Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 02:12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The cold and cloudy morning Procrastination Party
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 08:24 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

I want to do some wall hangings as a new project, but I'm not very sure where to start - is it worth learning some more tapestry or embroidery skills, or should I sew/appliqué instead, or is there a third option I've not thought of yet...like weaving? (there, thought of it!) Anyway, it's something to mull over.[/quote]

Tapestry Weaving by Kirsten Glasbrook is a good book to start with.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 09:48 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Nooooo not more books! :D (But it looks amazing!)

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 09:49 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Quote:
or is there a third option I've not thought of yet...like weaving? (there, thought of it!) Anyway, it's something to mull over.

When we were house hunting a few years ago we went to see this old place in the Borders and one of the attic bedrooms had a loom! I was very taken with the idea. Sadly the house needed far too much work and went for more than we were comfortable paying, but the weaving idea is still bubbling under…

Oh to have several lives with plenty of time and energy to do everything.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 10:11 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Oh, I want to weave more than any other craft at the moment, but I can't afford a loom, big or small. I am going to see what Father Christmas might bring, though...

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 10:24 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Finn wrote:
Oh, I want to weave more than any other craft at the moment, but I can't afford a loom, big or small. I am going to see what Father Christmas might bring, though...

You can use a picture frame with nails for tapestry weaving................just a thought. I do have a small Ashford Tapestry frame you could borrow if you would pay the postage. Also the book assuming I could find it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 18:43 
Swept off by Matey to pack

Finn wrote:
emma t wrote:
That cake sounds lovely!
Finn, how did your scraps - blanket turn out?

I went for a walk this evening to make the most of the sun before it started to rain :)

You can see it on FB if you haven't already, Emma :) Suffice it to say, bright, but my mum (I took it round to hers to finish it off this evening) said that it was quite earthy, which is not an adjective I'd have thought of - but I sort of see what she means!

I want to do some wall hangings as a new project, but I'm not very sure where to start - is it worth learning some more tapestry or embroidery skills, or should I sew/appliqué instead, or is there a third option I've not thought of yet...like weaving? (there, thought of it!) Anyway, it's something to mull over.

I had a look yesterday, Finn it looks good and liked your post :)
Let us know how your next project, goes!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 10:21 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

janetbrown23 wrote:
Finn wrote:

You can use a picture frame with nails for tapestry weaving................just a thought. I do have a small Ashford Tapestry frame you could borrow if you would pay the postage. Also the book assuming I could find it.

I do have an embroidery frame somewhere, that is missing a few nuts and bolts but would presumably do for a small piece?

Thank you very much for the offer! I shall bear it in mind - I'll decide on my next project first and maybe have a quick try at some tapestry techniques before I say a definite "yes please" :)

ETA: thank you, Emma! I'm quite pleased with it, for all that it's a non-matched scraps piece. I'm trying to use up my current stash before buying any more bits!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 10:23 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Still putting off getting going on the day's post-feeding everything tasks - I plead lack of sleep last night, mainly down to hot weather rather than kittens (though they did help, of course).

Anyway, I can offer Victoria sponge and bread pudding to anyone feeling peckish, courtesy of my neighbour who loves to bake but has never (as she has just remarked) learned to make smaller cakes now that the household is down to two...

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 10:48 
Lamenting the amount of work

I should love some Victoria sponge please Noreen and can offer the best Colombian coffee in return....

I am in the happy state of having nothing to put off. Four wash loads (two done last night in preparation for hanging out early today) are swinging in the breeze and hot sunshine, daughter is sunbathing with a book in the walled courtyard and I am about to join her though I shall lie in the shade. If I can make my smart new chair work.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 11:09 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

That's a good swap - thanks, cestina! And yes, I'm still procrastinating...

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2016, 04:55 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Hi everyone! :)
Cake sounds good, Noreen; I've been watching reruns of The Great British Bake-Off and thinking I should bake more (oddly enough that never gets translated into actually baking at all ;) )
I can offer... umm... four-seasons-late Pretty Little Liars theories? My sister's roped me into watching it, and it's annoyingly addictive - as evidenced by the fact we only started watching it a few months ago and are already starting season four.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 15:36 

Has everyone succumbed to the heat today? Don't know what it's like in the UK but here in the CR it has been pretty unbearable. Only one visitor to Small Worlds all day and she was breaking her journey home. I should imagine everyone else is sitting by or in a lake or pool somewhere.

I've just looked at the forecast and although the temp is not as high as I had thought, the humidity is at over 80% which is what makes it so impossible to move around.

Fortunately I have very thick stone walls, both at home and in the museum so by keeping the doors, windows and curtains shut, I can just about cope....and there will be thunderstorms later apparently.

Those poor people trying to get across to France :( :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 15:45 
Very much in quarantine
Very much in quarantine

It's very pleasant here, cloudy and quite fresh, compared to the humidity of the last few days. Hope you're enjoying the new chair, cestina. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 17:13 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

I agree, Cestina, it's definitely the humidity which triggers such feelings of inertia!!!

At just approaching noon here, we have a temperature of 29 , but with humidity, feels like 37, on the way to a "real" high of 31, with humidity making it feel like 39! This is day 2 of a heatwave with attendant warnings about avoiding too much outdoor activity, drinking plenty (non-alcoholic!) looking out for frailer neighbours etc. Thank goodness we have air conditioning in here and in our car! In fact when I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday morning, it wasn't all that hot, but it was so humid that when I got out of my car, my glasses steamed up! At the other extreme, of course, I don't doubt we will be complaining about the sub-zero temperatures, ice and snow in six months' time!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 19:46 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

One of the (many) good things about the new car [which we finally picked up in mid-June] is the aircon. We have had several days this week when we have needed to use the car, and had we not had that, I'd have been completely 'out of it' for the whole of the next day. Since I had commitments on the following days in each case, though they didn't require use of the car, this was a great blessing!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 22:22 

I must admit that I am smugly congratulating myself on buying a car with aircon.

It's too hot for my liking but the great advantage of working in a supermarket is having all those chillers throwing out cold air. We have had a disaster though, all our freezers died on Monday night and we didn't get any of them up and running again til Thursday. Still haven't replaced all the stock that melted.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 23:00 

Gosh, that must have been fun, exile (and by 'fun' I do of course mean 'a total nightmare').

I must admit I'm not massively keen on the heat... it's a lot worse for my sister though. She has ME and struggles awfully with hot weather. The day before yesterday she nearly collapsed with heat exhaustion but fortunately Mum realised and we managed to get her better.

Roll on, autumn, I say!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 20:22 

Glad your sister is okay Abi!
I do like the heat - but not too hot - about the 70's is fine for me. We were in Bradford last Wednesday and everywhere was so humid! Even sat outside the pub was with a drink.
We went to the theatre to see 'Wicked' and though there was air con, it didn't really make much difference. There was a lovely fresh breeze when we came out after ten pm though! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 16:31 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Putting off going to do some cooking - the sausages are called 'Cumberland Kick', and my first reaction was to wonder why I've never heard of this folk dance step. Or is it a whole dance?

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 17:09 

Heehee! They oughter be good sausages with a name like that.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 02:12