sick and like you, touching and hearing it makes me curl up inside. Horrid, horrid stuff!

Author:  exile [ 27 Sep 2018, 20:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

I'm like that about sponges. Icky things

Author:  Lisa [ 27 Sep 2018, 22:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one with an antipathy to cotton wool ... it makes me come out in goosebumps all over just thinking about it! That's true - not an exaggeration!! I have them now!! My sister used to torment me when I was younger with it!!

Author:  Mrs Redboots [ 30 Sep 2018, 18:03 ]
Post subject:  Re: Disposable Nappies

My son-in-law can't be doing with it, either, for similar reasons!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/