Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 13:56

Post subject: Re: In Oberaudorf
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 15:57 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

abbeybufo wrote:
Details on Pertisau are in this thread and no, it isn't Beecharmer, but Nell H who set up the website, which is mentioned within the thread I've linked. :)

Ah yes, I remember now - sorry both, senior moment :?

Thanks for finding it abbey....

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 19:25 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'll be studying that thread very closely before my first trip and making copious notes!

Cestina, thank you so much for offering to lend me your copy. I've just had a quick look around online and can't see any copies available to buy. It looks like it's quite hard to come by and I think I'd be a little apprehensive about borrowing one. If I mislaid it somewhere between Whitley Bay and Oberaudorf and couldn't return it, I'd be mortified. But I do appreciate the offer. I'll keep checking online as it would be nice to have a permanent copy at the flat here.

(If anyone's likely to be in the area between late March and early May when I'll be here again, please let me know and perhaps we can arrange to meet up.)

Last edited by Annied on 04 Jan 2014, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 22:14 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Well I don't see myself needing it any more so if I come across it I'll let you know - the problem is that the majority of our books are in storage and although my CS books aren't, I think some of the other CS stuff is.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014, 01:04 
Putting up a good show
Putting up a good show

Annied, it might be worth your while to contact Sally Dore herself and see if she still has any copies of the handbook. If you Google Topsy-Turvy Books, you'll get her e-mail address.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014, 11:17 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

cestina wrote:
Well I don't see myself needing it any more so if I come across it I'll let you know - the problem is that the majority of our books are in storage and although my CS books aren't, I think some of the other CS stuff is.

Thank you. I could maybe scan any important bits and get it back to you quickly, which would make me feel more comfortable. In your place I don't think I'd want to part with the copy for good, even if I wasn't going to use it again, especially when it's out of print and not easy to come by, but then that's why I'm continually running out of book shelves!

Quote:
Annied, it might be worth your while to contact Sally Dore herself and see if she still has any copies of the handbook. If you Google Topsy-Turvy Books, you'll get her e-mail address.

That's definitely a thought, thanks.

As a by the by, when I was googling the handbook, I came across a very entertaining account of a 2006 trip to Pertisau by Katherine_b who was clearly a member here. Does she still drop by does anyone know? It's HERE if anyone hasn't read it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014, 20:52 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Annied wrote:
As a by the by, when I was googling the handbook, I came across a very entertaining account of a 2006 trip to Pertisau by Katherine_b who was clearly a member here. Does she still drop by does anyone know? It's HERE if anyone hasn't read it.

Never heard of her. :dontknow: :wink: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014, 21:57 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

KB wrote:
:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014, 22:12 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

KB wrote:

Hello! I loved the account of your trip, although I hope when I get there eventually my own will be a bit less eventful. I've had enough eventful moments buying a flat here and then being stupid enough to be "in residence" whilst the structural alterations were being done!

Have you been back to Pertisau since then?

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014, 23:57 

Annied wrote:
Hello! I loved the account of your trip, although I hope when I get there eventually my own will be a bit less eventful. I've had enough eventful moments buying a flat here and then being stupid enough to be "in residence" whilst the structural alterations were being done!

Have you been back to Pertisau since then?

Lovely to meet you! I do tend to attract events a bit, but it makes for fun reading.

I did go back, just last December, and wrote about it. The links (with many photos) are here:

Munich

Arrival in Pertisau

the food

Innsbruck, including bits from Mueller Twins

lots of walking

Hall in Tirol and Rattenberg

Christmas cruise on the Achensee

the living crib at Achenkirche

More Innsbruck. Also Garmisch Parten-Kirchen and the 'Sonnalpe' as well as Eben and more Achenkirche

Mayrhofen

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 00:51 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

My goodness you don't hang about when you're in Europe do you?! I was exhausted just reading about all your excursions, I'd have been in a darkened room for a week after that little lot!

When you travelled from Salzburg to Jenbach, you'd have passed through "my" little village, Oberaudorf, which is on the rail line to Innsbruck although only the local train between Rosenheim and Kufstein stops here. I came this time expecting to find lots of snow like your pics, but in fact there's none here at all except on the ski slope where the snow cannons are having to work overtime. (The friend who's been with me was so convinced that we'd be walking on snow covered pavements all the time that she only brought snow boots with her and we've been sharing my 2 pairs of shoes all week.)

Congratulations on the PhD too! (Yes, I carried on reading.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 03:08 

I think, because it's so far to come, I like to get my money's worth. *g*

I can certainly understand your disappointment at not having snow! I occasionally look at the webcams in Pertisau and saw that there was no snow this year from about mid-December, making me very glad I went last year and not this!

And thank you! I'm doing final corrections now and hope to graduate in the next few months. (Finally!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 22:57 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

I'm fortunate in that although it's not the easiest of journeys from the north of England as there are no direct flights to Munich from Newcastle, it's nothing like as far as you come. I don't blame you for trying to pack as much in as you can.

I haven't seen a lot of the area yet as I've been concentrating on getting the flat habitable. There's no incentive like not having a bed and eating meals off the floor because there's no table and nowhere to sit to get your mind focussed! I'm hoping that now most of the work has been done, I'll have more time in the future to explore. I'm certainly picking up a lot of tips here.

I'm going to keep an eye on the winter sports charter flights which go from Newcastle to Salzburg and Innsbruck from Jan - Mar and if a really good deal comes up, I might steal an extra week out here later on, otherwise the plan is to come back for about 6 weeks at the end of March. The plans to hit the shops with a vengeance were thwarted this trip because there were so many public holidays. (Today was 3 Kings.) I think things return to normal tomorrow, but that's the day I'm heading back to the UK.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 02:41 

Having somewhere to sit and a place to sleep is definitely a necessity, particularly after long days of walking and seeing all those wonderful places we have only read about in books. Still, you will have lots of chances to visit everywhere when it's finally done!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 13:56