Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 18:43

Post subject: Bridesmaid politics
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 07:38 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I was thinking about this whilst watching Princess Eugenie's wedding, and wondering if Joey got her photo all over the society magazines of the 1930s when she was Elisaveta's chief bridesmaid :lol: .

Being a bridesmaid in CS-land seems to say a lot. Poor Grizel is told that she can't be a bridesmaid for Juliet, and that she can be a bridesmaid for Joey but not chief bridesmaid. It was very rude of her to ask, but it's sad because it shows how desperate she was to be included. Another one is Sybil: Joey suggests that Simone ask Daisy, Primula, Peggy and Bride, but specifically says that she shouldn't ask Sybil. 20 years later, Sybil is told that she can be Bride's matron of honour if Peggy can't come, but will have to stand aside if Peggy's there - could Bride not have had two matrons of honour rather than shoving poor Sybil out at the last minute?! And none of the Russell girls are bridesmaids for Daisy (and nor are Beth and Gwensi, but I think EBD forgot about them). Hooray for Phoebe and Peggy, who do include Sybil!

Joey, on the other hand, gets to be a bridesmaid for everyone. Why on earth would Bernhilda and Kurt have asked Joey and Robin to be bridesmaids? And Cornelia asks Madge to be her matron of honour, but says she'd rather have had Joey - although I don't know why she'd particularly have asked either of them! The triplets also get to be bridesmaids for everyone. Definitely a sign of favour! And Peggy is a bridesmaid for Elma Conroy!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Bridesmaid politics
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 12:40 
Learning to stand on your own two feet
Learning to stand on your own two feet

What is a matron of honour exactly? I always thought it was a bridesmaid who was married but in the Royal wedding unmarried Beatrice is matron of honour but not in the procession whereas Pippa Middleton was Kate's chief bridesmaid or was she matron of honour too?
I agree the bridesmaid question in the CS is crazy and some kind of power game.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 14:13 

I thought that a maid of honour and chief bridesmaid were pretty much the same thing, "maid of honour" being more common in America and "chief bridesmaid" in Britain, and that the term "matron of honour" was used for a bridesmaid who was married.

I think Beatrice's official role was "maid of honour", but some of the media seem to be confusing things by saying "matron of honour" :? . Not sure why she wasn't in the procession, though. Maybe they thought she'd be better off supervising her mother!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 14:27 
Bored
Bored

Alison H wrote:
I was thinking about this whilst watching Princess Eugenie's wedding, and wondering if Joey got her photo all over the society magazines of the 1930s when she was Elisaveta's chief bridesmaid :lol: .

Being a bridesmaid in CS-land seems to say a lot. Poor Grizel is told that she can't be a bridesmaid for Juliet, and that she can be a bridesmaid for Joey but not chief bridesmaid. It was very rude of her to ask, but it's sad because it shows how desperate she was to be included. Another one is Sybil: Joey suggests that Simone ask Daisy, Primula, Peggy and Bride, but specifically says that she shouldn't ask Sybil. 20 years later, Sybil is told that she can be Bride's matron of honour if Peggy can't come, but will have to stand aside if Peggy's there - could Bride not have had two matrons of honour rather than shoving poor Sybil out at the last minute?! And none of the Russell girls are bridesmaids for Daisy (and nor are Beth and Gwensi, but I think EBD forgot about them). Hooray for Phoebe and Peggy, who do include Sybil!,

I think the reason Jo says don't ask Sybil to Simone is that she wasn't sure she'd behave. She's a bit younger than Bride and Primula and more likely to play up a bit.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 15:21 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

ivohenry wrote:
I think the reason Jo says don't ask Sybil to Simone is that she wasn't sure she'd behave. She's a bit younger than Bride and Primula and more likely to play up a bit.
Yes - I can't find Goes to It at the moment, but doesn't she say something like "I do not advise you to have Sybil - your wedding wouldn't lack incident", and I think Simone would be terribly embarrassed at, say, an episode like the one with Beth and Mike at Janie and Julian's wedding.

Many years later, of course Bride could have had joint matrons of honour; I did, in fact. It's a little unusual, but then so is having nine bridesmaids or whatever! A cavalcade indeed...

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 11:22 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Alison H wrote:
And Cornelia asks Madge to be her matron of honour, but says she'd rather have had Joey - although I don't know why she'd particularly have asked either of them!

I can understand that. Joey does help Cornelia in a lot of difficult time and is the one Cornelia turns to when it's first announced Mademoiselle LePattre is so ill. It is also said in Exile that Joey is the only one who knew how close she was to Mademoiselle and Hilda would have told her privately had she known. The only other one who was aware was Matey. There are a lot of time mentioned when Corney couldn't go home, when Madge and Joey have her over for school holidays etc and Joey does invite her for Christmas in Exile when she has the accident with the plane. Whilst Evvy Lannis was her best friend, Joey was the one who she does turn to when things are really tough for her. Almost like an older sister or mentor. I think the relationship between Corney and Joey does show Joey at her best. So can understand why she would have wanted to ask Joey. I also get the impression and this may have been from the fill-ins rather than the books, that Madge does step up to the plate when Mademoiselle dies and is so ill before hand and does provide a guiding hand for Corney

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 08:06 
...and Results
...and Results

Madge isn't at Daisy's weeding since she had German Measles, so all the Russel girls would have been in quarrantine. According to the original plans they might well have been among the bridesmaids.

On the other hand, Daisy had lived for a long time with Joey, and part of her original reason for moving was Sybil's attitudes and behaviour towards her and Primula, so Daisy may not have really wanted Sybil as one of her bridesmaids - and it would have been a bit pointed to have the other two without Sybil... Really, it was a very convinient case of German Measles - especially as quarrantine was over before Jo and the famly had to leave the country.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 08:11 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Miriam wrote:
Really, it was a very convinient case of German Measles - especially as quarrantine was over before Jo and the famly had to leave the country.

Especially since Madge apparently had German measles more than once ... or am I thinking of measles - in Jo Returns she says she's had that twice?

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 12:24 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Some people can have a childhood disease twice.

I had chicken pox twice, the second time I was really ill with it.

One of my sons, the elder, had no childhood diseases, but number two had chicken pox twice. but he never had measles or German measles. He did get mumps, a really bad bout, starting a five year bout of ill health, with tonsillitis and chest infections. This ended only when I insisted that he have his tonsils out. He was having tonsillitis at least five times every winter, wasn't growing, had a poor appetite, never put on any weight and was a general cause of concern.

after he'd recovered from the op, he never looked back, and now tops six feet, though he's overweight.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 12:15 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Just like in real life! A woman who I often have as a sparring partner in boxercise class fell out with one of her bridesmaids because the bridesmaid didn't like her dress (I think they made up eventually though). I could tell she was in a mood because she was battering me! :lol: I'd say bridesmaid politics is definitely a thing that happens. Along with which guests to invite and whether you should have a dog as a ringbearer (as one friend did - the priest was fine with it as he loved dogs himself).

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 17:12 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

I never quite understood why most of the girls had to be bridesmaids anyway.There is enough siblings in each family without having to include others, for instance the triplets...lol

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2018, 16:17 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I never really understood Cornelia wanting either Madge or Joey for bridesmaid. Madge just bumped into her by chance while she was in Canada and neither she nor Joey even knew that Cornelia was getting married.

So however close she was to the Russells and Maynards during her schooldays, they had obviously not really kept in touch and had drifted apart. I would presume, by then, Cornelia had other closer friends that she would want as bridesmaid/matron of honour.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 18:43