Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 18:43

Post subject: Re: Joey's Wedding
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 19:04 
Declaring it to have been the best term

If the wedding was at Pretty Maids, wouldn't there have been issues with travel? I thought they ended up in Guernsey, and so would have been married there. Plus, as Joey is still recovering from their flight from Austria, any more travel might have been an added strain.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 20:06 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

emma t wrote:
If the wedding was at Pretty Maids, wouldn't there have been issues with travel? I thought they ended up in Guernsey, and so would have been married there. Plus, as Joey is still recovering from their flight from Austria, any more travel might have been an added strain.
Yes, travel may have been an additional strain for Joey, and yes, petrol was the first thing to be rationed when war was declared on 1 September 1939 - but as the wedding must have taken place before WW2 was declared, there should have been no issues with travel (and the school and the Russells, Lucys, Ozannes and Chesters had yet to move to England anyway). The ideal thing about Pretty Maids is that Jo and Jack might have had problems having a Catholic wedding in Guernsey where neither of them was known, but much less likely to in Jack's home area.

One does see why Elinor didn't tackle this event...

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 08:28 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'd never really thought of all this before! I'd just assumed that the book was long enough already, although it did seem odd that, having written such a detailed description of Janie Temple's wedding, she didn't write about her next heroine's wedding. But, yes, it could have got horrendously complicated!

A civil marriage would have been an option for a mixed faith couple who weren't particularly religious, but I'm sure Jo and Jack would have wanted a church ceremony.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 09:26 

I certainly hadn't thought through the details, especially the timings of various events - my main recollection of reading Exile for the first time was that I thought it was an absolute swizz that we didn't get to see the wedding, and I suspect that that's most people's reaction. :-)

Good point about a civil marriage - and of course, had they married in Tyrol as Jem originally suggested, they would have had to have that as well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 22:19 

Alison H wrote:
I'd never really thought of all this before! I'd just assumed that the book was long enough already, although it did seem odd that, having written such a detailed description of Janie Temple's wedding, she didn't write about her next heroine's wedding. But, yes, it could have got horrendously complicated!

A civil marriage would have been an option for a mixed faith couple who weren't particularly religious, but I'm sure Jo and Jack would have wanted a church ceremony.

Just like everything else we discuss in general of what she did write / didn't write :) or could have been :D I'll bet EBD didn't think people would be discussing them at such length years later.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 23:04 

I'll bet she didn't - and it's surely an indication of how appealing her books are. It's often the case that authors' popularity slips a bit in the years immediately following their death, but I'm not sure that Elinor's ever did.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 01:04 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Noreen wrote:
I'll bet she didn't - and it's surely an indication of how appealing her books are. It's often the case that authors' popularity slips a bit in the years immediately following their death, but I'm not sure that Elinor's ever did.

Although EBD's original readership would have been mainly children, and most of her readers today would be adults (sometimes the same people, just older). I'm an adult convert, I only discovered the series in the early 1990s, with the Armada paperbacks.

There are a large number of adults who enjoy reading children's books - the publishers of Harry Potter brought out 'adult' editions with subdued cover art. But that might have been an extreme case, considering the popularity of the Potterverse.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 02:05 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Under more normal circumstances I can see Joey revelling in a big fancy wedding - the dress, the cake, the bridesmaids, the decorations, being the centre of attention and having everyone fuss over her. If things had gone as planned I think they'd have had an engagement long enough to cover Joey's conversion, and then had the big church do.

I see the wedding in Guernsey rather than Pretty Maids for the sake of Joey's family - the Russells have just done a chaotic international move with two businesses and a household with nine children (and a distraught Joey), and I think Madge was pregnant at this point. Taking a boat and train journey to England for a wedding ceremony in the middle of that would have been a lot harder than Mr and Mrs Maynard coming to Guernsey.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 13:43 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

jennifer wrote:
Under more normal circumstances I can see Joey revelling in a big fancy wedding - the dress, the cake, the bridesmaids, the decorations, being the centre of attention and having everyone fuss over her. If things had gone as planned I think they'd have had an engagement long enough to cover Joey's conversion, and then had the big church do.

I wonder. Madge's wedding, after all, was pretty low key. And Joey would have been focussed on Jack, not anyone else. So I think that the Joey of Exile would have been content with something quite lowkey, even in other circumstances, although she clearly did have a veil and bridesmaids (but so did Madge). However, by the time you get to the Joey of the last years, I agree that Joey would have wanted to be the centre of attention even more than any bride automatically is, and the retrospective 'memories' might even have been adapted accordingly. Joey in Exile was still what I think of as 'real Jo', rather than 'caricature Joey' of the later books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 23:29 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

Joey and Jack travel go straight to Guernsey (well, as straight as travelling across Europe could be) from Switzerland. Madge and Co. plus the San (minus Dr Russell) are already there. The plan is to get married a couple of weeks later.

Given that Madge is pregnant, Joey is unwell from the stress, Margot Venables is unwell generally plus there are a whole crowd of children and it is traditional that weddings are held at the bride's home rather than the groom's, that would strongly suggest that the wedding was in Guernsey. The timing of "a couple of weeks" also suggests a marriage by special licence rather than by banns, and, in the circumstances, a civil wedding with a "blessing" afterwards (since there's also no time for religious instruction etc) seems likely.

The timing of a couple of weeks isn't going to allow much time for producing anything fancy in the way of weddings either.

Now we need to work out who gave away Joey!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 23:43 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Based on the description of Daisy’s wedding, it’s likely that Joey had a small affair with everyone having some involvement.

Possibly Jem gave her away, and her bridesmaids would have been Robin, Daisy and the other little girls. The staff at the San were likely to have been the guests.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 02:39 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

I cannot imagine anyone but Jem giving her away unless he could not be at the wedding for some reason.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 08:59 

Years and years ago, someone wrote a short drabble about Madge feeling sad that Dick wasn't there to give her away on her wedding day. I think Herr Marani gave her away.

Jem and Jack must both have become experts! I think Jack gave Biddy away, and possibly Gillian as well, and Jem must have given Juliet away.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 18:43