Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 06:26

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Statuses, or a Good Game of Snakes & Adders
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 09:02 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

What's ironing? I'm being helpful so I could explain it to abbey if she needs to know.

Frauj - is the house standing on Park Lane? Otherwise I don't want to pay for it. You may give it to me free....you don't want it do you?

See, I'm being helpful again.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 09:20 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Well, at the moment it's standing on a table in the hobbies' room, but I'm sure we could rename the lower corridor Park Lane....

*fetches materials to make a sign*

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 09:48 
Indulging in a midnight feast

My current status is very appropriate - receiving support from the form.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 18:40 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Does Monopoly actually have an "end" (other than me throwing a tantrum and refusing to play any more? Well, I was only 5 and never really did understand the point of the game).

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 19:40 
Presenting your school report

Of course it has an end! Someone wins by getting ALL THE MONEY and make all the other players bankrupt. Usually it is my sister who is the winner. She is uncannily good at Monopoly.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 19:48 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

I've never got to the end of a game of Monopoly. Can we play Cluedo instead? I love Cluedo.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 20:15 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

We always played Monopoly with a time limit and then added up who had the most at that point....properties included of course.

I used to enjoy Cluedo until we all sussed out how to win and then it got boring. I'd rather play Diplomacy....or Mystic Wood.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 20:31 
Giving a Junior an order mark

Well, if I'm really honest I'd rather do a jigsaw, so I'll leave the rest of you to the board games, unless anyone wants to jigsaw with me - I have a sneaking suspicion that this jigsaw could be rather difficult. It's a National Trust one I encountered on holiday once, with an oak-leaf framework and lots of NT properties illustrated in miniature - maybe we'll find Pretty Maids...

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 20:45 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Ooh I think I've got that one too Noreen, let's do it together. (Although I have noticed there are some people one can jigsaw with and others I want to chuck the pieces at. Do you think we will be okay?)

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 23:00 

I wondered if you might, knowing that you like them too :D. Sure to be OK, but what do you object to in fellow jigsawers?

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 07:13 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

cestina wrote:
Ooh I think I've got that one too Noreen, let's do it together. (Although I have noticed there are some people one can jigsaw with and others I want to chuck the pieces at. Do you think we will be okay?)

I don't know as wouldn't rather jigsaw. I always start off ruthlessly good at Monopoly until someone calls me a Filthy Capitalist and then I go all St. Franci of Assissi and give the lot away....

How does one jigsaw annoyingly ? I shall try not to.

Or - we can play with this BLADDY dolls house I've unaccountably won.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 07:47 

Mum used to own a board game called Sorry and we'd play against each other, quite viciously and unapologetically and fast. We used to work up to quite a speed at it as well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 08:01 

A friend and I used to play Ludo (which is not dissimilar, after all) like that, Liz - two colours each, and with some variant rules that allowed more blocking moves.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 08:23 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Annoying jigsawers are those who arrive partway through a puzzle I am doing and take over. They don't cooperate, they bully.

My favourite jigsawer is known to frauj - he loves her biscuits. He is not very familiar with the genre and says things like "This doesn't quite fit - can I just squash it in?" or "This is too big but I could cut a tiny bit off".....

In fact jigsawing is a very interesting personality-detecting tool. There are those who go only by shape, never looking at the picture, those who group by colour, and those who slavishly follow little bits of the picture, not moving on until one section is complete.

And then I have a friend who never does the edges first, as I do, but starts from the centre and works outwards. He is now about 80 and has the biggest collection of jigsaws I have ever seen. The speed at which he and his wife can complete a 2000 piece puzzle in their tiny living room is astonishing.

And to end this discourse (I was asked!) I recommend to anyone who likes either jigsaws or Margaret Drabble her book "The Pattern in the Carpet".. It's a delight and only 1p in paperback. :)

ETA link to Amazon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 09:23 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

cestina wrote:
Annoying jigsawers are those who arrive partway through a puzzle I am doing and take over. They don't cooperate, they bully.

You'll not be doing jigsaws with the Schiefmutter then... She a) criticises and b) takes over or c) sulks if thwarted.

Quote:
In fact jigsawing is a very interesting personality-detecting tool. There are those who go only by shape, never looking at the picture, those who group by colour, and those who slavishly follow little bits of the picture, not moving on until one section is complete.

So following your theory, which personality type goes with which approach ?

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 09:36 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

fraujackson wrote:
cestina wrote:

You'll not be doing jigsaws with the Schiefmutter then... She a) criticises and b) takes over or c) sulks if thwarted.

Quote:

So following your theory, which personality type goes with which approach ?

I couldn't possibly comment! Who knows who I might insult? I have no inside info on preferred jigsawing methods of Board members :D

(Er - should that second who be whom perhaps?)

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 09:43 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

cestina wrote:
I couldn't possibly comment! Who knows who I might insult? I have no inside info on preferred jigsawing methods of Board members :D

(Er - should that second who be whom perhaps?)

Technically it should be whom, yes, accusative case as the recipient of the insult!

We always sort out the edge pieces first, and get that done, then try and build in from there. Don't normally allow 'sub-assembly' - it has to join a piece already down rather than being its own little island unattached to the main body of completed pieces.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 10:00 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

One friend only does sub-assemblys. Drives me mad. (Good name for it though). I too do the whole of the outside but then usually work on the lower half of the picture if the top involves sky and leave that till last. Same applies to any large patch of whatever colour, it gets left to the end and then I sort into shapes and work from that.

I am fascinated by the fact that one can hunt for a particular piece for hours at night, decided it's gone missing, and immediately find it on return in the morning. I have come to the conclusion that there are jigsaw elves in the universe....

ETA I am doing Wind in the Willows at the moment with Peter Pan (the proper illustrations) and Rupert annual covers to come :D

Have just finished a fiendishly difficult painting by Maurice Prendergast.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 10:36 

I can't do jigsaws at all since I've been ill... they are too stressful. This makes me a bit sad.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 11:06 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Abi wrote:
I can't do jigsaws at all since I've been ill... they are too stressful. This makes me a bit sad.

Interesting: the jigsaw scale is also one of my measures of how it's going. If I'm not too bad*, a jigsaw helps me to focus and can calm me, if I'm not very well really*, I can't concentrate for long enough and they make me stressed.

* good Fenland terms for degrees of illness. (Really not very well = seriously poorly, Not very well at all = practically, if not in fact actually, dead.)

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 06:26