Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 23:22

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask the Chaletian
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 13:40 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Dear Chaletian,

I am one of a large family. Unfortunately, we don't get to spend much time together as we older girls are at boarding school in one country, the older boys are at boarding school in another country, the little ones are still at home, our papa dad works long hours and our mamma mum is always busy interfering in other people's business writing books. I was really looking forward to the family holiday we'd got planned, but now Mamma my mother's invited a complete stranger (the niece of a friend of a friend, if you can follow that) to come with us. Now everything's going to be awkward. When I said that I wasn't happy about it, she said that I was being selfish. I didn't mean to be selfish: I was just looking forward to some rare family bonding time. What can I do? M

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 22:07 
Taking your duties seriously

Dear Chaletian

I am the 12th child in a large family. Sometimes I feel no-one ever notices me - months can go by and I never get a mention. Do you think this is because I am adopted, or do they all just forget about me because I am the youngest?

M-C de M

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 13:40 
ivohenry wrote:
Dear Chaletian

I am the 12th child in a large family. Sometimes I feel no-one ever notices me - months can go by and I never get a mention. Do you think this is because I am adopted, or do they all just forget about me because I am the youngest?

M-C de M

No, it's because you're adopted and the author forgot about you. This teachs you a hard lesson about life, so that's all to the good.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 14:36 

ivohenry wrote:
Dear Chaletian

M-C de M

Dear M-C,

I know just how you feel. I used to live with my uncle and aunt, except sometimes when I was farmed out to my aunt (by marriage)'s sister, and although everyone always remembered my older sister they forgot about me for years on end. Mind you, my aunt and her sister forgot all about their own aunts as well, so maybe some people just have trouble with their memories.

Hang on in there - eventually you might get to marry a nice solicitor and live happily ever after!

PM

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 21:48 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Dear Chaletian,

Woof! Woof woof, woof! Woof woof woof? Grrrruf woof woof woof woof woof woof bow wow.

Regards,
Rufus

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 22:36 

Nightwing wrote:
Dear Chaletian,

Woof! Woof woof, woof! Woof woof woof? Grrrruf woof woof woof woof woof woof bow wow.

Regards,
Rufus

Dear Rufus,

Miaow, miaow, miaow, grrrr, grrrr, spit, hisssss, hisss,hissss,

M & M

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 20:12 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Dear Chaletian,

Pater and Mater have insisted I come here to this school for girls and I know I am going to hate it. After all, girls aren't gentlemen, so I won't be able to trust anything they say, and they'll probably giggle all the time. What should I do?

T.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 22:43 

Joanne wrote:
Dear Chaletian,

Pater and Mater have insisted I come here to this school for girls and I know I am going to hate it. After all, girls aren't gentlemen, so I won't be able to trust anything they say, and they'll probably giggle all the time. What should I do?

T.

Dear T,

It sounds to me as if you have some serious issues with your self-image. Presumably you are in fact a girl, and it's very worrying that you seem to have such a poor opinion of your own gender. Hopefully you'll find that most of the girls at the school are in fact jolly good types, what ho, and that not too much giggling goes on. However, if you do find it difficult to settle in, just remember that you'll probably get to have most of the carpentry gear at the Hobbies Club all to yourself.

Chin up, old chap!

The Chaletian

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 22:59 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Dear Chaletian,

In 1925 I was 12, but in 1939 I was 21. When was I born? J

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 23:03 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Minim wrote:
Dear Chaletian,

Dear J,

Do you really think this is important? Honestly, there are so many bigger issues in life, like making sure you are a good Chalet School girl. Just don't worry about it.

Yours, EBD

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 23:12 

Minim wrote:
Dear Chaletian,

Dear J,

Don't you realise you are not real? In a work of fiction, age does not matter and the characters are however old the author wants them to be to fit a particular storyline. (Though it is equally likely the author just forgot how old you are each time she wrote a new book!)

Chaletian

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 19:46 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Dear Chaletian,

I was really starting to enjoy life at my new school, but now a girl from home has turned up and I really don't like her any more. She always insults everyone and talks about boys all the time. I want to stay away from her but the Head asked me to look after her. What should I do?

R.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 19:53 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Dear R,
How very difficult for you. If you look around I think you will almost certainly find someone in your year who regards it as her duty to take care of everyone and sort out their problems. Find her and explain the situation and I am sure you will find that she will take the problem girl off your hands
Good luck
The Chaletian

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 20:51 
Saying you only know three German words

Minim wrote:
Dear Chaletian,

Editor's Note:
This should have been published in our new section, "Logic Puzzles", on page 28. You will find this and many more puzzles there to test your brains!

Answers on page 31.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 22:50 

Dear Chaletian,

The Head Girl of my school has had to leave because of problems at home, and my sister, who's the ex joint sort-of headmistress, says that it's my duty to take over. I don't want to be a Head Girl. It's too much like hard work. Anyway, I don't think I'm suited to the job: I'm always playing practical jokes on people, I get annoyed with people too easily and I'm not very responsible. What should I do? J

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 01:19 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Alison H wrote:
Dear Chaletian,

The Head Girl of my school has had to leave because of problems at home, and my sister, who's the ex joint sort-of headmistress, says that it's my duty to take over. I don't want to be a Head Girl. It's too much like hard work. Anyway, I don't think I'm suited to the job: I'm always playing practical jokes on people, I get annoyed with people too easily and I'm not very responsible. What should I do? J

Dear J,
Have you made your feelings perfectly clear to your sister? It sounds as though you're not really cut out for the position - perhaps her sisterly love is clouding her eyes to your true nature! You could always try to suggest a better candidate to her. Otherwise, keep doing what you do and she's sure to see that you're unsuitable! If that still doesn't work, perhaps bullying an invalid or meddling in other people's relationships will do the trick!

Bonne chance!
The Chaletian

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 14:34 

Dear Chaletian
I live in Guernsey as do my two older sisters and I'm afraid I'm going to fall out rather seriously with the younger of the two. Her husband is a doctor who has had some money problems but my sister is turning into a spineless jellyfish who won't actually do anything to help the family. She just prefers to moan about all the housework and how badly off they are. They're not that badly off really as they still have a large house, a servant and still send their children to private schools yet there is more they could do. I think my sister could sell their large house so there isn't so much work to do and move to somewhere where her husband could build up a busy, successful practice. She could even start doing the football pools but I don't quite know how to bring the subject up without causing an argument. Any suggestions? Yours hopefully
JL

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 15:50 

RubyGates wrote:
Dear Chaletian
I live in Guernsey as do my two older sisters and I'm afraid I'm going to fall out rather seriously with the younger of the two. Her husband is a doctor who has had some money problems but my sister is turning into a spineless jellyfish who won't actually do anything to help the family. She just prefers to moan about all the housework and how badly off they are. They're not that badly off really as they still have a large house, a servant and still send their children to private schools yet there is more they could do. I think my sister could sell their large house so there isn't so much work to do and move to somewhere where her husband could build up a busy, successful practice. She could even start doing the football pools but I don't quite know how to bring the subject up without causing an argument. Any suggestions? Yours hopefully
JL

Dear JL,
Suggest Anne your sister should set up a roadside stall and sell apples - she could at least raise pocket-money for the children that way (tell her about the old apple-woman in Tirol!)

JM

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011, 21:48 

Dear Chaletian

My tooth really, really hurts, but I'm terrified of dentists. How can I stop Matey finding out about my tooth?

J

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011, 21:56 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

whitequeen wrote:
Dear Chaletian

My tooth really, really hurts, but I'm terrified of dentists. How can I stop Matey finding out about my tooth?

J

J,

Just make sure she gets busy. Then she won't bother about such a thing as teeth, because she'll be too busy doing a lot of knitting. Alternatively, there are a lot of doctors around, so see if you can match her up with one.

Chaletian.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. English Tea at Freudesheim
It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 23:22