Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 00:42

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Choosing baby names in CS-land
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 12:20 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Alison H wrote:
Is anyone here named after a parent's friend, or is that more common in books?

My brother's middle name is after the son in law of friends of my parents. He and his wife were unable to have children because he was infertile and so Mum gave my brother his name as his middle name. Most of our family have middle names after someone in the family. My older sister was name after an actress on The Avengers, a TV show in the sixties

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 14:48 
Being rude to your sheepdog

When I was little, a friends of my Mum's named her newborn twin sons after my brother and me (well, as they were both boys one of them had to be called Lawrence rather than Laura, but it's close enough). I always thought that that was quite funny.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 15:40 
Playing end of term games

Llywela wrote:
Alison H wrote:
Is anyone here named after a parent's friend, or is that more common in books?

I had a friend in school who lived on a farm, and was quite happy to tell anyone who would listen that she had been named Lucy after one of the cows!

Not quite after a cow, but when choosing my name the family story is that my father came in from milking the cows and said "let's call her Patricia". Presumably inspiration struck while he was peacefully milking - before the days of milking machines!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 22:13 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

Noreen wrote:
jennifer wrote:
I don't think we ever get a middle names for Maeve, Maurice, Michael and Geoff, but the rest all have them given. Of the older generation, Joey, Madge and Jem have middle names given, but I don't think any of the others do.
Helen McC;elland, in Elinor M Brent-Dyer's Chalet School has Geoffrey Martin and Philippa Anne for the two youngest Maynards, which I suspect is from a Newsletter.

Oh my goodness my daughter is a Philippa Anne :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 22:32 

Think Michael's middle name is Richard, or maybe James, could be Charles that is Richard and Michael is James. We do have middle names for all the Maynards, though not Maeve and Maurice.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 09:08 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Just thinking about D-Day, my dad's best friend at primary school was born on VE Day and named Winston after Churchill!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 23:42 
...and Results
...and Results

When I was born I was the first grandchild on both sides. A day or two later my grandfather turned up with a list of all of his relatives who had been killed in the holocaust, the implication being that they were expected to choose a name rom the list. My father had grown up with that family history and was semi expecting it, but it came as rather a shock to my mother. In the end both my name w d the next sister came from the list.

My youngest sister was meant to have been named Sarah after my great-grandmother who had died a few months earlier. When it came to it, though, my mother couldn't cope with naming her brand new baby after this old decrepit woman, so she became Esther Sarah. I'm not sure if Esther was on my grandfather's list or if (contrary to Alison's parents!) they just liked the name.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 09:29 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

One of my great grandfathers and his siblings all have surnames as second names. Great Grndfather and a sister have ther mother's maiden name. The other names do not appear in the family tree. I tracked down 2 through Ancestry and Google but do not know what the connection is with my family apart from place as they all lived in Dumfries.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 11:12 
Giving a Junior an order mark

Yes, my maternal grandfather's two middle names are completely random surnames - though there is a family legend that his mother found them while reading the horse-racing pages... :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 15:27 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Bizarrely, according to my mother I am named after an old girlfriend of my fathers, not quite sure why she agreed to it.
I was born with a shock of black hair, which reminded my father of this girl and so I was named after her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 12:59 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

In my family, we tend to get middle names from our parents. I've got my mum's name as my middle name and my brother's got Dad's name as his.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 18:51 

My nephew is James, so is his father (though he's known by his second name), so was his grandfather, great-grandfather and great-great grandfather. So far he has no children of his own, hope if ever he has a son, his partner won't dislike the name James!

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019, 02:20 
Saying you only know three German words

My middle name (Joanne) is a name in its own right of course, but is also a mix of my grandmother's first name (Josephine) and my mother's middle name (Ann).

My brother has two middle names, one of which is is the name of our maternal grandfather.

Both of my mum's parents died way before she was even married, so I think she insisted that their names were used when my brother and I were born.

Historically, the name Hester was used a lot in our family, and I had it down on the list of possible names for my first child (we had no idea if we having a boy or a girl). Sadly for me, a short time before the birth, there was all the fuss about Steven Hester the banker, and reluctantly I removed the name from the list. We did end up with a girl, who almost got named Griselda......but we're not that cruel!

We had some doozies of names in our family tree - Tryphena and Philadelphia are two good'uns that spring to mind.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 10:04 
Going to tea at Freudesheim

miss_maeve wrote:
My middle name (Joanne) is a name in its own right of course, but is also a mix of my grandmother's first name (Josephine) and my mother's middle name (Ann).

My grandparents did something similar for my mother - he was Reginald and she was Betty Rosina, so they combined Reginald and Rosina and called my mum Regina.
miss_maeve wrote:
We had some doozies of names in our family tree - Tryphena and Philadelphia are two good'uns that spring to mind.

Ancestry can be a goldmine for unusual names. We have a Sexa (and a Sexah), a Parthenia and an Easter, among other standouts.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2019, 12:09 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Not quite a baby name but I've always wondered about Daphne Russell's name. It's always stressed that Daphne is no relation and yet she bears Madge's middle name and Madge's married name and happens to be the best friend of Madge's eldest niece! Wasn't that just unnecessarily complicated?!

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2019, 12:23 

Very like real life, though!

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2019, 19:11 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Real life naming situations and good practices for writing are often very different! In real life, you have multiple Jennifers littering the landscape, and people with similar sounding names, and difficult pronunciations, while in books it's better to have clearly distinct names that the readers can pronounce. So Daphne Russell is confusing reading, but totally realistic, while random people naming their babies Josephine based on short acquaintance is very literary, but less realistic.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 10:24 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

jennifer wrote:
Real life naming situations and good practices for writing are often very different! In real life, you have multiple Jennifers littering the landscape, and people with similar sounding names, and difficult pronunciations, while in books it's better to have clearly distinct names that the readers can pronounce. So Daphne Russell is confusing reading, but totally realistic, while random people naming their babies Josephine based on short acquaintance is very literary, but less realistic.

EBD seemed to like using the same names over and over - how many variations of Margaret were there just in the BMR families? Or her naming all three triplets 'Mary'?

I can understand naming a baby after somebody with whom the parents have a short acquaintance if they like the name. But naming somebody as your child's unofficial godmother on such a short acquaintance is another thing entirely! Especially as Jo would have been Protestant when she was in India and only converted to Catholicism later.

Nobody thought of getting Jo's address from her publishers (or asking them to pass on a letter) before Dacia-Denise (or whatever her name was) died? Better to just wait on Oxford Street until you bump into a complete stranger?

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 12:19 

Margaret:
Madge Russell
Margot Venables and Margot Maynard
Daisy Venables
Peggy Bettany

Apparently they didn't like "Maggie"! Greta isn't really used in English - that would have been another one :D . Elisaveta's daughter, named after Madge, is Guita.

The Erica storyline is ridiculous. Suppose Jo had been unable (or just unwilling) to look after Erica, because of ill-health or other reasons? And surely Dacia must have had someone who'd have been a better bet than a woman she'd had a holiday friendship with 20 years earlier and hadn't seen since?! Preferably someone whom Erica at least knew.

Madge and Jo have a lot of kids named after them. I always find it very rude when Frieda wants to name her daughter Josephine and Jo tells her not to bother because she's got enough namesakes, and suggests Carlotta instead :roll: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 10:16 

Alison H wrote:
I always find it very rude when Frieda wants to name her daughter Josephine and Jo tells her not to bother because she's got enough namesakes, and suggests Carlotta instead :roll: .

Yeah, and it isn't as if Jo bothered to name any of her own children after any of her dear friends. Only Jo is special enough for that!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 00:42