Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 12:26

Post subject: Re: Joey's Wedding
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 19:36 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Guernsey would make sense. Jack said that, apart from the hassle with the paperwork in Switzerland, it'd be nice to be able to have their own people there, and it would have been easier for Jack's parents (I think his dad was still alive then?) and maybe Bob if he could get leave, Lydia and Rolf to travel to Guernsey than for Madge, Jem, Margot and all the kids, plus Grizel and the Lintons and various others who also seemed to end up in Guernsey, to travel to Pretty Maids.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 00:35 
Dashing off for your part in the play

I am glad the wedding was in Guernsey and presumably hosted by Madge rather than Jack's parents doing it.

Joey & Co definitely left Austria in June. In the hardback copy of Exile the book states that it was June and would soon be light the first night they are on the run.

The book also says they were in Switzerland for three weeks before Joey, Jack, Miss Wilson and Robin set out for Guernsey.

I would think the wedding must have taken place around end of July/ August. Josette arrives two months later which must have been around October then there is the chicken-pox which takes it to winter.

Jo and Jack have been married 10 months when the second part of Exile starts.

Apologies as all of this has no doubt been said by others but I have not looked at it for a while.

Just to add, I am hoping to go to Guernsey for a day at the end of May when I am in Jersey so have been noting place names to visit!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 00:51 

Sorry for writing again but I have noticed that when Janie calls on Joey on 30 August, Joey tells her Josette is about 10 months old now so Josette must have been born in the October and Jo married in the August..

Also, Jo mentions she had just moved to her new house. It had mentioned before she was wanting somewhere else nearer Madge.I hadn't appreciated before that Jo and Jack had moved house whilst on Guernsey.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2019, 17:41 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Don't know if this helps or hinders in working out dates, but in "Lavender Laughs" it says,

"Marie married almost as soon as she left school; but the others were a bit later. Jo came next when she was twenty, nearly twenty-one. She'd been in India for the cold weather just before, and she got engaged to Dr Jack shortly after that. At least, it was about a year later. They were married just after they escaped to England."

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 11:13 

Annied wrote:
Don't know if this helps or hinders in working out dates, but in "Lavender Laughs" it says,

"Marie married almost as soon as she left school; but the others were a bit later. Jo came next when she was twenty, nearly twenty-one. She'd been in India for the cold weather just before, and she got engaged to Dr Jack shortly after that. At least, it was about a year later. They were married just after they escaped to England."

EBD deliberately changed the age at which Joey had the triplets sometime after Exile was first published. In the hardback of Exile Joey is 22 but later on this is deliberately changed to 21 or very nearly 21. When this change was made all the other ages stayed the same and timescales stayed the same.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 12:26