Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 02:41

Post subject: Christmas cards
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 22:11 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I wonder how many cards Madge and Joey sent, and how long it took them to write them all :lol: . I don't send that many these days, and, because I keep up with most people on social media, I don't put more than "Dear X and Y, Merry Christmas and a happy new year," on most of them, but it still took a while. They must have sent hundreds :lol: . And Jem and Jack probably expected their wives to write their cards, as well!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Christmas cards
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 22:22 
Sharing a joke with the doctor

Don't remember many mentions of Christmas cards - only one I can think of is Joey saying she and Gypsy Carson exchange cards, think the mention is in Chalet Girl from Kenya when she has the letter from Maisie Gomme

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 22:52 

I suppose there aren't many, because Christmas is usually in the holidays, but Joey really must have written loads if she exchanged cards with someone like Gypsy, whom she'd never really known that well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 00:40 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Christmas cards used to serve the function that social media does now, but just once a year. People would include letters and photos, with updates about family events over the last 12 months. Of course, letter writing was not a lost art in those days, but the seasonal cards served to extend communication to that next circle of acquaintances. I still get cards from people who exchanged them with my parents (although fewer and fewer in recent years, sadly).

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 00:46 

I still get cards from people I've not seen for about 50 years, but it's good to continue to keep in touch once a year. I like those that include a note, even if just a few lines scribbled inside a card, but not sure about the point of just signing from John and Jane when they are people from the long ago past.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 08:53 

My mum used to get one from an old friend of my grandma's, long after both my grandparents had died, just signed from Auntie D and Uncle F. One year, it came just signed from Auntie D, so we had to assume that Uncle F had passed away during the year, but it didn't actually say so, which was a bit awkward! I'd definitely put a note if it was from someone I hadn't been in touch with during the year.

I can imagine Madge and Joey sending loads to former CS pupils, and old friends from Tyrol days, and probably some old friends from Taverton as well ... and hopefully to all the relations who got forgotten about after the first few books. Jem and Jack probably got cards from grateful ex-patients :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 03:06 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Yes, the Christmas card exchange served the same purpose as checking out someone's Facebook profile - a brief update on what people had been doing over the past year. Then you have the more modern update letter, which came about when you could write a generic letter on the computer and print multiple copies. The upside is that it's faster, the downside is that it lends itself to people rambling on for paragraphs about every last detail of the past year.

For Joey and Madge, I imagine the Christmas cards would be fairly short - updates on babies marriages and new wards and moving, and longer letters would occur at intervals throughout the year.

By the end of the series, Joey's pool of correspondents would include people from Taverton, Tyrol, Guernsey (including the La Rochelle crowed and their connections), Armiford, Canada and India, old classmates, mistresses and random people from St Scholasticas, distant relatives on the Bettany and Maynard sides, her siblings, plus various nieces and nephews who had moved out on their own (Peggy, Bride, Maeve, Daisy, Primula, Sybil, Josette, David, Rix). So I could easily see her sending out 50+ cards, and writing at least a couple of letters a week the rest of the year.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2018, 09:56 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

They each must have sent hundreds and hundreds of cards. Joey even seems to receive presents from people she only knew when young. Goodness knows the number of cards she sent.

I read that every year Prince Charles used to spend several days at the estate of the late Duchess of Devonshire (Debbo Mitford) doing nothing but signing Christmas cards.

I use them still as a means of keeping in touch with old work colleagues whom I was friends with but have moved away. I only do letters to a few but put a few lines into a number of them. In the court where I live we also hand deliver cards to a number of neighbours. The majority of the people in the court do this.

For five years now I have also put out the Christmas card orders for a local charity which produces leaflets with their own cards. The leaflets don't only generate orders for the cards but also donations and orders relating to other parts of their service. I love doing these orders and parcelling up the card orders. It really appeals to me for some reason!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 02:41