Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 13:47

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GGBP News 2
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 17:35 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Just a heads up to any of you who may be planning to buy any GGBP books or Book Tokens from them as Christmas presents, or, of course, as treats to yourselves and haven't yet done anything about it!

GGBP will be closing for the holidays on December 17, reopening on January 2. Their final deadline for receiving orders for sending out before they close is noon on December 17, but there is a good possibility that they will be without electricity that day (which of course would affect computer, Internet etc.) Also, Clarissa, in particular, already has a very heavy schedule for the Tuesday. She has just posted a note on the website saying that given both circumstances, it would be really helpful if they could receive all orders no later than 5pm GMTon Monday December 16.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 12:24 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Girls Gone By have just announced they're publishing The Chalet School and Barbara in late April and Mystery. along with a new novella about Robin in late May. Information on the latter is here.

We were talking about Mystery and Rosalie on here the other day but I can't remember where.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 12:33 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

In 'The Chalet School and Rosalie' topic in Lemon Biscuits and Liberty Bodices...

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 13:39 
Climbing with your knees bent

Whereas I am disappointed that the new novella is being published with a book they have already published. I kind of regret paying £11 for Mystery when it first came out, since GGB haven't published Rosalie so I have the PB of Rosalie and Mystery and the GGBP of Mystery alone. Since neither Rosalie nor Mystery were abridged this seems a bit excessive. There is no way I can justify paying £13 for a book I already have two copies of, even though I'm very interested in the novella!

I already have Barbara in HB, and The Feud in the Fifth Remove, which is the non-CS EBD they're publishing, so nothing for me this time. Never mind - that's bound to happen more and more as my collection grows!

Edited to add a comma, and to italicise book titles.

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Last edited by Joey on 21 Jan 2014, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 14:07 

Noreen wrote:
In 'The Chalet School and Rosalie' topic in Lemon Biscuits and Liberty Bodices...

Thank you. I suppose that was obvious really!

Joey, I feel the same as you. I'd like to read the novella but am not sure I can justify £15 when I already have Mystery (which I thought was expensive at £11 when it first came out considering how short it is). It would be nice to have Rosalie to match the others.

The only other Chalet title I want them to publish is Wins the Trick as it's the only one I don't have in hardback or GGB.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 14:43 

There are still a few I want, for the same reason - Island and Peggy, Shocks, Leader and Wins the Trick. Island was apparently uncut in paperback, but I got my copy from a jumble sale when I was nine - it was my very first CS - and it has not only lost its covers, but some of the pages are loose. So it's not even really a reading copy any more. I wouldn't mind a nice copy of Rosalie too, since my copy is rather battered.

I used to be a lot more completist than I am now - which is why I got Mystery when GGB brought it out the first time! I decided not to get the very late books that are uncut, or very nearly so, and which I don't want to read as often anyway. I did get a GGB of Adrienne from someone on the GO list for £5 last week, but I won't pay full price. I am also going to think very hard about whether or not to get the last few non-CS EBDs that GGB haven't published yet. I did get the two dog books and I probably won't re-read them. I have heard that titles like The Susannah Adventure and Beechy of the Harbour School just aren't very good, to say nothing of the infamous geography readers!

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 15:51 

Beechy of the Harbour School is dire and so are the other two titles for the Sunday school market - Leader in Spite of Herself and Nesta Steps Out. I won't be buying those or the geography readers.

I think I've read The Susannah Adventure but I don't remember it at all. The Condor Crags Adventure and Top Secret aren't very good.

It looks like I'm not a completist either. Who knew?

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 15:54 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I'm very pleased about Barbara and have already ordered! I've been looking at HBs and really the prices asked are ridiculous so GGBs is cheap in comparison!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 00:45 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Grrr. Why are they republishing Mystery when there's lots of books that haven't even been done once. And to publish it with a short story... why not publish it again with Rosalie in, like Armada did.

Slightly annoyed, esp as I got Mystery off ebay last year for £50!

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 01:23 

I see on the website the novella is called "Robin heads the call". Shouldn't that be heeds?

I just got a copy of Mystery in GGBP print, so I won't be buying this either. If they are republishing I really wish they'd do full length ones like Highland twins, or Althea or Reunion tor Joey Goes to the Oberland that I missed first time around. I'm not emailing them 'cos I got rather a rude response last time, so O'll just wait patiently.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 18:49 
Lost!
Lost!

Sugar wrote:
Slightly annoyed, esp as I got Mystery off ebay last year for £50!

I felt that way about Summer Term, having paid £40 for it and then having it turn up in the reprints...

I'm happy though as Barbara is one of my favourites and I've never had Mystery but can totally understand why some of you are peeved.

Caty wrote:
If they are republishing I really wish they'd do full length ones like Highland twins, or Althea or Reunion tor Joey Goes to the Oberland that I missed first time around. I'm not emailing them 'cos I got rather a rude response last time, so O'll just wait patiently.

Yes, I agree with you - Reunion is now becoming my "one to find" after I obtained Highland quite recently and I also emailed them asking after Trials but they just said they didn't/weren't planning on it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 17:00 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

'Mystery' is the one I don't have and I'll get 'Barbara' too. Though the cuts are described a 'minor and 'frequent' I felt there was a difference between the library HB I read as a child and the Armada paperback. I could be wrong!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 17:09 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I found that the hb version of Barbara seemed much better than the pb, although nothing major was cut. It's like with the pb versions of the early Tyrol books - some of the descriptions and local colour are missing and, whilst they don't affect the plotlines, they add a lot to the overall flavour of the book.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 13:08 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Looking forward to 'Barbara' as I've only read the Armada version :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 17:48 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

My new issue of FOCS was in today's post, and includes information about GGBP closings until Easter. I know a lot of CBB-ers aren't members of FOCS, so am posting the information here.

FOCS/GGBP will be closed **February 24-March 3, reopening at 9 am on March 3**. They will be closed again from 5:00 pm UK time on Wednesday April 16 to 9 am on Monday April 28. The website will be monitored during the closings in case any problems arise; as always, all orders received on the site, by e-mail or by post will be dealt with as soon as they reopen.

I'll try to remember to post a reminder re Easter closing closer to the time.

** Edited to change the dates of "mid-term" closing at Clarissa's request. If you noted the dates from your FOCS magazine, as I did, please be aware that the dates posted here are now the correct ones. Thanks.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 14:18 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

That novella sounds really interesting and I wish it wasn't being published with Mystery, as I already have a copy of Mystery (the Armada one with Rosalie). There's no way I'm going to buy a book I already have so I can read the novella. :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 19:45 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

I was wondering if they will ever publish a book with all the stories in it that they publish with the re-prints? It doesn't seem fair that those of us who have the books they've published once miss out on various stories and this new novella with 'Mystery' :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 20:03 

emma t wrote:
I was wondering if they will ever publish a book with all the stories in it that they publish with the re-prints? It doesn't seem fair that those of us who have the books they've published once miss out on various stories and this new novella with 'Mystery' :(

That would be a fantastic idea and I'm sure there'd be a market for it. I only have three GGB editions and I'd love the short stories.

Have decided I'm not going to buy Mystery as I bought it last time around.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 20:06 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Just to let you know, the GGBP and FOCS websites have been temporarily shut down since this morning (Wednesday GMT) because of a security breach which has compromised the safety of the site - this is more complicated than a "simple" hacking. The shut-down also affects their e-mail addresses, so if you've tried to e-mail Ann or Clarissa via the sites today, you won't have had any reply.

I just spoke to Ann, and she tells me that their website manager and webmaster are working actively on repairing and restoring the sites, with added security features and they hope to have both sites up and running again within the next 24-48 hours. I will post another message if I get a further update.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 22:49 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Damn it, just as I had enough funds to order books!

Thanks for letting us know and hope they get the issues resolved - for the sake of the websites and not just my impatience :D

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 13:47