Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 15:49

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask the Chaletian
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 01:02 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Well, certain people in my head think Margia is entirely sensible. I'm not sure I'd agree, but I can see her point.

Dear Chaletian,

I have had perforce to move to Austria for my health, but have been delighted to have been offered work teaching music in a school in the vicinity of my hotel. Work is my life and my raison d'être - indeed, my sister would have you believe that I do little besides work - and yet I feel I have not enough to do, for the headmistress of my school does not wish me to teach above two afternoons a week. I frequently come to her with suggestions for more musical activities for the little maids in her charge - perfectly sensible suggestions, such as madrigal singing, or eurythmics - and yet I receive very little enthusiasm in return. I would quite happily perform these activities for no money at all, for is not music the most important aspect of education? And yet I feel slighted and ignored, despite my best efforts.

Have you any suggestions as to how I may induce some greater interest in my work?

Yours,
TD

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 09:00 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Dear TD,

Teenagers tend not to be very interested in classical music. Trying jazzing your lessons up with ... well, a bit of jazz. Failing that, take them on a trip out to a concert? You're in Austria, after all. How about the Salzburg Festival? In fact, tell the pupils that you'll form a choir from the best of them and enter them into the festival. That should wake them up all right.

Good luck,

The Chaletian

Dear Chaletian,

I love sports and want to become a PT mistress, but my father insists that I study music. I don't really care about pleasing him because he and my stepmother don't treat me very well, but if I don't do as he says then he'll cut me off financially and I'll have to support myself (well, with some money that I inherited from my mother), which I don't really fancy doing. I've tried talking him round but he won't listen. What should I do?

Yours anxiously,

GC

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 20:55 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Alison H wrote:
Dear Chaletian,

I love sports and want to become a PT mistress, but my father insists that I study music. I don't really care about pleasing him because he and my stepmother don't treat me very well, but if I don't do as he says then he'll cut me off financially and I'll have to support myself (well, with some money that I inherited from my mother), which I don't really fancy doing. I've tried talking him round but he won't listen. What should I do?

Yours anxiously,

GC

Dear GC
I don't wish to be rude but you are beginning to sound like a spineless jellyfish. Many girls your age are out at work twelve or fourteen hours a day supporting themselves and their families to boot. Pull yourself together and try to find ways and means of achieving your ambition. If it's really what you are meant to do in life I'm sure you'll find a way. If you end up doing something else entirely, like, oh here's a silly example, running away to the other side of the world and working in a shop, then you didn't really want to be a PT teacher did you? Get on with it.
The Major

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:28 
Learning to play Lacrosse

RubyGates wrote:
Dear Chaletian
There is a gorgeous new singing teacher at my school and I have a huge crush on him. Of course I could never tell him but I can't ask any of the other girls if they feel the same way because a really bossy older girl, who is also the Head's sister said he looked weird and freaky. She always assumes everyone feels the same way she does about everything and no-one likes to challenge her on it. Anyway, do you think I should just keep quiet about my crush?
MS

Dear MS,

Crushes are for silly teenagers - not sensible ones like us - and they almost invariably belong in the twenty-first century. As this is NOT the twenty-first century, SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Yours sympathetically,

J

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 10:57 

Someone the Younger wrote:
RubyGates wrote:
Dear Chaletian
There is a gorgeous new singing teacher at my school and I have a huge crush on him. Of course I could never tell him but I can't ask any of the other girls if they feel the same way because a really bossy older girl, who is also the Head's sister said he looked weird and freaky. She always assumes everyone feels the same way she does about everything and no-one likes to challenge her on it. Anyway, do you think I should just keep quiet about my crush?
MS

Dear MS,

Crushes are for silly teenagers - not sensible ones like us - and they almost invariably belong in the twenty-first century. As this is NOT the twenty-first century, SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Yours sympathetically,

J

:lol: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 23:02 

Yay, I got a :lol: :lol: !

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 11:26 

Dear Chaletian,

We have paid vast sums of money for our daughter to attend a prestigious private boarding school. This has entailed considerable sacrifices on our part, but we were willing to make these in order to give our daughter what we thought would be a good start in life. We were expecting her to do well in her exams, go on to university and get a good job. However, she has just informed us that the school authorities have decided that no pupils will be sitting public exams this year, and that they will be holding a flower show - a flower show!!! - instead. What do you suggest we do?

Yours angrily,

Mr and Mrs X

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 17:59 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Dear Mr and Mrs X,

Do not be alarmed, it is almost certain that your daughter will meet a Doctor and will have no need of public exams or university as she will be creating a home for him and their many children. The flower show will provide excellent experience in how to decorata the family home.

Yours,

The Chaletian.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 22:02 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Dear Chaletian

I don't want to go to University like my big sisters. I want to be a ballet dancer but I only have a lesson once a week and don't get enough time to practise. I want to go to a proper ballet school, but my parents won't let me. What can I do to persuade them?

FM

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014, 09:52 

Dear FM,

Does your mother loves to boast? If so, convince her that you will become the best ballerina in the world, and she might give in.

Good luck!

The Chaletian

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Dear Chaletian,

My mother's favourite colour is lime-green. If she wears that big hat trimmed with lime-green yet again to the Sale I shall be so embarrassed. What can I do to persuade her to wear something different for a change?

FM

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 10:14 
Lost!
Lost!

Dear FM,

Your mother doesn't sound very easy to dissaude so I suggest sabotage. Dye the hat a more suitable colour or destroy it (do you perhaps have a naughty pet that could be blamed?). Good luck

The Chaletain

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 15:41 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Dear Chaletian

I have had a lovely summer hat, I used to change the trimmings and wear it every year to the Sale, but sadly my big boisterous St Bernard got hold of it yesterday and it's utterly ruined. I was so fond of it! The Sale is in a few days' time and I shan't be able to replace it in time. Any advice - I can only think of something a bit special in the way of hair ornament, but my daughters were all horrified at the idea!

JM

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 15:55 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Dear JM,

Though it is a shame about your hat, these things will happen, especially when pets are left to their own devices. But instead of replacing the hat, why not give them all a surprise by turning up with a brand new hairdo? If you have long hair, you could crop it; if it's already short, why not dye it a different colour? Or you could go the whole hog and do both! Is there any colour that holds a special significance for you? One way or another, you're bound to create a sensation.

Do be sure to send us the photos.

The Chaletian

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 16:04 
Presenting your school report

:D :D :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 16:24 
Lost!
Lost!

Dear Chaletaine,

Well that backfired spectacularly. Mamma turned up at the sale with a lime green mohawk. I'm not sure I trust you any more but could you please suggest countries I can move to? Must be quickly and cheaply reachable from Switzerland.

FM

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 17:44 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Is this the new Joey? :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 12:16 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

exile wrote:
Dear Chaletaine,

Well that backfired spectacularly. Mamma turned up at the sale with a lime green mohawk. I'm not sure I trust you any more but could you please suggest countries I can move to? Must be quickly and cheaply reachable from Switzerland.

FM

Dear FM,

Since the Chalet School still has a branch in UK, perhaps you could persuade your parents to let you transfer there. Most of the girls there won't know you, and your mother is unlikely to visit. You'll have the advantage of being much nearer to your twin brother -and the older boys -so may be able to see them sometimes

The Chaletian

Dear Chaletian,

My brothers and I are at school in England, but my parents live in Switzerland. My sisters are at a school next to to our home, so they see my mother very frequently. Should I be jealous that she and Papa never visit us, or glad that she doesn't embarrass us by attending school functions wearing lime-green outfits, which my twin sister tells me she often does?

FM

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 13:07 
Lost!
Lost!

Dear FM,

Be very greatful

The Chaletain

ps does your school take girls?

Dear Chaletain,

I think my children are growing away from me. My oldest daughters haven't ever come home to Switzerland after going away to University in England and now my next daughter is mutterring about going to school further from home. I don't know why, she already goes to the Best School n the World.

Please reassure me or offer tactics to win them back

sincerely JM

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 13:58 

Dear JM,
Get your hair cut and change your milliner. Or just let them go....
Yours truthfully
The Chaletian

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 15:49