Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 13:14

Was EBD influential at all?
Yes 78%  78%  [ 18 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Why, in Your Opinion, was EBD Influential?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 18:58 
Learning to play Lacrosse

Right, here's the situation: at school, we are doing projects about influential people of the 20th century. I chose EBD. We have to state why we feel that our chosen human bean is influential. This was easy.

She changed my life, and the lives of all her many readers, so that they took into mind her ideas, reflected in the ideas of the Chalet School, and, as a result, became better women.

Problem is, we also have to find out why other people think that they are influential, so, I thought, why not the CBB? So, please will you all help me and respond to this thread? I'll probably need about six to eight.

Thank you so much!

BTW, I'm not going to come out and declare myself a CBB member. I'm going to say that I stumbled across this thread during my research and someone started it. (Which is true - Someone did!)

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Why, in Your Opinion, was EBD Influential?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 19:17 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Ooh, what an interesting question. I think she was influential, but as those she influenced were mainly young and female, recognition of her influence is limited by our patriarchal society.

I would say she had a direct, simplistic influence on those reading the books of the values she espoused in the books - honesty, avoiding snobbery etc, as well as the 'schoolgirl ethic'. But also a more subtle influence in her messages about women's capabilties - being able to run a business on their own (Madge), or balance a career with family life (Joey), as well of course marrying a man (ideally a medical man of course).

Ironically she lived much of what she portrayed her characters doing, running a school, working as a writer, etc. but I imagine most of her original readership were unaware of this - those reading as the books were published and pre-biography.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 20:31 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Why do you need to lie and deny you belong to an internet forum where you canvassed the opinions of other members. Surely if you are expected to get other opinions it would be better for you to be seen as proactive.

EBD potentially influential in the way she wrote a book involving the Anschluss and her differentiation of Nazi and German, at the time the events were happening. Most GO writers writing during the War just avoided the issue completely and some authors ie blyton and oxenham avoided the war itself.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 21:36 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

If you are embarrassed to belong to the forum you shouldn't use the results from a survey on it.

You can quote the Mystery writer Val McDiarmid, who acknowledges her love of the CS, and their influence on her life in showing that girls could go to university, and that writing was a career. In the depths of YouTube - I'm sure you are capable of finding it for yourself, and I'm certainly not going to spend time looking it up for you - is an interview she gave for a BBC radio programme saying so.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 21:57 

I know, but I'm not really supposed to be on here. As for Val McDiarmid, I've already got her - thanks for the advice, though.

Thank you so much for the help so far.

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 22:43 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

She was influential for me. When I first started reading her she opened my eyes to other lands, her greatest achievement has to be the way she portrayed the War with Germany - she must have been extremely forward thinking to show that ordinary people in Austria and Germany were not the enemy.

Later on she influenced me onto becoming a writer - both here on-line and in a published book.

(A pity that you have to hide the fact that you are a member of the board - agree with the others on that - why are you not supposed to be on here? It's hardly an X-rated site)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 22:56 

My mum likes to know what I'm doing Internet-wise. If she knew I was Someone, she'd probably have some qualms about me happily nattering away to adults (and I must say, Internet safety stuff for kids all basically seems to me to say that all adults on the net are pedophiles), and she'd also probably want to read and approve all my drabbles before they can go up onto the SDL. Since no one knows I am Someone who reads my stuff, I can be freer in my writing (I'm not a romancey-type person, so I don't like admitting that I like writing the stuff.) Someone's better off as a secret.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 00:03 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

Personally i'd be more worried about people from school following me onto here and making a nuisance of themselves. That happened on another board I post on when somebody accidentally left a school computer with the board open and them logged in.

Anyhow, I think you need to make some distinction between the effect the books had when they were written and the effect they have now. For instance nowadays it seems very restricted to have a school where only two religions are recognised but at the time it would have been bold to write a book where catholicism and protestantism were treated equally.

You could pursue the theme of eqaulity as espoused by EBD and perhaps compare it to people like Angela Brazil and Enid Blyton - I think Enid Blyton had some fairly rude stuff to say about gipsies.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 00:50 

Yes, I remember thinking the girls of St. Clare's very narrow-minded when I found this line in Claudine at St. Clare's:

Quote:
It would be fun to have a French girl in the class!

I also remember all the fuss there was earlier in that series about Carlotta being half-Spanish.

Well, I'm kind of worried about people at school as well. Hacking in, that is. I'm sure some people from my old class would simply love to have some ammunition, and a fanfiction AU with some Mature-rated stuff would be exactly that.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 12:05 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

I think anyone you mentioned this site to at school would probably suss out who you were within two seconds of looking round it, most notably this thread

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 15:42 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

There's a possibility your teacher may choose to investigate further and find your post. I completely understand that you don't want your classmates to know that you're on this forum or reading the books - I remember how I felt when a friend announced I was reading the books to my entire class and teacher when I was a year or two younger than you are - but I do think you should let your Mum know what you're doing on the internet - at least let her see this site. She may not react all that well if she finds out for herself before you tell her ... and if your teacher sees this thread, they may mention it to her.

I studied languages at university (although sadly not used now) and my interest in French was started through reading the Chalet School books, so that's how EBD inspired me. She also inspired me to try my hand at writing stories.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 04:11 
Saying you only know three German words

School kids are horrible. My reputation was someone who "Reads 5 Famous Five books a night" I found out later. When it was said I was actually brave/stupid enough to say, "That's not true I only have time to read 2." I was very square. Luckily we didn't have the internet then so I couldn't be bullied at home or after school.

Anyway, EBD has probably influenced me more consciously as an adult, although I'm sure I was influenced as a child. She's made me think about religion and faith and the difference between being a really religious person and one paying lip service by going to church once a week but not acting as a Christian - you know, being nasty about people or intolerant, say, but them acting as if it's okay because they go to church.

In my darker times I have to say she made me feel bad about my weight when telling us all how Nancy Wilmot was very overweight (10 stone at 5'10" was it?) but I've since got over that!

As a child I think she may have helped me see what a good person with good character should be like (as did other writers, L.M. Montgomery is a good one) and recognise where I might be somewhat lacking :shock: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 20:52 

Thank you all so much! I've done the presentation and I'm hoping for high marks! If I get them, it'll be thanks to you!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 13:14