Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 03:29

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Alternate Chalet School Universe
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 21:25 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

I was rereading the beginning of Problem with the discussion between Mrs Gay and Rosamund's mother. This set me thinking:

Quote:
"But why did you choose me?"

"Because the Rector and I thought you were the girl who would profit most," Mrs. Gay told her briskly. "No use sending a shy mouse like Marlene Dixon or a girl like your young next-door neighbour or that other child she's so chummy with—what's her name?—Kathleen Stevens, isn't it? It lay between you and Pamela Johnson and the Johnsons are leaving here in a month's time. Mr. Johnson has got a move up," she went on, turning to Mrs. Lilley. "He's going to the head factory at Coventry. In any case, Mrs. Johnson tells me Pamela wants to go to a business college for shorthand and typing when she's fifteen and then get a job as soon as she's qualified. So four more years of school. held no prospect for her."

My feeling from this is that actually Pamela Johnson was the Gay's first choice for the scholarship (why discuss it with her mother if you didn't mean to give it to her?).

It set me thinking about other plot devices that could have gone another way and dramatically changed what happened - if, for instance, Robin and the others had been caught by the crowd after Herr Goldman, would the rest of the school have been allowed to escape? What if other girls had found out the truth about Gertrud(e)? What if Peggy and Dickie had been injured by the falling tree? What if Tom had refused all scholarships and didn't go on to Switzerland?

What other ways might the series have been different?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Alternate Chalet School Universe
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 21:33 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

I've always wondered what the later books would be like if Joey had had a singleton first rather than triplets...

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 22:19 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'd like to have seen Madge and Jem go out to Switzerland along with everyone else: I think the series loses something when the founder of the CS and the founder of the San are left on the sidelines, and also I don't think Joey would have become as overbearing as I find her in the later books had Madge been around to get involved in school matters as well.

Joey could easily have died in Rivals, and Jack in Highland Twins.

If EBD had waited just a bit longer, the school could have gone back to Tyrol instead of to the Oberland ... but I'm glad she didn't because it leaves the Tyrolean years as a lovely golden era. I think she could've chosen somewhere more CS-esque than Herefordshire for the war period, though: she could've carried on with the sudden falls of mist, falling in lakes, getting stranded on mountains etc by restarting the school in the Lake District or the Scottish Highlands. Not that there's anything wrong with Herefordshire :D : there's just not that much scope for accidents and adventures.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 22:51 
Mine are all very apocalyptic!

Joey dying in Rivals is the obvious one, I suppose - and Madge broken-heartedly closing down the CS as a result? Or leaving it entirely to Mademoiselle and having nothing more to do with it?

St Scholastika's unexpectedly flourishing because of Miss Browne's hard sell advertising, and creaming off all the UK pupils who would otherwise have attended the CS, meaning the CS quickly starts being essentially for non-UK girls only as a result, and all the British girls who join the CS in the 'real' timeline after Rivals end up as Saints instead?

Eustacia escapes the flood, manages to get to England, writes to the Times about her ill-treatment at the CS, it gets massive press publicity, an investigation is mounted, and the school is briefly notorious as a sort of Dotheboys Hall (Dothegirls Hall)? :) Eustacia lives happily ever afterwards in Oxford, rubbing her hands in glee.

Joey, bored at the prospect of life on the Sonnalpe, does go to Belsornia as Elisaveta's lady in waiting and marries a Belsornian cavalry officer, and Jack marries Grizel instead. They have four sons, all singletons, who never appear in any CS books.

The CS authorities decide that, after they leave Austria and realise there is no realistic prospect of returning any time soon, the school needs to be renamed, as having a chalet reference in Guernsey, Armishire and off the coast of Wales sounds a bit holiday-campish...? The new name is St Margaret's in honour of the foundress.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 23:42 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

What if they didn't leave Tirol at all, and outwardly conformed to whatever the Nazis wanted them to teach, while mounting some kind of covert resistance... and I suppose, hiding the "undesirable" people in the basement!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 00:06 
Miss Annersley picks up the cannister dropped from a German plane in order to receive her next instructions from the 'enemy'?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 13:57 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Interesting topic, KB!

I think there are only a few plot points that could be changed which would massively change the way the series goes, probably involving Madge or Joey. And I think they'd have to happen near the beginning for it to have any impact.

What if all the teachers who were in the bus crash in Gay died, or were too ill to return to work for months, and Miss Bubb was able to do what she liked? I'd have loved to see what EBD would have done if Jack had died, and Joey was left as a widow with three (or would it still have been four?) children. Would Robin have become a nun in that situation, I wonder?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 17:29 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Madge marries Mr Kettleworth and goes back to UK, leaving Mdle and then Jo to run the school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 17:45 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

What if Miss Bubb was seriously nice - still as keen on exams and academic work, but really nice and understanding with it? I am vaguely plotting a drabble to this effect.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 17:55 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Mrs Redboots wrote:
What if Miss Bubb was seriously nice - still as keen on exams and academic work, but really nice and understanding with it? I am vaguely plotting a drabble to this effect.

Oh that's a lovely idea - to the extent maybe that the exam results soar into the stratosphere and there is no space for Hilda and Nell to return :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 18:49 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

cestina wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:

Oh that's a lovely idea - to the extent maybe that the exam results soar into the stratosphere and there is no space for Hilda and Nell to return :shock:

Noooooo! :shock: You can't do that.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 18:59 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

MaryR wrote:
cestina wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:

I was waiting for that :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:06 
Learning to stand on your own two feet
Learning to stand on your own two feet

I'd quite like it if all the people who reckoned they weren't going to get married actually stayed single. What would a single, independent, Joey (for example) get up to ?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:25 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

If they had kept the kindergarten co-ed-ness going all the way up the school.....I often wonder what happened to proud little Edmund Eltringham...

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:41 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

How about a boys' branch of the Chalet School?

Also, what if the 3rd triplet had been a boy - Stephen? He had been the delicate one and sent to Canada. After Joey promised him he wouldn't be sent so far away again, he would have been sent to school in England after moving to Switzerland.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:41 
Or if Joey only ever had boys, and kept trying to have girls, without success?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 20:41 
Still bored
Still bored

julieanne1811 wrote:
Or if Joey only ever had boys, and kept trying to have girls, without success?

Someone did a drabble with this theme, can't remember who, or what was called, but it's in the archives somewhere

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 21:06 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

MaryR wrote:
cestina wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:

It's not a problem - can see Hilda and Nell being very successful setting up their own School... :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 21:15 
Lesley wrote:
It's not a problem - can see Hilda and Nell being very successful setting up their own School... :wink:

It's just that when they do it very successfully half a mile down the road from Plas Howell that we get Rivals of the CS II! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 21:40 

I wish Phil Craven had stayed on. I think the Swiss CS would've benefited from a good nemesis character :wink: - someone along the lines of Lois Sangster in the Kingscote books, who was popular with the juniors in her own way and held an important prefectship, but was at odds with the heroine (i.e. Mary-Lou).

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 03:29