Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 29 May 2022, 09:30

Post subject: Did the CS pay rent?
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2021, 05:24 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

It is stated that Ernest Howell offers the CS the use of Plas Howell on condition that they take care of Gwensi. Did they also pay rent? What about after Gwensi left school and the CS were no longer taking care of her but were still using Plas Howell?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Did the CS pay rent?
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2021, 21:09 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

"But we must be businesslike" says Miss Annersley to Ernest Howell at the end of the chapter.

I would read the situation as Mr Howell needs to find a) someone to look after Gwensi and b) to take care of the house. Probably, he recognises that large houses in safe areas are likely to be in demand for various things and he prefers the thought of a girls' school to the alternatives (see Mary-Lou and her friends thinking of all the worse things that could have happened to the Big House in "Island"!)

I don't see it as "take Gwensi and you can have the house" more that "I will let you my house on condition you admit Gwensi to your school". (In fact, Mr Howell says that Bob Maynard had suggested sending Gwensi to the CS "But I didn't like the notion of her being so near to the continent" before he had suggested Mr Howell offer Plas Howell to the school). There's probably some offsetting of Gwensi's fees against the rent and it may well have been that the CS was responsible for keeping the place in repair which may also have lessened the actual payments.

I can't think of anywhere that rent is specifically mentioned but equally there's nothing that rules it out. Clearly they are renting in Guernsey and they would(There is an EBDism later in which Plas Howell is bought by the School but later is still owned by Ernest Howell but I feel we can disregard that)

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Did the CS pay rent?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 14:00 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

I don't know how the numbers would work out, but if the school took responsibility for maintenance, repairs and paying the household/property staff, that could go a long ways towards what rent would cost. Ernest Howell may have given them a bargain knowing that the building and property would be in responsible hands, and Gwensi would be well looked after.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 29 May 2022, 09:30