Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 19:29

Post subject: Mlle Lepattre and Simone
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 14:04 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Just following on from the comments about Joey in the Swiss school thread, the fact that Simone is Mlle Lepattre's cousin never seems to be an issue. They must have been close, for Mlle to have paid for Simone and Renee's education, but there hardly seems to be any interaction between them, and no-one else ever even mentions the fact that they're related. Or am I missing something :D ?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Mlle Lepattre and Simone
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 14:09 
Asked to help with the play

You're right - we never see any family like interaction between them, the way we do with Madge and Joey, or even Madge and Robin or Juliet.

Maybe Mlle Lepattre had been closer to Simone's parents years ago, or had been close to their parents. Say that Simone's grandparents had educated Mlle Lepattre, and now she was returning the favour, but didn't really know Simone's family all that well.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 21:10 

Unlike other characters, Simone never gets a book in which she is the major focus. Apart from the hair-cutting incident, she's always part of a group or shown in her interactions with other, more prominent characters. Mlle Lapattre is treated in a similar fashion - even her serious illness is shown in effects on other people, we don't "see" the story from her POV.

I have always assumed that such personal interactions were happening off-stage. Simone would have gone to tea, out for walks etc. but we don't see or hear about this because they are both "bit" players.

i was trying to think if we ever see Robin in personal interactions with her father

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 21:52 

IIRC, there's one scene in which he tells Robin that she's got to do as Madge tells her! I think it was to do with bedtime. It's a bit strange: he's effectively saying that Madge is the one responsible for her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 07:54 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Alison H wrote:
IIRC, there's one scene in which he tells Robin that she's got to do as Madge tells her! I think it was to do with bedtime. It's a bit strange: he's effectively saying that Madge is the one responsible for her.
I think we're told it in retrospect, which often lessens the impact, but yes, I've always read that as putting Madge in a parent's place. I suppose that's because he and Robin seem to be devoid of relatives, so there is nobody who would naturally be the next in line after him - which does make me wonder, yet again, was he engaged for at least some of his life, on something like intelligence work or espionage?

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 11:03 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Noreen wrote:
Alison H wrote:
I think we're told it in retrospect, which often lessens the impact, but yes, I've always read that as putting Madge in a parent's place. I suppose that's because he and Robin seem to be devoid of relatives, so there is nobody who would naturally be the next in line after him - which does make me wonder, yet again, was he engaged for at least some of his life, on something like intelligence work or espionage?

There's a scene in Eustacia where Robin got into trouble with Madge for throwing water out of the window instead of getting rid of it as she was supposed to and as it hit Eigen, she was told by Madge she had to apologise to him. It said there were two punishments Robin hated, one was to stay in bed and the other to apologise. She tried to appeal to her Father at one stage over the punishments and her Father told her to not ask him that again as Madge loves her and would never do anything wrong with her punishments - she had to accept being punished.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 14:31 

That's the one I was thinking of - thanks, Fiona!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 13:06 
...and Results
...and Results

The question really is how well Simone knew Mdlle before they came to the Tyrol. Simone was around eleven at the time, and may not have seen her aunt fir some years. All we know about Mdlle is that she has been working as a governess for some years and was not happy with her job. That being the case, there must have been limited financial means available, which ould have prevented from travelling back to France, even for a visit. If she had been living in England for four or five years, simone would have been a little girl last time she saw her aunt. Even occasional visits in the summer would hardly constitute a solid enough basis for a close relationship.

Mdlle is much older than Madge, and probably contemperaneous (or older than) Simone's parents, and you would hardly expect to see her behaving like Madge does. She is generally a much more formal type of person. It's hard to imagine her interacting that that way, and we really see very little of her in off duty moments. Maybe she thought she had done her duty to be nieces by providing them with s good education .

We do see simone as being very upset (though controlled) when her aunt dies.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 16:42 

Miriam wrote:
Mdlle is much older than Madge, and probably contemperaneous (or older than) Simone's parents...
Especially as the blood relationship between Mlle and Simone is described as that of cousin - and it may well be cousin once removed (i e a first cousin of one of Simone's parents).

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 16:59 

I doubt they did know each other that well - which makes it quite strange that Mlle was offering to pay for the girls' education. It's not as if she had money to spare, and it sounds as if she goes without a salary in return for Simone coming to the school, to start with. Maybe she was just very kind :D . It must have been a huge shock for Simone to have packed off to a foreign country with a relative whom she didn't know very well.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 19:29