Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 19:59

Post subject: The name "Joey"
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 15:23 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I don’t know if anyone else has seen the story in the press about a man who’s still got a box of chocolates that he gave to his future wife in the 1950s, but I was interested to see that the late wife’s name was Joey. Josephine’s an unusual name now, but Joanne and Joanna are both very popular in my age group, and I don’t know anyone who shortens either name to Joey rather than Jo. The only Joeys I know are Josephs … although Joe seems to be more common. I never watched Dawson’s Creek but gather that that has a female Joey as a main character, but I can’t think of any others, although I know EBD dedicates one of her books to a girl called Joey Timmins. Is this something that’s changed over time, or is it another case of EBD liking boyish nicknames for girls?

I vaguely remember something about the spelling of Jo in the Faraway Tree books being changed to Joe in later editions, because people would assume that Jo was a girl rather than a boy, but Joe (short for Joseph) was a very popular name in my grandparents’ age group (around the same age as Joey Bettany) and always spelt Joe, as far as I know.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: The name "Joey"
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 16:04 
Released!
Released!

One of my schoolfriends in the late fifties /early sixties was called Josephine, but we always called her Josie - or gave her her full name. Like at the CS, it was always Josephine at school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 16:15 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I know 2 Josephines. One prefers her full name while the other prefers Jo.

Joey used to be a popular name for budgies

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 16:29 
Giving a Junior an order mark

I think I've only known three Josephines in real life - two of them were mostly Josephine, but sometimes Jo for short, and the third was Josie, which apparently none of the Bettanys like as a short form (so presumably EMBD didn't either); the rose-growers Cants of Colchester have an award-winning rose called 'Just Joey' which is named after the wife of one of the Partners. The only Joey I know is a boy called Jonathan!

I've always thought it slightly odd that Joey is mostly called Jo as a child and Joey as an adult - to me the latter sounds less adult, if anything, not more - but from what Joey says to Phoebe in Rescue, she thinks of it as more affectionate.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 20:49 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Does anyone remember a programme called 'Dawson's Creek'? Katie Holmes' character in that was called Joey.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 00:20 

I never watched it, but I know the name of the character - the only other female Joey I could think of!

Joey Maynard starts off as Joey, when she's 12, then becomes the more adult-sounding Jo when she reaches her mid-teens ... and then reverts to Joey when she gets to about 30. It coincides quite closely with the move to Switzerland. I'm sure there's a deep and meaningful reason for it!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 07:28 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

Alison H wrote:
although I know EBD dedicates one of her books to a girl called Joey Timmins.

I'd assumed that EBD had a say in the naming of her goddaughter - as Joey does in the series e.g. Carlotta van Ahlen (sp. ?).

:oops: sorry, I'd assumed that Joey Timmins was EBD's goddaughter, but reading Alison's post again, there's no mention of it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 08:43 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

My colleague’s 16 year old daughter is called Josephine - she is known as Jo.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 09:04 

bythebrook wrote:
I'd assumed that EBD had a say in the naming of her goddaughter - as Joey does in the series e.g. Carlotta van Ahlen (sp. ?).

:oops: sorry, I'd assumed that Joey Timmins was EBD's goddaughter, but reading Alison's post again, there's no mention of it.
It's OK, she was one of EMBD's god-daughters, though one can't know who chose her names and why (and there may have been other reasons for choosing 'Josephine'): the dedication of A Chalet Girl from Kenya reads "For my god-daughter JOEY TIMMS (Josephine Mary Loyola Timms) with much love and best wishes for all her future from Elinor Mary Brent-Dyer".

PS I'm honestly surprised that nobody in the books makes the link between Joey's name and her hero Napoleon, if only how appropriate - he's sometimes even credited with coining the form 'Josephine' for his first wife (Marie Joséphe Rose Tascher de la Pagerie), but adding 'ine' to a male name to make a female form was common enough, I'd have thought.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 10:18 

I think I've read that Josephe was the usual feminine form of Joseph before Napoleon decided that Rose's perfectly good name wouldn't do and he was going to rename her Josephine :lol: . Josephine definitely only became popular because of Napoleon's first wife. I've also wondered why no-one made that link with Joey, but I assume EBD named her after Jo March and didn't stop to think about any other Josephines ... which is odd, because I'd say that the Empress was still the best-known Josephine in history.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 16:14 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

One of my Aunts is called Josephine, but never Joey.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 05:28 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

The shift from Jo to Joey occurs at around the same time Jo Scott join the school - maybe it was to avoid confusion between the two characters.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019, 10:09 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Am currently re reading 'Goes to it' and probably as a result of this thread, I have been noticing the inconsistency of Jo/Joey's name.
On a single page she is some times Jo and sometimes Joey, in fact even in some paragraphs she starts of as Jo, becomes Joey then it reverts back to Jo.
From personal experience I know family and friends often use different abbreviations of ones name, but they usually don't chop and change from one to another as seems to happen with Jo/Joey

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019, 17:49 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

I don't know I have a friend called Vicky (real name Victoria) and we all switch between Vic and Vicky (and in the same sentence too)

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019, 22:48 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

I know a 7-year-old Josephine, who is Josie for everyday. And a contemporary of mine at school was (and still is!) Jo-short-for-Josephine; the only Joanna in our year used, and still uses, her full name. I know several Joannas who are called Jo, but the Joannes I know all use the full version....

ETA Also, people do have different nicknames from different friends/family members. I don't allow my name to be shortened except by members of my own family, and my sister has one form of her name in public and another for family use only. So it's quite probable that some people called Mrs Maynard Jo, and others knew her as Joey.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 23:28 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

My late mother in law, born just before WW1, so similar in age for Joey, was Josephine. She was named for her father, Joseph, but was always called Joyce!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 14:26 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

When practically learning (some of) the books by rote to write my fill ins, it seemed to me that, although there was a general trend of Joey to Jo and back to Joey again, EBD featured the character so much and used the name so much, that it suited her needs to vary the usage of Jo and Joey. Just for a bit of variety in the text....

In my family tree (29,000 plus on Ancestry) I can’t think of a single Josephine. Joan, Joane, Joseph (plenty of those)...

On checking, there are 6 women with first name Josephine, 3 of whom are distant connections born in the USA, 1 of whom was Josephine Martha known as Jessie (she was born in India in the 1850s), and only 3 of whom were born post-1900. The closest to me is a first cousin x2 removed, born in 1922 in Peterborough.

For comparison, there are 41 Joan/Joane/Joanne/Joanna’s in my tree, ranging from the early 1700s to the modern day. Including my sister, who prefers Jo. :D

(ETA, and 156 Caroline’s. Ancestry is super annoying in that I can’t search for middle names, only first or last...)

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 20:00 
Playing end of term games
Playing end of term games

I have a cousin Josephine, born 1946. There were a couple in my school, one born about 1943 and the other about 1938. Don't think it was ever very common.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 08:37 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

In the US, girls' names starting "Jo" peaked in the 1930s. Joan was the most popular (7th place), followed by Joyce at 12. Josephine was 64th in the 1930s, but peaked earlier, in the 1910s at 23rd place.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 01:44 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

I knew a Josephine when I was young but did not know her well enough to know if her name was ever abbreviated. I quite like the name Jo but dislike Joey and Josie nor is Josephine a name I particularly like.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 19:59