Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 03:47

Post subject: In Oberaudorf
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 19:04 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

I'm currently in Oberaudorf, not a million miles away from Pertisau. I'm hoping to make a visit whilst I'm here, although at the moment I'm more taken up with trying to get my head around taking on the ownership of a small flat and all it entails.

My living conditions are spartan to say the least. As I look around the living room, there's an airbed in one corner, a balcony type table in another with 2 folding chairs and a clothes drier that's become my temporary wardrobe. That's it!

There's a very large hole in the wall that divides bathroom from kitchen and the bathroom door is leaning against the passage wall. I'm hoping the structural alterations won't take too much longer to finish.

On the plus side, I look out of the windows and there are mountains in every direction. This is what I see when I look out of the kitchen window for example.

Anyway, this is just to say if anyone is going to be in the area and would like to meet up, let me know. I'll be here for some time!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: In Oberaudorf
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 20:12 
Sharing a joke with the doctor
Sharing a joke with the doctor

That is one fabulous view, Annied! Good luck with the settling in process - which looks like it might take some time. :twisted:

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 20:28 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Oh that looks fantastic Annied! The view I mean - as long as you have that to look out on maybe you can ignore what's going on around you.

I too hope it all goes smoothly and quickly.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 09:57 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

What a wonderful view!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 22:58 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Thanks for the good wishes.

It was a glorious day today so this afternoon I decided to walk to Kiefersfelden, the next village south. I mistakenly thought that it was considerably bigger than Oberaudorf. I got into the village and there was nothing there, so I asked a waitress in one of the cafes where the village centre was. She gave me a funny look and said, "Well it's all around here. That's the main road through the village just over there". I tried again and said " Is there anywhere where there are several shops all together?" She directed me further down the road where I found a small supermarket and a German version of "Superdrug" side by side. That was it!

The walk itself was lovely, there are stunning mountain views all the way there and all the way back. The Zwetschen (damson) torte with whipped cream that I needed to give me the strength for the return journey wasn't bad either!

In the meantime, back at the flat I have the living room divided into zones as the bedroom is still a work in progress.

This is the sleeping area.

And this is the kitchen area.

My fridge is a shady outside windowsill and my wardrobe is a drying rack!

Anyone visiting the area will get a warm welcome despite the limited facilities!

By the way, one of my neighbours was intrigued when I told her about the Chalet School books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2014, 21:42 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

How exciting! I hope you're still enjoying it :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2014, 22:53 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Thank you! Things have changed a lot since my last post. I was here for 7 weeks in all, finally getting back to the UK at the beginning of November. By the time I left the structural alterations were almost complete although I still had no kitchen sink or bathroom door. I had however put together more flat packs than I care to remember - I never want to see another as long as I live - and living room, bedroom, and hall were more or less complete. (If you want to lose a few pounds without dieting, I can definitely recommend furnishing a flat entirely with flat pack furniture!) The kitchen was also well on its way. I left a few bemused workmen behind me. I'm very slightly built, and I don't think they could believe what they were seeing as cupboards and even a sofa bed suddenly appeared before their eyes.

I'm lucky enough to have been befriended by one of my neighbours who offered to organise the workmen on my behalf when I went back to the UK. When I got back here on 28th December with a friend, the kitchen sink was in place and I finally had a bathroom door. If Ikea would just deliver the table that's been on order since September the furnishing would be complete.

New Year here was absolutely spectacular. Fireworks in every direction for nearly half an hour. We went out onto the balcony and had a 180 degree view.

I still haven't managed to get to Pertisau, last time I was too busy working in the flat, this time, although there's no snow, it's cold enough not to want to be outside for too long at any one time and we're only here for 10 days anyway. All being well, I'll be back for longer in the Spring though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 06:02 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

It sounds like it's being an amazing experience. I wonder what the locals at Pertisau make of all the CS tourists.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 08:47 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

I'm well known amongst my friends for always "needing a project", but this has certainly been a lot bigger than most that I take on! I'm lucky that I have 2 very longstanding German friends about an hour's drive away and that my neighbour Elli has been unbelievably helpful despite barely knowing me. Without the 3 of them things wouldn't have come nearly as far.

I'm very curious too about how well known the Chalet School is to the locals at Pertisau and what they make of it all.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 09:04 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'd be interested to know that. I'm not sure if the books have ever been translated into German, but they must get tourists wandering around talking about the CS.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 09:16 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I remember that I once stayed at the youth hostel at Eben, and the man who owned it told me that he thought that there had been a British film set at Pertisau, because of all the British tourists that visited to take photos, and had I heard of it? I didn't enlighten him as to what they were really doing. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 10:04 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

It really isn't as big as we all (would like to) think. Any fans of the CS are massively outweighed by skiers in winter and hikers in summer. I suspect it is probably only a dozen people a year (at the most) who go there because of the Chalet School.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 13:15 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

When I do eventually get there, it'll be with the friend who's currently with me as she's also a Chalet School fan. We both speak enough broken German that if we can get into conversation with anyone there we can maybe find out what they think.

Way back when I first visited Germany in the 1960s and stayed with my penfriend, her Mum organised a lift down to Munich for us so I could see something of the city. I'd grown out of the Chalet School books by then and hadn't yet got to the age where I didn't care if anyone saw me re-reading them, but I discovered Innsbruck wasn't that far away from Munich. All the places mentioned in the books were still so strongly etched in my mind that I talked my penfriend into hitching from Munich to Innsbruck and staying overnight. I'll never forget the massive impact Innsbruck had on me that first time.

Renate's mother was absolutely horrified when she found out what we'd done. (In retrospect I don't blame her either!) Renate was much more law-abiding than me - my mother never found out as I simply "forgot" to mention it to her! I also "forgot" to mention that we got locked out of the Youth Hostel at Munich on one of the 2 nights we were there and ended up spending the night on a park bench! (We'd been no more than about 2 or 3 minutes past the 10.30pm curfew but got called prostitutes by the warden when we went back to collect our things next morning!)

A few years later, when I was spending time in Germany with an American friend, we did a detour in order to visit Interlaken, again, purely because of the Chalet School books on my part.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 14:43 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I was in Pertisau a few years ago and my impression is that very few people know about EBD.....

I chatted to one or two locals near the plaque and they vaguely knew about "an English author". The lady running the pension I stayed in had no idea about her at all. She referred me to the library, but it was closed whilst I was there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 11:07 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Where's the plaque and what does it say? I may have to re-read the early books before I do eventually get there, hopefully when I'm here in the Spring. I'm not sure I'll be able to identify places very easily. I could do with a "Chalet School Trail" map with the school, Kron Prinz Karl and Dripping Rock etc. well marked!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 13:18 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

The plaque is in the entrance to the library, which is now situated just off the Tourist Information Office. They are, or were when the moved the plaque there in 2005, very proud of the fact that they have some of EBD's books in the library, and seemed amazed that I had actually read all of them. When I checked last week, there were still about ten Armada PBs from the Tirol years, including a few duplicates. At least it's enough to satisfy somebody's curiosity. The words on the plaque are
Quote:
Zum Gedenken an die berühmte englische Schriftstellerin Elinor M. Brent-Dyer 1894-1969 Pertisau inspirierte Sie zu Ihren Erzahlungen der CHALET SCHOOL

The Kron Prinz Karl is the Fürstenhaus - the big hotel by the boat landing. The school site is thought to be the now very sad and sorry looking Alpenhof, a large yellow building surrounded by trees and set back from the lake on the way back to Seespitz.

The dripping rock is half way along the path between Pertisau and Gaisalm, but the path is closed during the winter months.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 10:20 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

That is fascinating; thanks for all the tidbits of info. Maybe we as the collective board should donate any of our unwanted copies to the library at Pertisau.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 10:42 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Fiona Mc wrote:
That is fascinating; thanks for all the tidbits of info. Maybe we as the collective board should donate any of our unwanted copies to the library at Pertisau.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I have 2 paperbacks that I advertised on the Sales Board here some time ago and that no one seems to need. I'll happily bring them over with me in the Spring and donate them.

Thanks too for the info about what's where in Pertisau, it wouldn't be the same trying to guess!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 15:02 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Annied wrote:

Thanks too for the info about what's where in Pertisau, it wouldn't be the same trying to guess!

I went armed with a copy of Sally Dore's handbook but I'm afraid my copy is probably in storage at the moment. If I can lay my hands on it you are very welcome to borrow it....

There is also a website set up by someone on here (is it Beecharmer?) which is very useful....can't track it down at the moment but someone will know :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 15:21 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Details on Pertisau are in this thread and no, it isn't Beecharmer, but Nell H who set up the website, which is mentioned within the thread I've linked. :)

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 03:47